AxiomAudio Blog

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
2 registered (Ian, Boltron), 40 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13317 Members
11 Forums
22875 Topics
404231 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17768
pmbuko 16273
SirQuack 13333
CV 11194
MarkSJohnson 10878
Meanwhile On Facebook

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

A New Look For Our Amps and Pre-amps? Adding yet another level of customization...

Hurry - sale ends Sunday!

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1170 - 01/25/02 01:32 PM Impedence Question
HydraShok Offline

I just bought an onkyo 595 which can drive 4 ohm speakers. I haven't hooked it up yet, it just arrived. Currently I have a mismatched system (got a good deal from a friend who was upgrading). They are all 8 ohm compatible. Definitive BP 8B's for mains, cerwin vega center, yamaha bookshelf rears. I don't currently have a sub because I live in an apt.

The weakest link in my system is my center and I would like to upgrade it to a vp150, but I wouldn't be upgrading the rest of the speakers until later.

Now I have a question. Is it a problem for the onkyo to drive a 4ohm center when all the other speakers are 8ohm? There is a switch on the back of the onkyo for 4 ohm speakers and the second position is for 6 ohm + speakers, so I assume I'd have to upgrade all my speakers to 4 ohm (epic 80 sysem) at once or switch to a vp100. Thanks.

#1171 - 01/25/02 03:56 PM Re: Impedence Question
BBIBH Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Canada
You should be fine running the combination you have. If the Onkyo can select the impedance for each output, you should tune it accordingly. I suspect it is a setting for all speaker outputs, and would recommend setting the system up, with speakers connected and testing with both. You probably will/should set it for the majority of the speakers impedances - 6+.

You may be suprised at this, but the weakest link are the Yamaha speakers. The Definitives are decent, and the Vega is ok. I make this statement without knowing the model numbers of the pieces. The only piece of musical gear from Yamaha that I would recommend is a Baby Grand Piano.

Your choice of the Onkyo is made, so we will bypass that. You may notice a change in vocal quality as the voice progresses through the speakers ( centre=>fronts=>rears) The main benefit to geting a matched set by one manufacturer is they should be matched for tonal quality and balance. The voice should not"smear" or change tone when moving around the spectrum.

Regards,

BBIBH

Mike

#1172 - 01/25/02 04:14 PM Re: Impedence Question
HydraShok Offline

Thanks for the response. Upon rereading my post I realize i didn't say what I wanted it to say. I listed my current speakers simply to give some background. I want to replace my Vega center right away. Secondarily I will be swapping out the yamahas. All my current speakers are 8 ohm. The Axiom 150 center channel is what I'd like to upgrade to. The question is: Can the onkyo drive a 4ohm speaker at the same time it is driving my remaining 8 ohm speakers? I cannot afford to get all the speakers at once, and if I can't drive a single 4 ohm + 4 other 8ohm speakers, I'll get the Axiom 100 center instead.

#1173 - 01/25/02 07:09 PM Re: Impedence Question
BBIBH Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Canada
You should have no difficulty with this. As I mentioned, you may need to test the configuration, and adjust as mecessary to the other setting.

Regards,

BBIBH

Mike

#1174 - 01/26/02 07:44 AM Re: Impedence Question
Ian Online   content
President
aficionado

The VP150 will work just fine on the 6-ohm + setting on your Onkyo. Only once you have the M80s in the front will you need to change it to the 4-ohm setting.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.