Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Squeezebox 3rd Generation (pics)
#124757 01/24/06 09:03 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I'm glad, Dennis

I'm sure I would, too, if I could get past the time investment necessary to rip everything at good quality. Sony just came out with a HTPC with an attached 200 disk changer. If you could load the changer and then tell it to rip everything and come back the next day... Boy howdy.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #124758 07/08/06 10:31 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I know it's perverted to reply to your own post, but I couldn't find a better place to rekindle this conversation.

I really dig Pandora. And I am, grudgingly, beginning to rip more of my disks.

But I have a question about using alternate front-ends for simultaneous whole-house audio. That is, I want to be able to store all the music on a NAS server (running FreeNAS), and then use PC's (using iTunes or ?) to stream the audio to various rooms. PC's I have, Squeezeboxes cost money. It *seems* like the slimserver software might allow this scenario. Would I be able to stream either simultaneous (the same track at the same exact time) or different tunes to each PC front end?

I either already have or could run Cat5e to all the locations I'm thinking of. Add some decent powered speakers and voila?

Curtis? Dennis? Bueller?

tomtuttle #124759 07/08/06 11:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Pervert.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #124760 07/08/06 11:52 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Thanks, Rick. You've been helpful.

tomtuttle #124761 07/08/06 11:58 PM
old hand
old hand
The slimserver software will allow you to synchronize music to various PCs, or a combination of some synchronized, while others playing different music. The software is open source and quite well done. If you want to use PCs as a front end rather than squeezboxes, you will have to install softsqueeze on the client PCs. As the name implies, softsqueeze is a software interface that mimics the squeezbox, including the remote control. I currently have one Squeezebox, with another on the way. Download slimserver and play around with it, it's the best streaming audio player I've used.

tomtuttle #124762 07/09/06 01:49 AM
shareholder in the making
Ya know, I just read that as "I really dig Pantera" and I'm thinking, "Tom's a metal fan? Didn't really seem his thing..."

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
el_giovato #124763 07/09/06 06:21 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Heh. I'm more of a progressive rock guy.

Dan, thanks very much for the helpful response! I think that has real possibilities for me.

I might get some value out of this "internet" and "network" business yet.

Tharkun #124764 07/09/06 04:10 PM
old hand
old hand
Haven't checked the forums for a couple of days - because I've been playing with my new Squeeze Box! If you have any genuine interest go check the forums, there is TON of great information. Forums

As for my experience here's a link to a long story Beginner's Tale but bottom line for me is I LOVE this thing.

I ended up ripping my songs with Exact Audio Copy (EAC) in FLAC and am very impressed with the sound quality. This was by far the most daunting part of the SqueezeBox (SB) as I only had a few tunes ripped to music match. EAC is no picnic but once set-up (you must use the tutorials unless you helped write the code) it rips perfect bit accurate FLAC files. Oh yeah then you need to create play lists which EAC doesn't do and SlimServer does poorly, and then you need to learn SlimNetwork to listen to internet radio. Whew. Can't write enough about the trials I went through but is SOOO worth it.

Your whole music collection there in one place. Browse artists, albums, with a screen that can be read from across the room. After doing the ripping leg work it took maybe 3 minutes to find and start playing my Music files. I have a Linksys wireless router and it located and set it up in a couple minutes. Tops.

I am using the DAC in the SB and running audio out to my HK 3480 which does not have its own DAC like most AVR's will. Sound quality matches my Onkyo CD player but I always hesitate to judge sound quality.

BEST PART? Listening to internet radio, free and commercial free. Takes a bit of learning again but I have SkyFM running morning to night and it streams 128 kbs Mp3 quality sound 24/7. SHOUTcast, live365, radioIO and tons of other options.

Playlists of all your favorites, Rhapsody if you are so inclined and Pandora too, niether of which do much for me.

Very interested in others' takes on the sound quality but so far my ears can tell no differenece between my Onkyo CDP and the SB DAC running FLAC file format.

You do need your computer on to play your music lists but NOT to play internet radio as it uses the wireless router and the existing cable modem to steam from the internet.

Again would be very interested in sound quality issues.

larry

sonicfox #124765 07/09/06 05:03 PM
old hand
old hand
Quote:

I have been researching this unit a lot lately and am definitely going to get one. I'm currently building a dedicated music server for it. My question is how to connect it wirelessly. Can you connect peer to peer to the computer with a wireless card attached or does it actually need a wireless router? I'm stupid when it comes to this wireless stuff.

Sonic, I just posted my rave review of this little puppy and I am having a hard time answering your question re: networking. I have a router which works great and without one it's hard to imagine it working with all the features.

How are you connected to the internet now? Dial-up? If so remember that the Squeezebox's interface is a web page and most of the heavy lifting is done on that browser page. If you don't use dial-up then I guess you would actually already have a router?

Hmmm. Guess I'm not so smart either about this networking stuff. The Slim Devices forums could answer your question as suggested.

Good luck

LHawes #124766 07/09/06 05:50 PM
There is a wireless model; that would probably be easiest. You can't just daisy chain it to a computer; the computer would have to be acting as a router, and that's likely to get really confusing, really fast. And you'd have to have that computer on at all times in order for the squeezebox to be on the network.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters