Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: M60ti's audition finally. Impressions Very lo
#101149 07/04/05 06:27 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Oz,

I wouldn’t let the whole Sibilance thing scare you off. Chess described my issues exactly when he mentioned cymbal crashes and them being in the same frequency range, which is the irritant I have with some of my music. I wasn’t bitching about the speakers in that thread, but just trying to learn a thing or two. It basically boils down to the fact that some CD’s will sound like crap on the 60’s. And I’ll even wager that those same CD’s will sound like crap on any bright/detailed speaker. When I listen to those CD’s, I bump up the bass a little, and it sounds just fine. If hard rock/metal was all that I listen to, then I’d probably get a different set of speakers. But I listen to just about everything, and just about everything sounds great to me. Jazz and blues in particular. The instruments sound as if the musicians were in my living room. I do not regret buying the 80’s, not one bit, and am perfectly content to keep them. I have absolutely no desires to rush out and buy something different. When I buy a second system for the HT room, it’ll most likely be an Axiom system too. Excellent customer service has become something that I will not sacrifice any more. I have enough BS in my life to where I don’t need to deal with warrantee claims and pissy service reps. Just that aspect alone makes Axiom a brand of choice for me. Making a great sounding speaker is just the icing on the cake. If someone were to drop a set of Studio 100’s on my floor and ask to trade my 80’s, I’d trade them. But not because I prefer the way they sound, just the way they look. And then I’d regret it, because I’d loose some comfort over sacrificing customer service.

#101150 07/05/05 01:59 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Thank you Ozz for correcting Chess about the sibilance issue and clapping - nothing to do with each-other. I mentioned clapping just an example of a simple test for room acoustics, and that's all I meant, just to illustrate the problems with my listening room.

I posted the sibilance issue in Club Rotel as well, and I got many responses. It makes more and more sense to blame my room acoustics. I like my M60s and would probably keep purchasing Axiom when I build my HT. Again, Ozz, I didn't mean to scare anybody off with the sibilance issue, I am sure that I would experience the same with other nice, accurate speakers similar to Axioms.

And, BTW, I totally agree with some of the comments made on JBLs.

Axiom M60s, QS4s, VP100 Onkyo TX-SR804 Oppo 970HD Rotel RB-1080/RCD-1072 REL Q150E sub, PS 3
#101151 07/05/05 04:23 AM
axiomite
axiomite
My understanding is that the general thought being put forth was 'room acoustics make the music more sibilant.'
This simply isn't possible.
If i misunderstood then i stand corrected.
But if i did get the point right, a bright or rather a reflective room, will enhance all sound frequencies, not just S sounds, with our ears being more sensitive to those in the mid and upper range. The t, k, a, c, r, s, and [pick any hard sound letter] will all be highlighted.
That's why some guy screaming in a heavy metal song can really be blasting on the ears with good, forward speakers whereas some softer whispery music/vocals just sound fantastic and clear.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#101152 07/05/05 10:42 AM
oz350z Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Bottom line is I'm no longer concerned about the sibilance or about the Axiom's sounding too bright in my environment. My room is not excessively lively and it is not excessively dull either. I think we'll be in the ballpark. I apppreciate everybody's feeback. I have learned a great deal hear. (pun intended)
Later,
oz

"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" John Lennon
#101153 07/05/05 11:01 AM
oz350z Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Actually no harm done. The s thread generated a lot of good posts from many knowledgable people.It also made me pay a little more attention in my listening audition. People are all different with different likes and dislikes. Rooms are all different. Posts like that are good. They generate a lot of information. Take as much in as you can and do with it what you will. In the end "my ears" and my wallet will guide my decision. In the mean time I'm here to gather as much information as I can. My problem tends to be I get too much information and then I can't make a decision. There are always tradeoffs for us mere mortals who have to operate within budgetary restrictions.
later,
oz

#101154 07/05/05 02:24 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
"My problem tends to be I get too much information and then I can't make a decision."

Oz
Must be a photographer thing.
I tend to have the same problem.
I also want to say if you end up getting a different brand than Axiom, please feel free to keep posting here. Its good to have you here and other informed input is always good.
Although most of us here do run Axioms, there are several who dont, and this board wouldnt be the same without them.

Last edited by bray; 07/05/05 02:26 PM.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#101155 07/05/05 03:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

also want to say if you end up getting a different brand than Axiom, please feel free to keep posting here. Its good to have you here and other informed input is always good.
Although most of us here do run Axioms, there are several who dont, and this board wouldnt be the same without them.

Absolutely! It is always nice to have different viewpoints, and also to learn about people's experiences with other speakers.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
#101156 07/05/05 03:36 PM
oz350z Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Thanks Bray. You too on the decision making hey? I drive my wife crazy. I think I'll be sticking around a while. I like this group and everybody has made me feel very welcome
later,
oz

#101157 07/07/05 11:03 PM
veteran
veteran
oz,

Hey, man. If you ever want to take a day and bring that Music Hall over and test your HDCD's, just give me a call. We can make a day of it...have a low country boil or smoke ribs or something.

Glad you enjoyed the visit.

^billy

videoslave
#101158 07/08/05 12:04 AM
oz350z Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
billy

Where you been? When are you coming to the sudio? What an invite. I might have to take you up on that. I never did get to listen to any classical on thos e fine speakers of yours.
oz

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082