Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: concerns about VP150
#113396 10/21/05 10:11 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

British speakers ... generally don't have power handling the equal of, say, the M80ti's, which we routinely run past 800 watts per channel in our chamber

Yikes! I'll remember that when I want to hear the sound of a jet taking off at "realistic" levels. Truth is that I want to listen at "theater sound levels". I don't listen to my music at concert levels. The loudest I ever listened to music (at a short duration) was with a direct feed of an Adcom CD player thorugh an Adcom GFA-535II (about 60W per channel) to a pair of Mirage M3-si speakers (inefficient). This was as loud as I would ever listen and would never listen to it at that level for extended periods (forget about the wife giving me what for). Unfortunately I did not have a SPL meter.
In addition to this, I bought the Monitors before I found out about Axiom. When I first saw the Axiom ad on a web site, I just thought "blah, blah, blah... another speaker company" not realizing that it was a Canadian manufacturer.

In reply to:

Come to think of it, the timbral blend with the center and main speakers is really crucial, so why aren't you considering a Monitor Audio center channel speaker? Or, alternatively, getting two Axiom main speakers that will provide an excellent timbral match to the VP100?

Hey I thought you were supposed to be the resident technical expert, not marketing !

I had always thought about that issue. It has been talked about for ages, ensuring that the timbral qualities of the center matched the mains. When I had brought this issue up with our local audiophile shop (where I originally bought my Mirage speakers and who also carry Montior Audio), they told me that, while they used to tell everyone that timber matching is important, they now believe that for home theater it doesn't really make that much of a difference.

This confused the heck out of me since I don't get the opportunity to listen to the effects of different drivers on home theater listening. I usually have to trust people who do listen to these types of setups for a living (much like yourself). I honestly believed that I could get away with "close enough". The Axioms use metal cone drivers as does the Monitor Audio (albeit coated). They are both accurate speakers.

I have indeed considered selling the Monitors for a pair of Axioms, especially since Axiom came out with the "Mounties". However, I'd still be fine with M22ti speakers mounted from brackes. That way I could aim them.

If a M22ti sounds the same as a M80 with just less output (and obviously less low frequency...I will use a sub anyway), then that is what I would "need".

What speakers do you currently use for listening to music?

#113397 10/21/05 10:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi BruceH,

I currently use M22ti' s, a VP100, QS8s and an EP500 sub. The M22ti's are on an A/B switcher so I can instantly switch to a pair of M80ti's up front. In my modest living room (2,100 cu ft.), running in 5.1, the M22ti's and M80ti's are extremely close, so close that I have to look at the switch box to see whether A or B is running.

I used to use a pair of Mirage M3 bipolar floorstanding speakers in a stereo configuration with another A/B switcher that went to a pair of Paradigm Reference Studio 20s running with a subwoofer.

Overall, I agree with you that assuming you have neutral well-designed main speakers and a similarly neutral center, you can mix brands. I'd disagree with the audio shop guys who said it doesn't make much difference. I've detected really annoying coloration with different brands of centers that I've substituted for the VP100 or VP150.

To my ear, it shows up very quickly on dialog or vocals, male or female, because our hearing is so sensitive to midrange sounds.

If you are going to mix brands, the surrounds are the least critical. Or rather, you're not as aware of crummy surround speakers unless you concentrate on their flaws and remove your attention from the movie and front soundstage.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#113398 10/21/05 10:37 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
I fell in love with my VP100 right out of the box. It gives you clear, detailed dialogue. End of story. If the 150 is the 100, but bigger and better it would rock. I can't tell you if this is true or not, since I've never heard the 150. What I do know is that the 100 sounds bigger than it looks. Judging from my experience with the 100, I don't think you can go wrong either way. As a friend of mine used to say, "It's all good."

#113399 10/22/05 04:30 AM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

I currently use M22ti' s, a VP100, QS8s and an EP500 sub.

I guess I am suprised to see you use QS8s. I was sort of expecting QS4s.

As near as I can tell from the specs, the VP100 apears to be a smaller version of the VP150. You also mentioned in another post having two centers on top and bottom of the screen for, shall I say, a larger sweet spot. Since the VP150 uses more drivers and a different configuration of drivers, is the soundstage wider with the VP150? That is, perhaps the question should be is it more appropriate to use a VP150 in a wider room?

My main objective is to have the best quality sound in as small a package as would reasonably allow (hence why I sold my M3-si speakers).

In achieving this, there is usally a minimum size of speaker that would fit this requirement and I am getting the impression that, for Axiom's offerings, the M22ti coupled with a decent subwoofer should fit the bill in my future room. It would seem that the M80 simply has more drivers for higher output, however they do also separate midrange with dedicated drivers. Any reason why the M22ti does not have a single midrange and a single woofer? Was it intended that the 5.25" drivers be best suited to mid and mid low and that the M22ti's are supposed to be coupled with a sub?

I was originally going to purchase the Monitor Audio Gold bookshelf speakers until I ran across a great deal on their top model (again prior to my awareness of Axiom). Interestingly enough I didn't quite like the Monitor Audio Silver or Bronze series.

Any particular reason for choosing the QS8s over the QS4s for the surrounds? Do they sound better (or perhaps rather, fuller) to you?

#113400 10/26/05 05:14 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

is the soundstage wider with the VP150?

Not really. Just a fuller sound and greater power handling ability due to the extra drivers .

In reply to:

Any reason why the M22ti does not have a single midrange and a single woofer? Was it intended that the 5.25" drivers be best suited to mid and mid low and that the M22ti's are supposed to be coupled with a sub?

That is it. This is a reasonable maximum size for a bookshelf and while providing admirable bass for this size of speaker, it is intended that low frequencies are more efficiently handled handled well by a large enclosure (sub-woofer or fullrange M50 to M80 speakers).

In reply to:

Any particular reason for choosing the QS8s over the QS4s for the surrounds? Do they sound better (or perhaps rather, fuller) to you?

Personal preference. The QS8s have a slightly lower frequency response. This allows the subwoofer to handle frequencies from 70-80 Hz and lower rather than 85-90 Hz as would be preferred with the QS4s.

While some would debate that frequencies below 100Hz are non-directional, there are others that state that 80 Hz is the magic number. This likely becomes a personal preference of the final user. The QS8 guarantees that all non-directional information will be sent to the sub-woofer. For some users who have no directional hearing below 100 Hz, the QS4 will be more than adequate.

Again, this comes down to a user's perceived hearing and personal preferences. If the QS4s work fine, why pay the extra money on the QS8s if you don't need them, unless you're trying to compensate for something else?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup