Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
More distortion with 4ohm?
#1017 01/19/02 08:31 AM
ChrisR Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Ian, you previously gave me excellent advice regarding my planned speaker purchase. I have been looking at a JVC receiver, the RX-DP10VBK, rated 120W x 7, THX ultra. I noticed that it quotes less than 0.02% THD at 8ohm, but 0.07% THD for 4 ohm speakers. Realistically, will this make a difference, and would it sway you to the M60 vs. M80s? I have to say, I am a little concerned about the 80s, as I have noticed a slight tendency for bass echoing in this high angled ceiling of mine, though I like the reviews and dual tweeters/midrange! Also, do you know anything about this receiver, and how it might compare to some other choices that I have heard other folks discussing? Any reply appreciated. Even though I am still in the deciding stage, I can hardly wait to hear my new speakers!

M60s, VP150, QS8 x4 ACI Titan II sub Anthem AVM20 pre/pro Anthem PVA7 amp Panasonic DVD-RP91
Re: More distortion with 4ohm?
#1018 01/19/02 01:09 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
The difference in the distortion ratings at the various impedances will not make any difference to the performance of your system. The bass echo you have noticed in your room would not be eliminated by the speaker selection unless you decided to eliminate the low frequencies all together, which is probably not desirable. Have you tried moving the speakers out into the room slightly? This generally works pretty well for this kind of room problem.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer

Ian Colquhoun
#1019 01/19/02 06:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I would hesitate to spend that much money on a JVC product. What other products have you short listed for review?

In terms of amplifier stages in any product (amp, integrated or receiver) the power supply and output devices. Well designed amps require very sturdy power supplies to maintain quality, stable output. Output stages should be of quality electronics, with transistor output stages being superior to all IC based designs. (Tubes are another output device, but we won't venture into that territory here)

JVC MSRP for that piece is $1700, and that could get you into the Rotel, NAD area. These are better quality gear, far better designs than JVC/Pioneer/Yamaha, and above Onkyo/HK/Denon on most models.

Also, specifications should not be the main reason for purchasing any product. In some cases there are no defined standards for measurements. This can lead to confusion. There are other thread that deal with topics of specifications, and may be worth a read.

Regards,

BBIBH

#1020 01/20/02 04:04 AM
ChrisR Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Unfortunately, there are no (I mean NO) high-end audio stores where I now live. If you don't like the K-mart selection, most people around here recommend you try out Sears. So, since I've moved here, I had to make do with reviews of products. This JVC receiver (available online for $1000) got a nod from Sound and Vision mag with a Reviewer's choice 2001 award, and seemed to me to be a good "entry-level" THX Ultra certified receiver. My whole system needs to be redone eventually, but on my current budget, I was looking at some Axioms and a THX receiver, along with a basic big screen TV. This will already be miles above what I currently have, and already more than my wife wants me to spend! I might like the Denon 5800 (for example) but that is nearly 4x the price. In the $1000-1100 price range, are there any other THX -ultra receivers that you would recommend I take a look at? I would appreciate any advice you have to offer. Thanks Chris R

M60s, VP150, QS8 x4 ACI Titan II sub Anthem AVM20 pre/pro Anthem PVA7 amp Panasonic DVD-RP91
#1021 01/20/02 04:23 AM
ChrisR Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Oddly, I haven't noticed a problem with music; but then again, I only have a small pair of bookshelves with limited bass response. I have mainly noticed the echoes with talking, pet noises, clapping, yelling etc. There's an odd reverb to the room, but fortunately, the music all sounds pretty good right now. I guess I'll just have to try your speakers out in this room and see how they sound! Thanks for the input on the distortion levels. BTW, you said before that the VP150 was well timbre-matched to both the M60 and M80. Any chance with the extra tweeter on the VP150 that it might overshadow the M60 in the high-end and midrange, as compared to the M80? Same question with the dual tweeters on the QS-8 vs. the QS-4s. I guess what I'm asking is - if I have decided on the VP-150 and QS-8 as the "supporting players" in the system, would the M60s be a reasonable pairing, or would you recommend the M80? Thanks, Chris R

#1022 01/20/02 06:34 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
All the models in our line are designed for accuracy, which includes proper balance. The dual tweeter designs have the tweeters matched to the output of the rest of the frequencies in the same way the M60s do. There is no concern about more output at higher frequencies because of the extra tweeter. The extra tweeter in these models will give you more overall output and better dynamics without distortion. In the case of the VP150 you will also have an improved soundstage up front because of the ability to have the array with the tweeters on the outside. Matching with either of the M60s or M80s to the VP150 and QS8s is perfect.

Ian Colquhoun

Ian Colquhoun
#1023 01/21/02 01:47 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well the term "high end" is a subjective term. As we have seem from this thread, and others is that different people in different geographic areas have different interpretations of it.

I never thought I would say this, but....Sears does represent a better range of equipment than Kamrt/Wlamart. It is definitely NOT high end, or even anywhere near midfi.

As for your price range, we have discussed the technical merits of buying the best you can afford. I have found the Rotel RSX-972 online for $1200, and would look into that if I were you.

You are using reviews for their proper use, as a relative guide to form a list of equipment. As you mention there are no quality stores (my apologies to those who frequent the above audio departments), make sure the piece you choose can be returned if you find it severly lacking

Regards,

BBIBH

#1024 01/21/02 04:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In the latest issue of Tape Op Magazine, Rupert Neeve, Chief Engineer and President of the esteemed Neeve Company (Mixing boards) made a noteworthy comment that he felt JVC to be among the very best of consumer audio gear. Neeve claims JVC engineers actually listen to their designs and specify better-than-average components, often better than so-called hi-end companies do. FYI

#1025 01/21/02 04:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
JVC...among the best audio gear?!?!?!? ABSOLUTLEY laugable!!!...
High end? It might be as good as the mass market products it competes with, but would never stand comparison to some of the best equipment around!

#1026 01/21/02 06:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I admit it was surprising. I am quoting (or paraphrasing) Rupert Neeve, who's name and reputation is at least known. I do now know your name or credentials, but I am a coffee expert by trade. I know there are such surpises in my profession. I suspected it would generate controversy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters