Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: What is your dream concert?
#119141 02/02/06 05:30 PM
aficionado
aficionado
The band I was in at the time was kind of a goofy nerd-rock thing. We had songs with titles like "Cajun Chipmunk Head Mush." There was an unbelievable explosion in the NW starting around 88/89 or so, but it had been simmering for a few years before that. People only remember the "grunge" kings like Nirvana or Pearl Jam (Mookie Blaylock is how they are remembered here) but you could go to a show any night of the week and see 3,4,5 bands that had completely different styles. Everybody knew and supported each other. I also mixed FOH at a couple of places in town which was a great way to see acts from all over the place. I got stuck doing Wednesday "New Band Night" at Belmont's Inn for a few months. One of the bands that played almost every Wednesday was Everclear. They went on to slightly bigger things. Being in the community plus being a "sound guy" had the advantage of almost NEVER having to pay for shows. I saw all of the NW acts plus Belly, Alanis Morissette (in a medium-sized club maybe 2 or 3 weeks after her album was released), Fishbone a few times, Green Day (in the smaller upstairs "living room" section of LaLuna just before their album was released), Lenny Kravitz, Weezer, and just a whole bunch more for free. It was a great time. Funny thing is the band that had the most buzz locally never really made it. That was Mudhoney. One note: The term "Grunge" was ALWAYS said with a derisive sneer in the NW. The term "Alternative" reached that status eventually as well. By the time Nordstom's started stocking Doc Martens and pre-ripped jeans the whole thing had already become a joke.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
#119142 02/03/06 07:32 PM
aficionado
aficionado
interesting story Mark, thanks for sharing. I guess you are right that Mudhoney didn't really "make it big" to the level that a PJ or Nirvana did, but were still as highly critically acclaimed as either of them. Tough to not think of Grunge/Alternative without considering Mudhoney as pioneers. Touch Me I'm Sick is, without a doubt, one of the greatest songs of all time.

"Chickens don't clap."
#119143 02/03/06 09:45 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

Touch Me I'm Sick is, without a doubt, one of the greatest songs of all time.

Yes it is! THAT song really represented the scene more than any other, which is why Mudhoney is revered above most around here.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 226 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup