Print Thread
Rate Thread
Calibrating Speakers
#115035 11/05/05 04:27 AM
cgolf Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I've been asking some questions lately about calibrating speakers and as usual have gotten great answers and lots of great advice. Now I'm confused!!! Here is what I did. I set my volume control to 0.0 and the rat shack meter to 70db, C & slow.

I used the receiver test tones and started with the left front. I was using 75db as my benchmark so I adjusted the front left to 75db which was a +5 on the receiver. Adjusted all the speakers using the meter and ended up with both fronts & center at +5; sub at +6.5 (seems high); left surround at +2.5 & right surround at +3. These all seem high but that's just my opinion.

Now I just read where you should adjust the front left speaker to 75db on the meter by adjusting the volume control and then setting the other speakers.

Are these 2 methods really the same or is there some difference? I'm confused!!!

Re: Calibrating Speakers
#115036 11/05/05 04:56 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Yes, the methods are basically the same. The way you did it is just fine.

Adjusting the front left speaker, beginning with it set at "0" in the speaker setup menu, then setting it to 75dB on the meter by adjusting the master volume control, then leaving the master volume set, and setting the other speakers to match using the settings in the receiver's speaker menu, is fine also.

The only difference is, doing it the way you did, your "Reference" setting on the receiver's master volume is 0.0, and the speaker settings in your receiver's speaker setup menu are all at +something. If you do it the other way, your "Reference" setting on the receiver's master volume will be about +5, and the speaker settings in your receiver's speaker setup menu will have your fronts and center about "0," your left surround should be about -2.5, and your right surround should be about -2, and you sub should be about +1.5. If you're more comfortable with that, by all means do it that way.

You can always change the sub volume by using the volume control on the sub itself. If you feel that +1.5 is too high, turn the volume up a bit using the volume control on the subwoofer, and then lower the sub setting in the speaker setup menu until the meter reads 75dB again.

What matters most is that each speaker is matched to the others at 75dB, i.e. balanced. Either method will achieve that. Do it the way that makes you the most comfortable.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020