Rate Thread
Quick 7.1 speaker placement question
#129509 02/24/06 08:19 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I’m running smurf tube and j-boxes for my speaker locations in the lil’ HT room today. Room dimensions are 15.5’ X 12’. Screen to sitting is longitude and will just be a couple couches and my nifty message chair.

Behind the far back couch will be the EQ closet, which is just a converted BR closet, so it doesn’t sit in the floor space dimensions above. Taking that into consideration, the back couch will be about two feet away from the wall for access into the ‘closet’. Clear as mud?

I am using M3’s for the back surrounds and need to know two things. 1) How far apart should they be? 3) I would prefer to mount them horizontally because one will be above the closet opening and it will just fit aesthetically better horizontally. See an issue with mounting them horizontally. Also, can they be mounted close the ceiling or should I try to move them closer to the floor? As is, they will be tucked up pretty close the ceiling because of the closet opening. I could always throw in a stud and make the closet opening narrower if needed.

Next question is the QS-8’s I’m using for side surrounds. I have a window on the exterior wall and will not have enough space above the window to mount it there. I don’t want to hang it from the ceiling either, again for aesthetic reasons. The max distance I can mount it from the back wall is 32” O/C. This will put them right about parallel with the back couch and behind the other couch and chair. Will this pose a problem with 7.1? Do they have to be ahead of the listening position? I’d sure hate to mount it over the window – that would just look tacky. I know someone will suggest removing the window. This is not an option.

The next house will have an actual ‘planned’ HT room. Converting bedrooms into a HT rooms is a downright pain in rear………

Re: Quick 7.1 speaker placement question
#129510 02/24/06 08:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
From everything I've read, the side surrounds should be either placed ahead or slightly behind the listening position.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
#129511 02/24/06 10:21 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I have found the 8s to be very forgiving.

I tried putting the 8s on ladders and chairs, etc, with lots of cable to listen to the 8s at lots of positions. Calibrate after each change. Finally ended up with a setup I liked.

#129512 02/25/06 03:12 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Mike, when you have a 7.1 speaker setup the side surrounds are ideally directly to the side of the primary listening position, where they provide the best side surround effect. They don't have to be slightly behind, as is often suggested for a 5.1 setup, because there're actual speakers in back doing the back surround, so no help is needed from the side speakers. The position you propose would give the back row the optimum side effect, but it would still be good for the front with QSs; do what you have to do.

The back speakers should be vertical if at all possible for smoother and wider horizontal dispersion and positioned about 6-7' up. Spread them widely enough so that the seats can get a definite left rear and right rear effect(i.e. each listener has a speaker behind him to both his left and his right).

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#129513 02/25/06 03:25 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mike -
I read your post earlier today and have been thinking about a few issues while working in the garage and listening to the Axiom 5.1 out there.
If I understand the room layout correctly, you will place tv/screen on the 12' wall, then have two couches, with the rear one being approx 24" from the closet 'EQ area". Using dimensions of a standard sofa/couch, each needs approx 4' (min)in depth allowing for a persons legs and feet. With two of them and clearence to the EQ area, this will take up approx 10', leaving about 5' for the viewing distance when seated on the front most couch, dependant on if you use a screen, wall mount plasma or a HD set or wahtever.

In playing with the rear speakers here, I have found they seem to work best when 6 to 10 feet of seperation, and at the same ear level as recomended for surrounds. As for mounting them horizontally, I think that thas been discussed a lot on the forum and the general rule is it's not the best thing to do.
I have not visualized where you are going to fit in the massage chair, and you did not mention what type/size of sub you are going to us, so need to make allowances for that.

Is using speaker stands an option since you have limited wall locations for speakers, or just go with a 5.1 system. Also if the EQ is behind the seating area do you have some brand of a remote extender ?

#129514 02/25/06 04:12 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Thanks John/Dennis.

I did some quick measurements and while sitting on the back couch, I’ll be approximately 12’ away from the screen (I will be using a projector). The sides will be just about dead on perpendicular to this position. The backs will be just a couple feet behind. I can spread them out six feet apart max.

The chair will be in front of the back couch, and there will be another couch on the 15’ wall across the room from the chair. Both couches are big full size fluffy leather couches. Great for just lounging.

The fronts will be the M80’s, I’ll be using the EP 600 and I ‘think’ it’ll be along the screen wall in the corner pointing toward the middle of the room. Not sure which side of the room it’ll end up on. For the center channel, I’m using a pair of M22’s. I was planning on positioning them vertically, about six inches apart and as high as possible under the screen. I would have gone with a center M80, but the screen will be too low for an M80.

I have a MX850 for the gear.

I think I’ve gone overboard with a room this size.

I bought a really cool dark out blind with side tracks for the window. I lucked out and found one that will actually match the wall paint to boot!

I’m going to install some of that pergo wanna be fake wood flooring in a dark walnut.

Finally finished the insulation and sound board today. Man that’s some stinky assed stuff. Smells like a rotting animal. Tomorrow I build the soffits and install the cans and finish the smurf tube for the speaker outlets.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044