Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Who needs HD-DVD or Blue Ray?!
#119300 12/08/05 07:44 AM
shareholder in the making
You'd be amazed at how fast the new drives are getting. I'm seeing transfer rates of around 1.2-1.5 GB/minute on the LTO2 units (at least when they're directly connected to the machine with the storage array on it). I think SDLTs are similar.

BTW, (don't work for them or anything) Breece Hill is relatively affordable in terms of autoloaders, and they have a 3 year advance replacement warranty. Which I will probably get to take advantage of tomorrow. Sigh.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#119301 12/08/05 09:41 AM
devotee
devotee
I keep wondering how quickly HD movies will be released. I have a feeling that if they don't sell well initially (which I don't think they will for a couple of years for numerous reasons), many movies will take years before their appearance on high definition disks.

#119302 12/08/05 12:29 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Think I'll ask the guy down the street with the Bose system flanking his RCA TV and see what he thinks about replacing his current DVD player.

Should be enlightning.

#119303 12/08/05 03:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes, they are pretty fast. Our SDLT are getting up to 30 MB/sec, or 1.75GB a minute = 100GB an hour. This is for the local SAN attached Unix servers. The other systems we backup over the LAN have gotten up to 20MB/sec, if they are running GigEthernet. I've noticed quite a speed variance between server backups that is attributed to the CPU/system speed of the server that's being backed up.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
#119304 12/08/05 06:16 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Not bad at all. I'm sure we are going to have to move up to newer tech on our backup system within the next year or so. We already have Gig-E in our server room and to about half of the offfices and cubes. Our servers are all less than 3 years old and most less than a year. We just installed a SAN 2 months ago. So we shouldn't have any severe bottlenecks limiting a high-speed backup solution. It's just talking the people "upstairs" into it. Since the other SA/NE and I came aboard we have dragged them kicking screaming into an "enterprise-level" server room. When we started the "servers" were mostly desktop computers sitting UNDER desks with a couple of out-of-warranty dual proc servers for mail and file serving. They were also using atrocious Dell switches. Since then we have crowbarred them into a dedicated server room, new servers, an ATL, Cisco network gear (including PIX firewalls, they were using Microsoft Proxy server! UGH!), a new UPS solution (instead of a mix of desktop UPS's) and some odds and ends. Our server availability is within a very small fraction of 100%. Network outages are almost nonextistent. But they just don't get the idea that we need a more flexible backup solution.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
#119305 12/08/05 08:31 PM
buff
buff
"These new holographic discs are amazing, but HD-DVD and BlueRay are both capable of holding a full movie at 1920x1080, that much added storage isn't needed for consumer movies."

In the near future (within 20 years), quotes such as these come back as looking pretty darn funny!

http://ifaq.wap.org/computers/famousquotes.html

http://www.pcsndreams.com/Pages/TechQuotes1.htm

Right along the same lines as;
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

or better yet;
640K ought to be enough for anybody.
-Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates, 1981

The truth is, that we can't accurately predict what technologies of the future will emerge. Yes, everything appears to be getting smaller and everything appears to be going faster, but who would have thought that optical media would bring full length motion pictures, with descrete multi-channel audio (not to mention extras) into our homes, back in the 1940s!

As far as the entertainment industry's use of holographic storage? It will be used in the future, perhaps not in our homes, so much as future digitally projected films at your local "cine-mall" (did I just coin a new word?) requiring even greater amounts of data.

Heck, perhaps 3D holographic entertainment may become a reality. Given the larger amount of data required to reproduce three dimensional image, technology such as this may actually prove to be an integral componant.

...just my observational $.02

Regards,
Spence

Last edited by Spence; 12/08/05 08:37 PM.

"Someone tries to kill you - you kill 'em right back!" Capt. Mal Reynolds
#119306 12/08/05 08:41 PM

I've read these quotes before and I've always wondered how accurate some of these are. I would be easy to imagine that Bill Gates actually said "640K ought to be enough for anybody [at this point in time]." Or, that Tom Watson said "I think there is a world market for maybe five [super] computers."

It's not that I can't fathom people saying things without foresight, but it's hard to believe that these people had any success having that little foresight into their own industry.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#119307 12/08/05 08:53 PM
buff
buff
...but they must be true, I found them on the internet!

Seriously, you are right on the mark, ...Mark. I was just making a point (hopefully a humorous one, alas I am oft not "got").

...and for the record, I didn't coin a new word (Cine-Mall), it is in use all over the internet. I've been scooped again!

Regards,

Spence

"Someone tries to kill you - you kill 'em right back!" Capt. Mal Reynolds
#119308 12/08/05 09:16 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I believe the Gates quote was along the lines of "I can't see anyone needing more than 640K in the forseeable future." Remember that the developer community at the time had been going out of their way for years to create the smallest, most efficient code they could. Nowadays it's a disgusting, bloated resource orgy as far as most commercial software is concerned. Woz just commented on it the other day.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
#119309 12/08/05 09:21 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I forgot to add: The computer folks at the time knew that 32-bit computing was on the horizon as far as the PC platform goes, with it's extended memory capabilties and so forth. It just happened faster than they thought it would. MS was already looking into the system that eventually became Windows NT, which was meant to be an enterprise server and workstation solution. That people would need 32-bit and huge amounts of memory on a standard desktop withing a few years was seemingly out of the question. It's a matter of being overwhelmed by a situation you helped to create.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters