Does Fluance even compare?
#1138 01/24/02 06:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Has anyone heard any Fluance speakers? I was looking at the Fluance SM938 (www.fluance.com) , but I don’t know….I’m thinking about getting the m22ti’s, because of all the good reviews, but I was hoping someone out there had heard the Fluance’s, and could tell me what they think.

Re: Does Fluance even compare?
#1139 01/24/02 02:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have not heard them, or even heard OF them. I have a lot of "listening chair and test bench" time in this industry, and I would hesitate to say they would not be worthy of your expectations. Especially compared to your other choice. Now, I am basing this soley on what I see and read on their website. They claim "high-end sound"....as compared to which standard? Compared to what equipment?

As for the reviews, some comments tend to suggest "low end market". Those who have read my (suffered through??? LOL) posts realize that I do not place complete value in reviews. The reviews they posted are from end users. I understand that is were the product goes, but I would like to understand what these folks upgraded from? Compared to tin cans and string, even cheap Kmart/Walmart speakers would sound better! Compared to Wilson or Reference 3a....I hardly doubt it.

Also, I see no magazine reviews. Again, I place little value in these, but the fact that a magazine would put it's journalistic integrity on the line by making comments does mean something.

Also 5 ""high-end sound" speakers for $200.00????

Regards,

BBIBH

#1140 01/24/02 03:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree that you can’t rely on reviews. The only problem is, I can’t hear any of these speakers (Axiom or Fluance) before I get them. Granted Axiom offers a 30 day money back guaranty, but that would be a hassle, and I would have to cover the ship back costs. Thus, I want to get as much out of the reviews out there as I can, and do as much research as I can before I take the plunge and try the Axiom’s. Hopefully this research pays off, and the end result is that I end up happy with what I get.

I get the same impression you get about the Fluances (being cheap, low-end). With the Axiom’s, I have seen both good reviews form the end-users, and also from soundstage. This at least gives me a comparison of what an audiophile thinks of the axiom speaker verses a speaker that cost way over my budget.

One of the main things I’m holding off getting a set of the M22ti’s is because I wanted a tower speaker. Unfortunately, the only Axiom tower that I can afford (and even at this, it is over my “budget” that I had in mind) are the Factory Outlet M40ti’s. The reason I wanted towers was that I wanted to make sure the sound could fill a good-sized room and sound good. I’m sure that m40’s are way better then what I have now, but from the reviews I have read, the m40’s are really good, but the m22’s are exceptionally good. I do have a sub (ok, maybe not an audiophile sub) so I don’t think bass is a concern if I go with the m22’s. None of my equipment is Hi-end. I have a Sony 945 (or something) DTS receiver/amp, and a JBL PB12 (I think) sub. If I do go with the M22’s, I’ll try and get the factory outlet ones, because of my buget, and again, it looks ike there is a lot of satisfied customers.

#1141 01/24/02 09:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ahhh.....another microeconomics(budget) situation. I think we can all relate to this at some point or other in our lives.

I have not heard the M22's, but I have a dealer dropping a couple of pair new Axiom's off for me to listen to/test. I plan on having the 22's and a larger (hopefully 60 or 80) to measure (this is a serious hobby for me). I want to see how they compare to some of my pieces in my systems. As a point of reference, I own older Axiom AX3, about M50 or M60 level in the present line. I have found them to be very good speakers. I auditioned these models, and chose the Axioms - PSB(good), Paradigm(ok), Infinity(bad), Mission(ok), Axiom(very good), all in the same price range in my listening room and system. Granted this was 10+ years ago, I have no dount that Ian and the gang have improved on their work since. I have utilized them for warranty work since then, and always felt that they valued the customer.

THAT is something that most companies fail trying to do.

#1142 01/24/02 09:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sorry, I was not logged in when I posted this the first time ;(

Ahhh.....another microeconomics(budget) situation. I think we can all relate to this at some
point or other in our lives.

I have not heard the M22's, but I have a dealer dropping a couple of pair new Axiom's off for
me to listen to/test. I plan on having the 22's and a larger (hopefully 60 or 80) to measure
(this is a serious hobby for me). I want to see how they compare to some of my pieces in my
systems. As a point of reference, I own older Axiom AX3, about M50 or M60 level in the
present line. I have found them to be very good speakers. I auditioned these models, and
chose the Axioms - PSB(good), Paradigm(ok), Infinity(bad), Mission(ok), Axiom(very good),
all in the same price range in my listening room and system. Granted this was 10+ years ago,
I have no dount that Ian and the gang have improved on their work since. I have utilized
them for warranty work since then, and always felt that they valued the customer.

THAT is something that most companies fail trying to do.

Regards,

BBIBH

#1143 01/24/02 11:21 PM
M
M
I wouldn't be afraid to get the M40s in your case. They are very good speakers, and the reviews are not really making much of a differentiation between them and the M22s. I doubt that your JBL sub would integrate very well with the M22s, so you wouldn't get the bass you're looking for and that the M40s would provide. Plus the M40s will certainly be more than adequate for your electronics for what seems to be at least the foreseeable future for you. Even if the M22s revealed more than the M40s, that might not be too good a thing for you! One thing I find advantageous about floorstanders (I have the M40s) is that it's quite easy to pick them up and move them around if you need to. Tougher to do with stand-mounted speakers.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044