Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
New Sony SXRD
#123304 01/07/06 03:19 PM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
It appears the dumbo ears are gone, it's thinner, and it has 1080p compatible hdmi inputs. It it looks good picutre wise compared to what else is out there, which I would expect it would based on the first round of SXRD that came out, I may have found a TV.

http://msn-cnet.com.com/4831-11405_1-6413188.html?tag=txt

Wow...I even figured out how to do a real link finally

Re: New Sony SXRD
#123305 01/07/06 03:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Very interesting!

I had heard rumors that the dumbo ears would be removed because Sony received a lot of negative comments about them.

With the possible exception of some games, I don't know what the HDMI 1080P ports would be useful for??? The main problem, if you want to call it a problem, with my SXRD is that the TV's HDMI will NOT pass/ receive multichannel audio. Go Figure.

The Rat. M80s, VP-150, QS8s, SVS PC 20-39+, OPPO, Onkyo 703s, Harmony 880 Sony 60" SXRD HDTV
#123306 01/07/06 06:37 PM
shareholder in the making
Nice TV! Finally what I'm looking for. Now if I could get it for less than $1000...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#123307 01/07/06 08:39 PM
veteran
veteran
Thanks for the heads-up on this model. We have been in the process of putting together our ht and the viewing aspect has been the missing link so far. Btw, just how do you create a functional hotlink? So far mine just never work?

"Never, never, never give up "... Winston Churchill
#123308 01/07/06 11:31 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

Btw, just how do you create a functional hotlink? So far mine just never work?

Check this page of the forum FAQ.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#123309 01/08/06 12:28 AM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
The 1080P HDMI is useful for HDDVD or Blue Ray. Whatever buy should be able to handle that. I am going to own the TV I buy for 10+ years, so I don't want to be wishing it had something like that that it doesn't.

#123310 01/08/06 03:42 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I am not aware that HDDVD and Blue Ray are available just yet. I had heard that there were some problems and issues.

Are they out??

The Rat. M80s, VP-150, QS8s, SVS PC 20-39+, OPPO, Onkyo 703s, Harmony 880 Sony 60" SXRD HDTV
#123311 01/08/06 11:39 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Tuesday, January 11, 2005
Calls issued for unifying HD DVD/Blue-ray formats at CES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Major TV industry and entertainment representatives issued urgent calls Saturday at the ongoing 2005 International Consumers Electronics Show (CES) to unify the HD DVD/Blue-ray systems to prevent an emerging formats battle.

Bob Chapek, president of the Digital Entertainment Group (DEG),urged his members to work harder to unite the HD DVD and Blue-ray Disc camps into developing or settling upon a single standard.

Both HD DVD and Blue-ray discs can dramatically increase the DVD discs' storage capacity from the present 4.7GB up to 50GB, thus saving space for consumers in enjoying video and audio entertainment.

"The time for unification is now, before a Darwinian process ofnatural selection can set in, and before the expenditures of many millions with the prospect of a stunted new format being a distance possibility," Chapek, also president of Buena Vista Home Video, spoke at a DEG meeting.

Weeks before the international CES, held in Las Vegas since Jan.6, Buena Vista joined Sony Pictures in announcing plans to supportthe Blue-Ray Disc format with movie titles, due to its larger disccapacity and the claimed ability to facilitate a broad range of extra content, including interactive applications.

Commenting on the split between major Hollywood studios on the HD DVD and Blue-ray Disc systems, Chapek stressed that the two parties should make concessions in order to avoid a formats war.

He said the DEG members, who are evenly divided on the formats battle, are in the best position to prevent the formats war so to save a lot of money that could be wasted if a future war breaks out.

At the same DEG meeting, former Sony executive Ron Boire echoedChapek's unification call, saying that because consumers need a single format of the new generation of DVD, industry leaders should work together to unify the HD DVD/Blue-ray formats.

Several Hollywood entertainment companies are planning to release more than 50 titles of movies in HD DVD format in the nearfuture.

To offer a technological solution to the possible formats war, Japanese company JVC unveiled at the CES a non-recordable hybrid disc featuring an integration of HD DVD/Blue-ray formats. The new DVD has three layers, dual DVD-layers topped by a 25GB high-definition Blue-ray layer for a total of 33.5GB capacity.

JVC company also said it is working on a four-layer disc providing two Blue-ray layers and two DVD layers for a total of 58.5GB of storage capacity.

#123312 01/08/06 03:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That was for 2005. Think that I read that article some time ago. Wonder what the situation for 2006 is??

#123313 01/08/06 04:00 PM
aficionado
aficionado
oooppss

#123314 01/08/06 05:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey, it happens to the best of us.

LOL!!!

#123315 01/08/06 05:53 PM
I think the current situtation is that talks have broken down, and we'll be getting both formats. Whether we like it or not, and whether the studios like it or not. However, someone has released a universal decoder chip. I don't think we'll see universal players too soon, unless some of the platform agnostic manufacturers (are there any?) decide to get into the act.

I'm actually much less concerned about this than I am about the industry trend and desire for control over how many times we can watch (or how long we can keep) media. Google broadcast flag... although that initiative has failed for the time being, it's an indicator of what the industry wants--to be able to make us pay every time we view something. Sure, you can record TV, but you can only keep that recording for 48 hours. Want longer? OK, that'll be $x.99.

/rant. Maybe I read too much arstechnica.

#123316 01/08/06 10:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm not all that concerned with the HD-DVD/Blu-ray war. They'll just make uni-players that will play both formats. That wasn't really possible with beta/vhs tape formats.

btw...it's looking good that the entire Bond series will be re-released in 1920x1080, completely restored from the original negatives. (yeah...i've got some inside poop.)

#123317 01/09/06 04:00 AM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Whoever asked about them (HD DVD/Blue Ray) being out yet, they are supposed to be coming out later this year. I want to TV I buy to be ready for them when they do. I won't get a player right away, especially with the potential format wars, but I don't want to look back and wish I bought a different TV when I am ready to buy into the new format either.

#123318 01/09/06 04:18 AM
aficionado
aficionado
play station 3 has it.whenever that comes out

#123319 01/11/06 01:00 AM
axiomite
axiomite
If anybody is interested, here's the latest on the prospects of Universal Blu-ray and HD DVD players

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#123320 01/11/06 08:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Idiots. If they're worried about getting money back on their investment, the #1 priority should be figuring out a way for people to buy these things. NOBODY wants to buy two players. The easier they make this transition on the public, the more they'll sell, and the more they'll make.

Blu-Ray has a HUGE advantage though, with it being the PS3 standard. That alone is going to put a ton of Blu-Ray machines in people's homes.

Grrr...I hate corporate politics.

#123321 01/11/06 08:36 PM
What you said, man, what you said.

Although this line: "both sides believe they have each found the formula that more perfectly suits consumers' desires." from the article is absolutely hilarious. It's not about consumers' desires. It's about industry desires. Consumers don't desire limitations.

#123322 01/13/06 03:17 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
This whole thing is pretty disappointing. The competing factions are worried about which side wins. It won't be the consumer - those folks footing the bill.

#123323 01/13/06 03:26 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
We've seen this same BS before with tape drives, VHS tape format and the like. I don't think that anyone wins.

#123324 01/13/06 04:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It's telling when the early adopters (many of us on this and other boards) are so disenchanted with the format war. I, for one, will not buy any version of a high def player until the prices come down to the point where it doubles as an affordable replacement to my current DVD player or unless a dual format player comes out (unlikely).

That said, it seems that the consuming public may also be reaching a point where the increased resolution isn't as groundbreaking as with DVD vs. VHS. The picture on my HD plasma off of DVD looks pretty darn good. While HD broadcasts do have a shinier, cleaner appearance and higher resolution, I'm not distracted my artifacts or fuzzy edges when watching movies right now. I question whether I actually even need a higher resolution format.

Now, I've heard the other side of the argument that the real benefit will be in the lossless audio compression and the extra space to store extraneous volumes of encyclopedic information about the movie that I am watching, btu I just don't buy it. Right now, I am so over saturated with multi-media applications that I yearn for simplicity and straightforwardness. I rarely watch the extra content on DVDs any more, and usually opt to spend a few lses bucks and buy the movie-only version of DVDs when possible, opting against the special editions. This makes me question what they are going to put on a DVD that I will be compelled to watch when I really don't have much interest, or time for that matter, in watching what little is placed on DVDs as they now stand.

I think a good argument coudl actually be made that having the secrets of movie making revealed cheapens the movie watching experience, making us more aware of the tricks used to make movies and robbing us of our suspension of disbelief (which is critical to enjoying the show, IMO).

Finally, is lossless audio really that much better? I simply can't imagine having an audio track that sounds any clearer or more real, without the addition of extra speakers. I know that there is a theoretical gain in lossless audio. But what does that translate into when our ears process it? Isn't the fact that our ears actually discard considerable amounts of audio cues the basis for lossy audio compressors in the first place? Adding back information that is going to be ignored by our brains seems like an excercise in futility.

Just some thoughts ... slow day at the office

/rant

#123325 01/13/06 05:45 PM
Adrien:
I agree with you; I don't have time to watch the extras and many of these discs have 5 hours of extras to the two-hour movie!

An argument that I've never actually read or heard anyone say is this:

What if these formats end up like SACD or DVD-Audio? At least for the first few years? I mean, the type of people that frequent these forums are excited about the technology, but how many of the "masses" are excited or even understand the discs?

What percentages of "the masses" have an HD-capable set? If they have several TVs in the home, do they have more than one that's HD capable? If they buy either flavor of an HD disc, are they going to be able to play it in the bedroom or in the kids' playroom or on their portable 7" LCD player?

If they currently own a selection of DVDs, are they going to replace them with an HD disc unless it's really one of their all-time favorite movies? Will the discs play in their current computers or even in the next one they pick up at Staples?

Even if they HAVE an HD television, and they HAVE put out a decent amount of coin on a new HD-player, will they always buy the HD disc over the SD disc if it only plays on that one player and that one TV?

Believe it or not, I'm really not negative on the format. I've been stalling in bringing my video production business up to HD because there is currently no medium to deliver those productions. A recordable HD disc will enable me to move to higher-quality acquisition and editing…it's not feasible at the moment when I have no real way of delivering the end product.

But, playing devil's advocate here…. Look what happened to SACD and DVD-Audio. These two competing formats offered higher quality and the benefits of 5.1 remastering. Yet, they tanked. The average guy who is picking up the latest Brooks & Dunn release wants to play it in his pickup and his boombox. We, as audiophiles, loved the format…but it didn't take off with "the masses". And because it didn't take off immediately, marketing money wasn't put behind it, slowing growth even more and causing an ever-increasing downward spiral in the formats.

I'm not saying the new HD discs will fail; certainly there's lots of money that will be thrown into the marketing and of course, no one will be buying SD in ten years. But I think those of us that are "into" this whole hobby forget that Joe and Betty Schmoe aren't drooling over these coming discs, and likely don't understand them or are even completely unfamiliar with them.

Yes, whoever wins the format will have the format of choice down the road. But I really don't think it'll happen as quick as us audiophiles and videophiles expect it to happen.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#123326 01/13/06 08:45 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mark - I agree with most, if not all of what you said.

I, too, think that HD -DVD might end up like SACD. But, then again, there is still a gap between our ability to resolve clearer images (with our eyes and brains) and the resolution that media is able to provide. I think that this distinguishes High Def DVD from SACD. I think the latter is really only appreciated by, and maybe only recognized as sounding better, by audiophiles, and certainly isn't for the casual listener. Whereas, most people can readily tell the different between a High Def video image and a standard def one. Therefore, I can see more people jumping on the high-def video band-wagon eventually.

But, in the meantime, I agree with you that the technology will take a long time to pick up speed. The speed will depend on how quickly the High Def DVD players get cheap... I now have 3 DVD players in my apartment for three TVs, which means that DVD portability is reaching maximum saturation. Such is the case with CD players, too.

If and when I can afford to have more than one High Def DVD player in my house (at least one for the bedroom and the main HT), I will probably switch over, but will likely only upgrade my current titles with those that are my favorites. Again, I will only do this if the resolution difference is that noticeable. These days, the upconversion software in TVs, etc. is pretty decent, and, while I know the picture can get considerably better, this will really only be an issue when we all have 100" screens in our homes (won't that be cool!).

Until that time, I think the technology will remain ignored by the masses, which, I predict will ultimately doom it. This is especially true when HTPCs are, I predict, going to step in and replace hard-ware eventually (maybe in the next decade or two) and completely.

We'll all just have to wait and see.

#123327 01/13/06 10:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It seems like this happens over and over and over again in the industry.

Shame on them, but "they" just don't care.

#123328 01/16/06 04:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
They should start caring about the customer. After all, we make their bottom line a reality.

Considering the speed at which technology is moving these days, if you don't hit your market right off the tee box, chances are decent that the market will simply pass your product by...

Take, for example, minidiscs. They were and are great technology. CD quality, but with the ability to record to them as easily as a tape player. Then, editing/shuffling capability like a CD-RW. It was great - but Sony wouldnt' liscense the technology (greedy) and they didn't have enough archived music (I guess) to sell pre-fixed music discs, like CD. The wave passed them by and they are a forgotten relic, replaced by the MP3 and the CD-RW. other factors, of course, influenced the failure (different discs made portability problematic, players were expensive, etc.).

I predict that High Def DVD will get surpassed by some better, more convenient, easier to use, product before it even gets off the ground. Ultimately, I don't think comsumers will suffer - they'll actually get a better product out of it. But in the meantime, our Sony dollars spent on Amps and receivers are being squandered in research that won't be paid back - that hurts consumers today and tomorrow in the form of higher priced components to recoup the losses.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters