sirquack:
In reply to:

nothing wrong with Pioneer, especially the Elite lineup.

Based on what I paid for it (not a lot - and it was part of a bundle w/ CD player and 5 itty bitty litte speakers and a tiny little sub) combined with the old adage "you get what you pay for", I'd always assumed it was in the class of "not bad for Costco, but not really up to home theater standards." I've been mostly pleased with it, but there are some things that annoy me.

The audio quality seems quite good and there's lots of features that I didn't expect in something that cheap (like individual calibration of all the speakers, not just a set of "balance" and "fader" controls).

The video quality is also good, but there absence of upconverting is annoying.

The old VCR is connected to the receiver via Composite. The Cable box is connected via S-Video. The DVD player is connected via Component. I had Composite to the old (I mean really old!) TV we had before the projector and all of the above went across this one connection just fine. When we connected the projector via Component, we didn't get any Cable or VCR, just DVD. So I ran ANOTHER cable (S-Video) from the receiver to the projector and Cable showed up, but not the VCR. Sigh. So now I have all three cable sets going from the receiver to the projector. I'm not looking forward to pulling that much wire through the walls when I do the ceiling mount installation.

BethR - El Dorado Hills, CA
To thine own self be true.