Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: HARDWARE USED TO MOUNT QS4 TO BACK WALL
#12497 06/25/03 07:17 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Drywall (sheetrock) is actually pretty stong stuff.. Most walls are built with studs runnnig 16 inch on center.. You can measure over from a corner or a wall switch or ele box etc, to get a starting point on finding the studs.. But, for something like the Q speakers, you dont need it, as you are dealing with sheer strength, not a direct bearing weight on the surface.. Example: Picture hangers.. Simple, yet very effective.. And some designs can hold 100 lbs plus...
Now, with a flat backet such as the Q's, you can use drywall molly bolts, but I have a great new item I'm using all over the house now.. A company called ITW Buildex, makes a wonderful little self drilling drywall anchor called the "E Z Anchor".. These little dudes come in a number of sizes, and can hold from 20 lbs to 300 lbs sheer, and cost no more than any other little bag of screws or nails from your local hardware store.. I use two each for each bracket..
They screw in flush to the wall, take seconds to install, and hold like there is no tomorrow.. I love em..
Get this, I have two of them in the 'ceiling', holding my VP150 ! They are not really designed for this, but no worries.. I tested them with 3 times the weight on just one screw, no problems.. With two, it's going no where..
www.itwbuildex.com Out of Itasca, Illinios.. You can find these on their web, under Drywall Anchor Applications.. Page 41 of their catalog..
Hey, it's not that often that you find something new that actually work :> And besides, it's another slow day here at work..

LFE ! The rest is just details..
#12498 06/25/03 07:43 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I was *thinking* of EZ Anchors too, when I saw the original post. But I could not think of the "brand name". I love 'em. Use them for all kinds of things. Home Despot has them in the fastener aisle. The heavy duty one is a much-improved "molly bolt" design, but I use the big, nylon screw-in ones for lighter duty stuff and they haven't failed me yet.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#12499 06/25/03 07:49 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Almost forgot - finding a stud is ALWAYS better, of course. I use 1 5/8" Deck Mate brand deck screws for all kinds of things - I like the way the coating makes them easier to drive, and I like the square-drive design (with included bit!). That way, you get ~1" into the stud after going through the drywall. Drywall screws work pretty good for things like this too. I'd be scared of using nails into just drywall, unless you took great care to drive them in at an appropriate angle.

#12500 06/25/03 08:15 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Great ! I'm glad I'm not alone no this one.. haha..
They even come complete with mounting screws.. All you need is a phillips screw driver, and your in business.. Although I did get a little too aggressive with the self tapping feature a few times in the begining... Snapped a few off :>
Duct tape, WD-40, and a handful of EZ Anchors.. Ain't life grand ?
About the only thing left would be those Axiom In-Wall speakers Ian spoke of a while back.. Hmmmmmmmmm ??

#12501 06/25/03 10:12 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hey Mikey - I'm intrigued by your comment about having ceiling-mounted your center channel. Do you have it hanging in free space (via cables/chains/bailin' war) or is it "attached" to some part of the house? Pictures? Satisfied? Thanks!!

#12502 06/25/03 10:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

A special bolt size or brand, or it doesn't matter.

I used the regular #12 x 2" wood screws. Plenty strong.

#12503 06/26/03 04:51 AM
hobbyist
hobbyist
I was installing some (very large) mirrors (with ledges) in my girlfriend's apartment and used those EZ Anchors. Her apartment complex was built in the 40s and the drywall is hard like a rock! I broke a few and then had to drill holes the size of the shaft and then screw the anchor in...

I put 4 of the anchors to hold the top of the mirror...her 18 lb cat jumps onto the ledge and nothing budges...that is good enough for me trust with my QS8s!

#12504 06/26/03 08:17 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Tom.. .Yes, they are hanging from the ceiling, via swag lamp chains.. I plan to cover the chains with black or white fabric, once I get the position finalized..
After determining where to give the spkr the correct down-tilt, I drilled a pilot hole on the top side of each end, and twisted in small screw-eyes..
I've moved it twice, having started with it too close to the wall/ceiling.. The sound is fine, but I can't say it's perfect, as I continue to move some of the other gear around from week to week, looking for that sweet spot..
I'll try and get some pics up this weekend.. I keep putting it off, thinking it will look best when finished.. Hhahaha !!! Finished !!! Like that will ever happen, eh..

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup