#112795 10/13/05 11:52 AM
M
mully Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
M
Hi,

I plan on ordering a bunch of samples, but I was hoping I could get some feedback to narrow down the amount of samples ordered. Most of my furniture is really dark wood, on the idea of a dark walnut. From the pictures on the website, it looks like vermont maple might be the only one close to that. Other people have said the website makes a lot of the colors look lighter, so I was wondering if anyone had seen samples of the warm cherry, sorrel pair, or the hg cherry...and if any of those are on the darker side.

The only color I've seen in person is the Boston cherry, and it's a little light compared to rest of the furniture.

Thanks

Re: Question about custom colors
#112796 10/13/05 02:12 PM
shareholder in the making
The Vermont Maple is a teeny bit darker than Boston Cherry, but fairly similar. The Warm Cherry is definitely lighter; it's got an orange hue, almost. I haven't seen the other two. The Dark Oak is fairly dark. Hardly walnut, but hey...

However, you should probably get samples from Axiom. They may seem a little pricey up front, but that entire cost goes towards the purchase of speakers.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#112797 10/13/05 03:56 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I've got Sorrel Pear, Warm Cherrywood, and Cinnamon Beech in front of me right now. All three are very, very similar in color/darkness. The main difference is grain structure. All are MUCH lighter than the Boston Cherry. (which all my speakers at home are)

If you're trying to match something darker than the Boston Cherry, I wouldn't bother getting the above mentioned samples...though very beautiful, they're not dark.

#112798 10/13/05 04:32 PM
M
mully Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
M
Thanks for the info. I'll probably just order vermont maple and the hg black samples

#112799 10/14/05 01:51 AM
M
mully Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
M
Samples came in

Some of the customs were really nice...I wish my furniture matched the warm cherry wood. Seeing how nothing matched too closely, looks like it's going to be black. The HG black looked pretty sexy, but it is just too shiny for me...it wouldn't match anything else in the room and in the morning the reflection from the sun would probably blind my dog.

I was wondering if anyone has gotten to compare the ebony sample vs. the black oak? Is the black oak as shiny as it looks in the some of the pictures on the wall o' fame, or is it more the "standard black speaker" color like Sony's, JBL, etc.. My receivers and TV are a very dull black, so I'm gonna go with whatever is a closer match.

Gotta hand it to Axiom though, the samples make life soooo much easier

#112800 10/14/05 01:18 PM
You're doing it wrong.

First you get the Axioms and then the rest of the furniture to match.

I'm joking of course, yet as I'm writing this I remember telling my wife the other day that we should have some custom bookshelves made for our living room that will match my Beech Axioms, because I haven't been too successful at matching the color exactly and don't have time to build them myself.

Our state prison is here in town and they have an excellent woodworking program. Across the street from the prison, they've opened up a store and showcase for their furniture and crafts. Excuse the pun, but the prices are a steal since there's no labor costs. You can get a large, beautiful mahogony roll-top desk for a few hundred bucks and a nice solid hardwood 24" x 72" bookshelf (nicely trimmed and finished) for $100.

Ooops, I guess that was a bit of a hijack. Sorry.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#112801 10/14/05 05:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The ebony is a (microscopically) pebbled finish, like a powder-coat on a tv. The black oak has a wood grain and a small amount of shine - there is absolutely no shine to the ebony speakers.

#112802 10/14/05 07:04 PM
M
mully Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
M
Great, thank you Aime.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic