Hi dvdvideo,

If you're referring to the little floorstanding Merak MT66, I wrote a review of that speaker, which may be on the Merak web site. It's surprisingly good, and at the price you mention, a bargain. Here's an excerpt from the review: (the mini-monitor referred to is the Axiom M22ti):

"My final stereo tests of the Meraks put them up against a pair of premium mini-monitors from Colquhoun Audio Laboratories that retail for twice the price of the M66's. On musically dense material--(an opera recording with full orchestra, chorus, plus male and female vocalists at full throttle), the M66s sounded a bit shrill and a little veiled. They lacked the superb, uncolored articulation of the mini-monitors and the stereo image wasn't quite as wide or as deep. However, to their credit, the Meraks delivered greater bass heft than the mini-monitors and in most respects gave the expensive speakers real competition."

The thing is, the midrange and highs of the MT66's just isn't as refined or as smooth as the M22ti's, but for anyone on a budget, the Meraks deliver excellent sound for the money. They have excellent bass output to 40 Hz, with lots of heft. Although I didn't compare them to the M2ti's, I suspect the Meraks would have lots more bass output but would lack the smoothness of the M2ti's in the midrange.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)