Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Treadmill
#128568 02/16/06 11:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
No Question; Bren! One riding destination should be off limits!

Dogs!? Oh Yeah!! Thankfully only one, and only a slightly torn trouser leg. But I dropped the bike and chassed that little sucker round back of their house only to see the owner rush the little pup into the house and fail to answer my knock on the door. Bottom line? Errant pooch was forever kept in the house at that hour from them on!!

I got some stitches from motorcycle spills, but nothing more than a couple scratches and some torn clothing due to a bicycling mishap, nothing nearly so traumatic as what you've gone through, Bren!

I did, however have that one incident that was entirely and completely MY fault!

Don't know bout Y'all, but if I look to the left, I tend to steer to the left, uh huh, yup.

Before I purchased a "real" brake lever mirror, I had a little inspection mirror attached to my helmet so that to look behind me, a simple glance to the left while holding my head foreward was all that was required to see what was about to pass me.

So, here comes this line of traffic up behind me, and on by to my left, as I think I'm staying right there on the edge of the road peddling along like there's nothing wrong with the world.

Staring at my mirror....while maybe twelve cars get by.

Number thirteen was a pick-up with pretty big mirrors. Next thing I know is I'm standing on my pedals; straps still tightly holding my feet in place while my posterior portions are sliding along the side of the truck in some surreal dreamescape until the truck was no longer there to keep Newtons laws from taking over and pulling me abruptly to Earth.

Thankfully, the truck was the last vehicle in line.
Rich.

#128569 02/17/06 01:00 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Like thousands of other folks, I made up my mind around the end of the year to get back in shape. It actually wasn't so much a resolution as it was a necessary outlet -- just moved to a new town, broke up with my girlfriend of 3+ years, and generally feeling a little unhinged. I guess the get-in-shape goal was secondary at the time, but it's turned into a welcome way to unwind at the end of the day. I've been going between 6 and 7 days a week (overkill, I know), and it's still not a chore. I always leave feeling better than when I walk in. When that ceases to be the case I expect I'll revert back to my couch potato ways.

I know you said your schedule prevents you from heading down to Gold's, but what I've found is that I'm far more likely to stick to my regimen if I make myself get in the car and head down to the gym. If I sit around the house and think I might use the free weights in the bedroom, any discipline I may have had stretches out on the couch beside me and takes a nap. The point is, unless you're a very type-A personality I think the chances are excellent your new treadmill might turn into a fancy clothes hanger. Just my .02.

If you do elect to buy a treadmill or elliptical, Dan's right -- Precor does make very nice stuff. Commericial grade, and a pleasure to use.

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
#128570 02/17/06 07:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
yea, precor is good. I'd go as high end as you can, for better quality. check craigslist, you might get lucky and get someone else's "clothes hanger" for cheap.

#128571 02/17/06 07:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My school gym has all precor elipticals. I had the health director for a gym class, and he said they were the best. Yea, they are commercial grade. Getting one of the higher end ones might be overkill for your needs, the lowest end would probably be closest to a home user.

Look for the ones with the variable incline ramp. I really like that feature because you can targed different muscle groups in your legs.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
#128572 02/17/06 08:10 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Thanks guys for the info, not sure what im gonna do yet. in regards to the elipticals i am also one of those guys i can walk forever jog a couple of miles at a moderate speed but when i get on that eliptical i cant last 5 minutes. i have tried a bunch of times at the gym figuring maybe i will get used to but i never do. it seems when i relax and just take it easy my legs start to burn so it only feels comfortable when i speed up but then afer another minute my muscles start to burn and the cycle continues til i give up and go back to the treadmill. lol precor is awesome stuff thats what the gold's here uses but i think a bit out of my price range. i think im looking for an Axiom type treadmill ie bang for the buck.

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
#128573 02/19/06 02:43 AM
local
local
I thought I was the only one that had bad luck with dogs. One night when I was about 17 I was riding home, about a block from my house, probably as fast as I have ever ridden a bike, except for downhill. A black dog runs BETWEEN my wheels!
Horrible crash and slide down the street. Road rash on a freaking bicycle. I had a bruise on my hip for almost a year, I did'nt know that was possible. The only consolation is that the dog was pretty screwed up too. After that I started driving more...

M80ti's, VP150, QS8's
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020