"When you do get your "Kind of Blue" SACD, do you mind reporting on the sound and mix? It seems like you're very familiar with the material and I'd appreciate your opinion as to whether that disc would be a good first...errrr...second foray into the genre!"

Well, I discovered that Tower will not ship an order if you have a "pre-release" item on it. I had the new Live X DVD on the order, but it is not coming out until May 10, so they were holding the entire order.
All should be here on Mon. or Tues.

And yes, I'll report back on the Kind of Blue.
And a further yes, I think that Kind of Blue IS a great intro into Jazz. This is one of the things which has driven it to "Multi Diamond" status.
The other Miles album that I always recommend as a "first jazz" album, especially if you are coming at it from the Rock side of things, is "A Tribute to Jack Johnson".
That is a Rock album, first and foremost, that just happened to be put out by one of the greatest (electric) jazz bands of all time.

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900