"Reference" ????
#1283 01/30/02 08:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm a hifi rookie, but am intent on learning fast. Would somebody be so kind as to explain what "reference" speakers are, as opposed to regular speakers. I notice some axiom speakers of similar series come in both reference and non-reference. Thx.

Herb

Re: "Reference" ????
#1284 01/30/02 08:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It is a subjective term use by vendors. It has no real wolrd meaning, such as "Reference Speakers by Vendor A are better than non reference models by Vendor B".

In general terms the vendor/designer would offer a Reference Line or Model that would possibly use better quality pieces in construction. This can be cabinet materials, finishes, a driver that meets very stringent test specifications and many other similar techniques. Suffice to say that if vendor A offered Model 123, and a Model 123 Reference, the Reference "probably" would contain better quality. I say probably because that is not always the case, and they don't always sound better.

Axiom offered a Reference Line of the older AX series. The difference was real wood veneer finishes (as opposed to vinyl), biamping/biwiring capabilities, and maybe a few other items.

Also, if an end user refers to their "reference piece", it refers to a piece (CD, turntable, speakers, particular musical selection) that they have heard and are accustomed to the sound. This is particularly useful for comparisons.

There are also companies that make use of the term in their names, such as Reference 3a Speaker Manufacturing. As a point of note, this company makes EXCELLENT speakers....some of the best ever to grace my listening room! They also are very pricey.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

BBIBH

#1285 02/01/02 03:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So if I understand you, models with this name are not always audiophile quality?

#1286 02/01/02 10:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Not by a long shot. Some are so designated in an effort to be included in the next category up. There is no requirement to use this, or any other title. The only restrictions would be using trade, or registered titles - IEEE or so.

The companies with it in their titles are the same. However, Reference 3a, for example, is most definitely a true audiophile speaker manufacturer

Take it under advisement if anything is positioned as "reference" quality. In reference to what, is what I always ask. What are the independant criteria for this? What standards committee is this backed by?

Regards,

BBIBH

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020