Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Quick TurnTable/78 RPM question...
#110644 09/15/05 02:10 AM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
shareholder in the making
Thanks Alan (and everyone else)!

I've got a couple of days to research, so with your good info I should be able to come to a decision about how to go about this...

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#110645 09/15/05 03:31 AM
veteran
veteran
This should do the trick. I have a Grado Sonata on my turntable and it is magical. The mid-range detail is second to none.

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=AGRA78C

#110646 09/15/05 03:45 AM
buff
buff
clicky clicky

beat 'ya Peter!

#110647 09/15/05 11:36 PM
old hand
old hand
Hi Mark,

It looks like you and Bren know a lot more than I do about audio editors for the PC. I could use some recommendations. I hate the one I’m using from Roxio 6.5. It’s limited and worse it crashes with regularity.

I’ve been researching the same 78 rpm record topic lately. My wife has a large pile of 78’s she wants to play and have recorded to CD. Knowing nothing about record players when I started, I found this 78rpm website helpful in explaining the issues with playing 78’s. They also sell some record players by Esoeric Sound specifically designed for playing the old records. The Needle Doctor had all kinds of stuff too including a LARGE listing of all the players that handle 78 rpm and all kinds of 78 record needles.

www.78rpm.com
www.esotericsound.com
www.needledoctor.com

The 4 big issues for 78 records seem to be:
1) 78 rpm means anything from 60-90 rpm.
2) Special needles are required.
3) Standard RIAA equalization curves are not used you need some kind of equalizer and ideally information to set the equalization properly.
4) Vertical movement only Edison and Pathe records need some additional adjustment which I haven’t fully figured out yet. Perhaps it just connects the playing channel to both stereo outputs.

I’ve read reviews on the Audio Technics turntable. The biggest complaint was the RCA cables which are hard wired to the turntable. I can’t remember at the moment what the needle was, but I recall the speed adjustment range was fairly small.

I’d appreciate knowing what you find out. I haven’t made any decisions yet on the hardware I need to buy.

P.S. The interesting stuff on 78rpm isn't so easy to find so here is the link to the most useful information page.
http://www.78rpm.com/rescat/tech_info.htm

Last edited by Montclair; 09/15/05 11:43 PM.
#110648 09/16/05 08:53 PM
veteran
veteran
If you use Needle Doctor be prepared to wait several weeks for your cartridge. I've had 3 bad experiences (3 strikes and you're out) with them. I posted at Vinyl Asylum to ask if anyone else had had similar problems. A good 75% of the people who responded said they had the same issues. Just thought you should know.

More 78 Info
#110649 09/19/05 05:13 PM
Here's some more thoughts regarding transferring 78's and LP's to CDs.
In addition to the turntable, you'll need a phono pre-amp to create a line level output to feed to the computer. If your computer has built in audio, you can use it for casual use, but your results won't be great. If you want really good quality, then you need to invest in a dedicated sound card. Soundblaster cards are best known and OK, but you can get better cards for the same money. Expect to pay from ~$100 US for a decent card to over $1,000 for a pro model.

Also, one of the big advantages of conversion is to digitally restore the recording. I use software from Diamond Cut Productions (www.diamondcut.com). It's amazing how much you can clean up old recordings.

If you consider the Stanton Turntable, be aware that two different arms available. The straight arm was designed for DJ work, while the S-shaped arm is better suited for transferring to digital (it has less tracking error).

Keep in mind that 78's weren't recorded using the hi-fi RIAA equalization curve. Almost all phono pre-amps have RIAA eq built in. For 78's, you have to use a "reverse" RIAA curve to take out the eq, then apply the correct rollover for the decade and label. I use a special sound card with a phono pre-amp that is flat, it doesn't add any EQ. I add it using the restoration software.

Check out this site also: http://www.tracertek.com

Doug

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082