Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Potential defense for the "bright" camp.
#105105 07/21/05 06:38 AM
Thasp Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Let me preface this by saying that, in less than a week, I should own m22tis.. I chose them because they seemed like the best value for the price range and I liked Axiom's scientific, practical philosophies. I'm not bashing them at all, but before ordering was wondering why some people think they are bright.

I was thinking about what could make people think they are bright or siblant when you turn the volume up. I have heard that they sound good at low volumes, yet when you play them very loud the treble is too much.

I thought of two theories to this. The first being that, perhaps the elevated high end causes them to sound "loud" at low volumes since the treble is playing louder, yet at higher levels the treble is too loud. The treble being loud at lower volumes would be the opposite of speakers with recessed treble where you have to turn it up to hear all the sound.

This didn't sound all too right.. then I thought maybe the frequency response changes when they get louder.

First I wanted to check the frequency response of a bigger speaker, the Energy C-3. At 90 and 95 dB, while the distortion goes up, the response stays the same. link. They are more expensive and bigger, so this can be expected.

The Axioms measured with slightly better on/off axis frequency response and similar distortion(link, yet look at the difference between the 1 watt measurement and the 90 dB measurement. 90 dB in an anechoic chambers would be much more in a normal room, which is a lot for a smaller bookshelf speaker to handle.

In the first image, it's relatively flat outside of a very tiny hump in the 3.5-5 KHz range. In the second image which is the 90 dB test.. the response curves up from 500 hz ever so slightly. By the time you're in the 3 KHz frequency range, it's 4-5 dB louder there than it is around 500 hz.

The smaller speaker seems to have a gradual peak throughout the treble when you push it hard. So I guess the moral would be that if you find the Axioms bright.. buy m80s?

Re: Potential defense for the "bright" camp.
#105106 07/21/05 06:45 AM
shareholder in the making
Nice analysis, but speaking from experience, if you find the M22s bright, the M80s are not going to sound any less bright.

#105107 07/21/05 08:38 AM
Thasp Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Perhaps a bad choice of words on my part, that was a tounge in cheek comment.

Last edited by Thasp; 07/21/05 08:39 AM.
#105108 07/21/05 02:59 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
I'll be the first to admit that the forwardness of the m22s thrilled me and fatigued me at the same time when I first purchased them. I had listened to very laid back speakers for many years, and it was difficult to become accustomed to the crisp sound I was hearing. But, I could not part with them. They were what I had been looking for, so I stuck it out. I did not want to go back to some boring old speaker system with bloated bass and recessed highs. I could just as well hook my old Technics back up and forget about this idea of upgrading my HT. Alan and Ian and all the dudes and ladies at this board, at least I hope there are some ladies, were very patient with me as I twisted and turned with my indecision. When the dust cleared, it became apparent to me that I had done well with choosing Axiom. I probably would have been happy with a number of brand choices. But, I would have always wondered if the m22s would have been more ideal for me. Now, I don't have to wonder.

#105109 07/21/05 03:05 PM
You mean you broke them in?

(running....ducking...looking for cover!)

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#105110 07/21/05 04:15 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
I think, I repeat, I think they broke me in.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044