>>There was just more subtle detail I was hearing in peoples voices. It was as it all should be heard. I tested these sounds with four peoples voices in the movie just to be certain. Bilbo, Gandalf, Galadrial, and Frodo. All utilizing different spectrums of sound. Each one had just a little bit more clarity and soundscape when set to large. Untampered.

Just had a thought... did you still have the center crossover set to 60 hz when you did this ? If so, maybe the mains were just filling in the "60-80hz hole" -- I bet the VPxxx speakers roll off a bit below 80 so you would get a small "hole" in frequency response between 60 and 80.

Other question for everyone -- in a typical DVD (let's say LOTR) do the mains get DIFFERENT lf content from the LFE channel, or do they just get another copy of the same information. In other words, is the "reduced subwoofer output" from setting the mains to Large just the fact that one copy of the information is lost, ie dropping a few dB which could be negated by raising the sub output level the same amount ?

Or, in simpler words, when we switch from "small" to "large" on the mains should we turn the sub up a bit to compensate for the lost LFE or is it more complicated than that ?

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8