Print Thread
Rate Thread
My New Axiom System - long
#12844 07/02/03 08:39 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Preface

First, I want to say that I am not an expert. I am just the average listener that likes a good sound system. Words like imaging, crossover, soundstage, phasing, etc. meant nothing to me before I started to research my purchase, and are still vague. That being said, I do know what a like in a speaker, and it was the reviews by fellow users as well as professionals that brought me to Axiom. I have always like a good sound system for music. I like clean sound and am not a big fan of bass, especially the booming kind. My prior, and still active, system for music was a set of DCM Timeframe 350's running through a Proton amplifier (not sure of the model #) with a Denon CD player. These were all purchased in 1983 and are still working (though I can hear a slight vibration coming from one of the speakers). The DCM's are tall and wide, but not deep, and have a very clean, detailed sound that I guess some would call bright (sound familiar?). I think they cost over $1000 new, but I'm not sure. I do remember paying over $2000 for the speakers, CD player and amp together. I have always liked the sound of those speakers.

The Decision

About two years ago I purchased a new 65" Mits RPTV and quickly added a Kenwood HTB-504 5.1 surround system to it for movies. I felt that was all I needed for DVD viewing, and would keep my music listening to the room with the Timeframes. Little did I realize that my music listening would virtually stop, and all my free time would be spent watching DVD's. The cheap speakers that came with the Kenwood didn't bother me until a quirky love story/musical called Moulin Rouge came along. Suddenly everything changed. I wanted to play this movie loud but couldn't without hurting my ears. Other musicals like Evita and West Side Story were the same. Loved them both, but the pain in my ears was too much. Now I can hear some of you saying why not simply move the DCM's into the HT room. Alas, there was not enough room for those large speakers, not to mention the shielding problem. And now with the movie Chicago coming out on DVD in August, I knew I simply had to do something. OK, Chicago is my wife's favorite movie, so I deviously suggested that we really needed better speakers before buying the DVD so we could enjoy it more. Shockingly, this shameless tactic worked. I quickly did some on-line research, and knowing that I liked the bright, clear sound of the DCM's brought me to the Axioms.

The system

Basically I purchased the Epic Grand Master with the center upgrade. So I have the M22's, VP150 center, QS8 surrounds, and the EP175 SW. I went with the Axiom sub against most of the advise on this and other boards because of the size and the 5% system discount. I have only one spot in my HT room for the sub, and the EP175 fit perfectly. The HSU sub would have been too wide and deep. Besides, I am not a big fan of sonic booms.

My Opinions

A. Music
I did a comparison between my Timeframes and the M22's for two channel listening. It was really close, they were quite similar, which made me happy. I think the DCM's sounded slightly better, but this was not a direct comparison. I was using the Kenwood receiver for the M22's and the Proton amp for the DCM's. Also the DCM speakers have some very heavy speaker wire, maybe 10 Ga., while the M22's are still on the wire that came with the Kenwood, which may be 24 Ga. ( I probably should change the wire, but I am lazy). Still it was close, but the size of the Timeframes probably helped them win. With the SW in play for the Axioms, I really could not tell the difference. And the Axioms won out at higher volume, probably because of the sub and the fact that I really think I have a small tear in one of the DCM speakers.
I recently picked up a few 5.1 DVD audio titles, and I must say I really like the 5.1 music effect. I know purists cringe at that thought, but on the titles that are recorded that way they should really try it out. I find myself drawn to the stage mix on some Aix titles I have bought, but purists should go for the audience mix. Two channel tracks are also provided for the stubborn.
I am very pleased with the music listening on this system, especially 5.1.

B - Home Theater

I really was surprised here. I did not expect to notice a significant difference in basic movie listening. However, after running through a few of my DVD's there has been. Most noticeable has been the dialogue. On my old speakers I had to turn the center channel up 3 dB over the mains to clearly hear the dialogue. On some movies this was still not enough. The VP150 has been calibrated and is actually turned down 2 dB to make it even with the M22's. Dialogue is crystal clear on all movies so far, and that includes the dialogue that takes place in the beginning of Saving Private Ryan. What a surprise, I could never understand most of that. Also, the sound is dispersed across the front much more. I guess because I had the center up high on my old speakers, the sound was more centered. Now, when something travels from left to right I can actually hear that. Also when someone is speaking on the far left or right of the screen, the voice sounds like it is there too, very nice.
Surround effects with the QS8's, as many have pointed out, are much more enveloping, and I couldn't agree more. What I have found equally pleasant, is the amount of ambient sound that I never remembered hearing before, like some birds in the background during one scene of The Borne Identity. I guess they were always there, but I never heard them.
LF effects seem more real to me. I was paying close attention to this because I thought I might keep the Kenwood sub and return the Axiom. After listening to way too many explosions these past two weeks, however, this won't be happening. Explosions, gunshots, and other special effects sounded real, not just loud and muffled like before. I imagine this is a combination of the SW and the other new speakers, not just the sub. Whatever it is, it is a big improvement and everything stays.
Of course I had to watch and listen to Moulin Rouge loud and I was not disappointed. The voices and score were crystal clear and detailed and it was like watching the movie for the first time, not the eighth.

Final thoughts
I think this will probably be my last speaker purchase, and I am very pleased with my choice. Shipping was amazing, one day from Canada to South Florida. Packaging was terrific, everything double boxed. I like the look and finish of the black, but I would imagine the veneer would not be as nice on the wood tones. I would also imagine there are better speakers out there for a price, but for the average listening Joe like me, why would you want to spend more for great sound? Thanks for everyone's advise, especially sushi and spiffnme.

Barry
A new member of the Axiom Family

Re: My New Axiom System - long
#12845 07/02/03 08:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Very cool review! So glad you're happy with the setup. From what you described you were looking for, it sounds like you picked the perfect system. Enjoy!!!

#12846 07/03/03 08:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
24 ga?

change the %$#&%($# cables man!

#12847 07/04/03 03:51 AM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Ravi
I know, I know, but the system sounds so good now, I keep putting off ripping up my carpeting again. I also could be wrong about the gauge, could be 18 ga. How can I tell for sure?

Spiffnme
Thanks, you helped me alot with your reviews.

#12848 07/04/03 07:13 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

Final thoughts
I think this will probably be my last speaker purchase, and I am very pleased with my choice.

Weebo,

Man! That's the key phrase, huh? What a levelheaded guy... LOL LOL

Welcome, again, to the Axiomville!!!

#12849 07/04/03 04:02 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Thanks Sushi,
But not so much level headed as realistic. I figure since it's been almost 20 years since my last good speaker purchase, if I wait another 20 I'll be 72 years old and I doubt my hearing will be good enough to hear any difference at that point anyway :-)
PS - thanks for your advise too, it went a long way toward my purchase decision

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup