Last night a couple of my wine lover friends and I had our semi-annual inventory reduction night. We go through our coolers twice a year and pull out the bottles that we think are at the prime or due to turn. Each of us will pull out one of those bottles plus throw in something else we want to try with friends. We’ll make a night of it and cook up a good meal. Last night was Fillets with a creamy peppercorn sauce.

I started to take notes on each wine, but gave up. I really need to learn how to do that. The other guys were throwing words out there that were beyond me, but when they said it, I’d recognize the smell or flavor. The wine list:

93 Beringer, - Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Private Reserve
03 Lamborn Family Vineyards – Napa Valley proprietor Grown Zinfandel (Papa’s Vintage)
02 Leonetti Cellar – Cabernet Sauvignon (Walla Walla Valley)
95 William Hill - Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve
03 Dutton – Goldfield Zinfandel
01 Yalumba – Signature Cabernet Sauvignon / Shiraz / Barossa blend.
97 Silver Oak – Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

01 Dolce – Napa Valley Late Harvest Wine (desert wine)

Even though the Beringer was the most expensive bottle in the lot, I liked it the least. I think the few remaining bottles (if one were to find one) run about $250.

I ranked them like this – 7) Beringer 6) Dutton 5) Silver Oak 4) Leonetti 3) Yalumba

2 / 1 ) I like the Lamborn and William Hill the same and couldn’t decide which I liked more. Distinctly different wines but both were amazing. The other guys also preferred the William Hill over the rest of the bottles. The Leonetti was pretty damn good too, but a little young yet. In a couple years it will be something to look out for.

The Dolce was a real treat too. If you like desert wines, I definitely recommend this little bottle. Too expensive for me to buy ($150).