Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: New Cables
#124992 01/23/06 01:46 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
No Problem....

....though I may cable some flowers to put on the grave stone.

nuf said.

#124993 01/23/06 06:27 AM
shareholder in the making
Rich, it's just about impossible to screw up regular lampcord type speaker wire. Capacitance is pretty much of no significance for speaker wire(it is for interconnects); a very high capacitance could make some poorly-designed amplifiers unstable. Excessive inductance in speaker wire would roll off the treble response, but inductance is governed primarily by the distance between the centers of the two conductors in the wire, and the usual closely-spaced wires have low enough inductance that the small differences between them at 20KHz aren't of audible significance.

Now if those "doo-dads" that you mention are magic boxes attached to the wire which intentionally add excessive inductance, then there could be created a roll-off of the highest frequencies which might be audible. If so, that wire might be praised as "smoother, sweeter, less harsh", etc. although it would actually be reducing the fidelity of the sound. If a recording really needed that treatment, that's what tone controls are for.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#124994 01/23/06 07:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanx....that pretty well clarifies the issues!!

Even solidifies what I knew and thought I knew back when this thread was just beginning!!

"Good Cables" being those that do nothing to screw up or modify the signal!!

Thanks again, for putting it in better focus!
Rich.

....now I'll have to re-read your response another three times to be sure I keep the electrical relationships organized!!

#124995 01/23/06 09:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ratpack wrote:

In reply to:

John: I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!!!!

But, there are some, who will ALWAYS claim otherwise.

We have beat this poor, dead horse many times on this board. Same thing on other boards!

Have a GREAT Sunday.

End of discussion.

The Rat.

Reasonable folks may differ as to whether there is an audible difference between lamp cord and cables specially designed for audio applications ... I think what's interesting about these discussions on this site is how a small clack of extremely rude people who presume to know-it-all effectively shut down and shout down any report by any member of this forum which offers a conflicting opinion. I find the postings of ratpack, johnk and the other usual suspects simply rude and inappropriate for this forum.

I think it's interesting that everyone congratulates Axiom on the rightful recognition its speakers received from the folks at the recent CES but no one noticed that Audio Quest Sky Interconnects were on the podium for their outstanding inteconnects.

It was the Sound Stage Review of the M3 which aroused my interest in Axiom speakers. If you look at the reviews and award section of this site you will see how many awards Axiom speakers have received from this group. Sound Stage just gave the Audio Quest Sky Interconnects "Best Product Debut." If you want to take a look at all the different speaker wires, cables and power cords reviewed by Sound Stage, Good Sound and On Hifi and Home Theater & Sound (each and everyone of them have given awards to Axiom speakers) here's the link:

http://www.soundstageav.com/avreviews_cables_interconnects.html

So, isn't it interesting that our brain trust who know all there is to know about audio electronics disagree with a very substantial body of data and experience compiled by the most renowned and respected reviewers in the industry ... the same reviewers who have made Axiom's on line reputation?

Last edited by 2x6spds; 01/23/06 09:29 PM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#124996 01/23/06 10:24 PM
< ominous voice somewhat reminiscent of the borg collective >

The brain trust reminds you that we can silence your opinions as any moment. Continuing to go against our will may result in the removal of your fingertips.

#124997 01/23/06 11:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I too was drawn to Axiom by the M3 reviews, and also took the opportunity to read a number of the cable reviews as well. I found them more than just a little interesting, but due to the wires costing more than the speakers....!!

The one thing that I did take home about the "Better" speaker cables was their transparency and lack of coloration. They couldn't make the sound from the finals any better, just didn't make it any worse!

That quality materials and workmanship were a plus.

That some of them are really stunning audio gewlery!

I don't know for sure what criteria was used by the reviewers in their final determinations, if advertizing were a consideration or how they were able to actually hear the differences, but it was fascinating reading! And perhaps by having an impecible system in an audio-heaven room, the differences May be obvious!!

My take on it in my situation is simple: My speakers, though very good, are not super-stereophile great! And my room....well.

Could I get better sound by putting superior cables betwixt my M3s and Onkyo? I dunno, if I could afford to try, I might just for fun. I think I understand what's goin' on here, so I wouldn't expect to hear much of an improvement commensurate to the cost. I mean, what's the absolute best an inexpensive Onkyo plus M3s CAN sound anyway??!!

It might be like putting Webers on my Austin Healey; I may push the zero to sixty times down from 13 to 12 seconds, but hey, I still couldn't outrun a stock Civic

#124998 01/23/06 11:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
2x6: I find your pretense of electrical knowledge very offensive to any engineer or scientifically inclined person. You have absolutely no concept of physics or electronics, yet you continue spew this nonsense.

I hope that this is rude enough for you to quit this crap about speaker cables on this board!!

You simply do not know what you are talking about!

The Rat. M80s, VP-150, QS8s, SVS PC 20-39+, OPPO, Onkyo 703s, Harmony 880 Sony 60" SXRD HDTV
#124999 01/23/06 11:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Rat, you are well named and make my point. I don't post here as much as I used to because folks like you have made this an increasingly unpleasant forum. You are part of a clack which enforces your common set of opinions by insult and personal attacks against those who express differing opinions.

You may have noticed how boring this site has become. There are folks who just don't want to bother with the kind of unpleasantness you have brought to this forum. On the other hand, you are having a good time enforcing your small minded orthodoxy by offensive behavior. You have made your mark on this site. Too bad for Axiom.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#125000 01/24/06 12:22 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Wait!! 2X6, don't leave!!

Uh,...what kind of wires did you use when you built "Frankenstein"?(I mentioned "wires" so I wouldn't be entirely hijacking the thread)

You were also working on a follow-up center design but you failed to let us know what happened.

...what happened??

No! Don't leave!! Your opinions are valued and much appreciated here!!
Rich.

#125001 01/24/06 12:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi 2x6,
First off I think you know I'm really not a fan of tubes, other than the looks, and I don't share your views on wires. HOWEVER I do enjoy reading your point of view. It would be a very boring place if we were in agreement over everything.

Please keep posting and adding colour to this site.

Wayne

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (rrlev, Kodiak), 360 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup