Re: Question from the Technologically Challenged
#122951 01/05/06 01:46 PM
S
Skimble Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
I am definitely leaning toward an HK receiver--based on what I've read and what you all have said, they seem to be quality receivers that should meet my needs. A few more questions if I may. Thoughts on any or all are much appreciated.

(1) The 435-Z is right in the price range I was thinking about. Looks like the 635-Z is about $200 more. Do you think there are differences that justify the additional $200 for my purposes described above? As I noted earlier, I am more than willing to pay up if it is worthwhile (though the approx. $1700 for the pieces dakkon recommended above is more than I think is justified for a dork like me). As I can't figure out if it is worthwhile, thought I'd ask your thoughts.

(2) There also is a 630-Z that is the same price as the 435-Z. Is the 630 an earlier model? Again, between the two what are your thoughts on the better bet?

(3) It does not look like these models have any HDMI inputs or outputs. I like the idea of going with a splitter if my cable box and TV are compatible, but as I thought about it I realize I'm confused about how all this works if the receiver has no HDMI inputs or outputs. How would things get connected together (since I thought everything went through the receiver) and where would the HDMI splitter and HDMI cables come into play? I will also look into a cable card, but my cable box provides TIVO-like capabilities (rewind or pause live shows) that I assume are not available with a card. As She Who Must Be Obeyed is a real talker with bad timing on when she interrupts things, having pause and rewind for sports is a big plus for me!

(4) kcarlile mentioned an H/K Bridge for the IPOD. Do you know if that is part of the receiver itself or something purchased separately and hooked into the receiver? If it is part of the receiver itself, would the models above have it? (I tried to search to answer this one myself, but struck out).

(5) The OPPO DVD player sounds like a good bet with an HDMI hookup. JohnK and dakkon both mentioned the Sony 400 disk DVD player. Any thoughts on how the picture quality of the Sony will compare to the OPPO on HDMI? If I listen to music it most likely will be through my IPOD (I've downloaded an awful lot of good music from ITunes, which is not on a CD), so the disk changer isn't a big plus for me--more interested in PQ. However, I have a Sony credit card that, with the "Sony Bucks" I have, would make the price of the OPPO and Sony pretty close. So, I would go with the additional flexibility of the Sony if the PQ will be virtually the same as the OPPO.

(6) Finally, on connecting the speakers themselves, are banana plugs or the like worthwhile, or should I just strip the wire and connect it directly to the speakers and receiver.

You guys have been really helpful. I appreciate it very much. There should be a special place in heaven--with kick-ass home theatre--for people like you willing to help we less learned.

#122952 01/05/06 02:44 PM
WJJ Offline
regular
regular
H/K also has an auction store on ebay to sell its factory refurbished items, sold with full factory warranty. I picked up the 635 for $534, + $35 shipping. I had checked other online stores, it seems the lowest price for a full new unit is around $690 plus shipping.

Wayne

#122953 01/05/06 03:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

(1) The 435-Z is right in the price range I was thinking about. Looks like the 635-Z is about $200 more. Do you think there are differences that justify the additional $200 for my purposes described above? As I noted earlier, I am more than willing to pay up if it is worthwhile (though the approx. $1700 for the pieces dakkon recommended above is more than I think is justified for a dork like me). As I can't figure out if it is worthwhile, thought I'd ask your thoughts.

(2) There also is a 630-Z that is the same price as the 435-Z. Is the 630 an earlier model? Again, between the two what are your thoughts on the better bet?

Just my opinion, but I don't think the extra $200 is worth it. Were it I, I'd go with the 435Z. The 630Z is, indeed, as earlier model. Doesn't have PLIIx, I don't believe. Again, the 435Z would be my choice.

In reply to:

(3) It does not look like these models have any HDMI inputs or outputs. I like the idea of going with a splitter if my cable box and TV are compatible, but as I thought about it I realize I'm confused about how all this works if the receiver has no HDMI inputs or outputs. How would things get connected together (since I thought everything went through the receiver) and where would the HDMI splitter and HDMI cables come into play? I will also look into a cable card, but my cable box provides TIVO-like capabilities (rewind or pause live shows) that I assume are not available with a card. As She Who Must Be Obeyed is a real talker with bad timing on when she interrupts things, having pause and rewind for sports is a big plus for me!

I need to straighten something out immediately because there is a difference between an HDMI "SPLITTER," and an HDMI "SWITCH," and I wouldn't want you to end up with the wrong device. An HDMI "SPLITTER" enables the signal from one source to be sent to several displays.

An HDMI "SWITCH" enables the signals from several sources to be sent to one display.

If you decide to go in this direction, be sure you get an HDMI "SWITCH," not an HDMI "SPLITTER."

Using a switch, no video would go through the receiver. You'd run an HDMI cable from both your cable box and DVD player to the 2 inputs on the switch, and then a single HDMI cable from the switch to your TV. For audio, you would run a digital audio cable (either coaxial or optical) from both your cable box and DVD Player to your receiver.

The down side to this is when you switch from, say, watching TV to watching a video, you have to switch the audio source in the receiver, AND the video source in the switch. The switches have remotes, so it isn't all that complicated. If you use a universal remote with macro capability, as I do, this is no problem at all.

If you were able to run both the audio AND the video through the receiver (either by eschewing HDMI connections and using component video connections from your sources to the 435Z, or by using a much more expensive receiver with HDMI switching) you would only have to change one setting in the receiver which would switch BOTH the audio and the video at the same time.

In reply to:

(4) kcarlile mentioned an H/K Bridge for the IPOD. Do you know if that is part of the receiver itself or something purchased separately and hooked into the receiver? If it is part of the receiver itself, would the models above have it? (I tried to search to answer this one myself, but struck out).

I'm STILL IPOD challenged!

In reply to:

(5) The OPPO DVD player sounds like a good bet with an HDMI hookup. JohnK and dakkon both mentioned the Sony 400 disk DVD player. Any thoughts on how the picture quality of the Sony will compare to the OPPO on HDMI? If I listen to music it most likely will be through my IPOD (I've downloaded an awful lot of good music from ITunes, which is not on a CD), so the disk changer isn't a big plus for me--more interested in PQ. However, I have a Sony credit card that, with the "Sony Bucks" I have, would make the price of the OPPO and Sony pretty close. So, I would go with the additional flexibility of the Sony if the PQ will be virtually the same as the OPPO.

I don't think the picture from the Sony would be as good as the picture from the Oppo. The question is, would you notice the difference. Most of us average folks, who are not hip to macroblocking, and edge enhancement, and other video problems, wouldn't. However, being anal retentive, I get caught up in the old "even if I can't see it, I just might know it's there, and it would bother me anyway" trap.

Does the Sony have an HDMI or DVI video output? If not you could connect it to one of your TV's component inputs, thus freeing the HDMI input on your TV for your Hi Def cable box. This would eliminate the need for the HDMI switch. You would still have to switch two things, like you did with the switch; the audio source in the receiver, and the video source in your TV. But, though sacrificing a little picture quality with the Sony by connecting via a component hookup (which you may or may not notice), you'd save the cost of the HDMI switch. Decisions, decisions. It's all so confusing, isn't it?

In reply to:

(6) Finally, on connecting the speakers themselves, are banana plugs or the like worthwhile, or should I just strip the wire and connect it directly to the speakers and receiver.

Mixed thoughts on this. The conventional wisdom is, neither connection is sonically superior to the other (assuming the connection is properly made), and unless you're going to be unplugging and replugging your speakers often, banana plugs are not necessary, and only put one more link in the chain where things could go wrong. That being said, I use banana plugs. No, I don't unplug my speakers often. But when I do, it sure is easier to do it with bananas. The binding posts on many receivers are very close together and screwing and unscrewing them (no cracks, Peter ) in those tight quarters can be a real pain in the fingers. Literally!

I used to be a very competent solderer, but like any art, unless you practice it often, you STINK at it. This is an apt description of my current soldering skills. So, I use these (or ones like them) on the receiver end of my speaker cables.

Dual Banana Plugs

Screws tighten the wire to the banana plug. NO SOLDERING! Whew!

And these on the speaker end of the cables, where possible.

Screw Type Banana Plugs

As you can see, they just screw apart and you insert about 1/2 inch of bare wire through the hole in the bottom half of the plug, fan out the wire evenly, bend in down over the top edge of the bottom half of the plug and screw the top half back on. Viola. NO SOLDERING! Whew!

My surrounds, which hang on the wall, don't have room for banana plugs, so I just use a bare wire connection for those.

But remember. These are NOT going to sound any better than bare wire connections, and are a heck of a lot more expensive.

In reply to:

You guys have been really helpful. I appreciate it very much. There should be a special place in heaven--with kick-ass home theatre--for people like you willing to help we less learned.

You're very welcome. Probably all of us have been helped, by others, to understand this complicated hobby. I know I STILL get help here, and at other forums. We just enjoy helping each other avoid the mistakes we ourselves have made, and aid in the selection of equipment that will please and satisfy.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#122954 01/05/06 04:22 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I hope you saved this post in Word on something similar. You just have to cut andd paste to answer questions.

Nice post.

#122955 01/05/06 04:47 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ajax...are those the ridiculously expensive monster cables I see there.... *gasp*

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
#122956 01/05/06 04:49 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

You didn't see they say Radio Shack on them.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#122957 01/05/06 04:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks Doug. Sometimes, when I think I actually have enough knowledge to be of some help, I get so excited that I get carried away.

You're right! I shoulda saved that post in a word document. Did I think to do that? NOOOOOOOO!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#122958 01/05/06 05:24 PM
S
Skimble Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
Ajax: Thanks very much. That information is extremely helpful. I probably would have screwed up on the splitter vs. switch question even though someone was nice enough to post a link directly to what I need. The information about the wire hook-ups also is great.

Based on this information, I am leaning toward the 435-Z and the Oppo. I probably wouldn't notice the difference between the Oppo and the Sony, but I too definitely fall into the "even if I can't see it, I just might know it's there, and it would bother me anyway." Since my main purpose is movies not music, seems like the better choice.

And thanks WJJ. I'll check that e-bay auction site out. (Well, with the help of my wife, who actually knows how e-bay works).

Any other thoughts folks have is appreciated. I am getting more and more interested in this stuff as I learn more about it (it at first was purely a chore trying to figure this out--which is why I've put it off for at least six months).

And--my new speakers were just delivered to my office! Had them delivered here rather than at home so they don't sit in the rain. I'll get them home this weekend.

#122959 01/05/06 06:34 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
The iPod bridge is a separate part, but it only works with the x40 series of receivers (currently 140, 240, and 340, I think). It allows you to control the 'pod with H/K remote (if you enjoy that kind of pain) and displays the track list on the front panel or OSD of the receiver.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#122960 01/05/06 06:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ajax, do the Radio Shack bananna cables protrude from the back of QS8/QS4 speakers? Does this make them unmountable on the wall brakets?

I really need some sort of easy-does-it connection because I will be moving my speakers every year. I almost punched out the stupid binding posts on the back of my receiver when I found out I had to spend another 5 minutes screwing/unscrewing a cable when I connected the Center speaker to the Front Left connection. Banana clips would take all of....a half a second.

The binding posts on the axiom speakers are much nicer, and don't muck up and bend the bare wire ends out of shape like the receiver ones do. I guess I could just run bare wire on the speaker side, but all around banana clips might be nice.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020