Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hi...new member intro...
#132975 03/22/06 11:40 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hello all...figured I'd finally sign up, and join this community. I was referred by my brother, who is also a member of the forums...so, I guess the 'Axiom' product line speaks for itself, alongside his guidance. Now, on to the good stuff...and the reason I joined. Knowledge.
I am in a state of limbo...and will hopefully be moving to a bigger and better place, in terms of housing within the next few months. (fingers crossed). Currently, I sold all my older Sony stuff, alongside yamaha satellites, etc. Done.

Now, in my current apt. I have a LR that is about 16 wide by 22 long. Ideal, one would think for the perfect setup. However, the older woman that lives below us...well, let's just say we get the point. It's only a matter of time till we move on, to a house...where crankin' it up, isn't gonna be an issue...(or so I hope)!

So, I have looked at receivers. I have searched here, and read. I've done some homework. Here's my choice of receivers to go along with the xbox 360, dvd player, and eventually, an LCD HDTV display.

HK AVR-7300 -- I can get the one on one-call for a decent price, or can even drive into NYC to get it...no biggie. Ebay has one refurb listed, but it's getting up there, in price...so, might as well get a new one, at their significantly reduced price.

Second, the Boston Acoustics AVR7120. I have read some good reviews, and as such BA is a pretty nice company, when it comes down to it.

Third, the Onkyo SR803 (S -- I would like the silver one). Lots of comparable features, the cheapest of the bunch...etc.

All three are within almost the same price range...so, no issues there.

Now, the speakers. I was looking at the outlet store, and seem to like the setup that my brother has -- 2 M80's, 4 QS8's, EP500, and VP150 (let's hope I got all that correct). However, for here, it's going to be a bit much...remember the old lady here. The new place (depending on what happens) will probably have a nice space (trust me, I am looking for it...) so, might it be better to just start with 2 M80's, and 1 VP150, for now, and then move onto other things? Which of the three receivers will handle this...(I know the HK will) how about the other two. So many questions, so many questions...

Anyway, apologies for the long rant...and TIA for all your support, and welcomes. Take care. i.

Re: Hi...new member intro...
#132976 03/23/06 12:06 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi and welcome, sounds like you are on your way to some great sound. From everything that I've read, the HK sounds like an awesome receiver, its been proven to drive the 80's with no problem, that would be my choice.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
#132977 03/23/06 12:08 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Welcome inthedeck! Are you going to fess up as to who your brother is, or are you going to leave us in the dark? Or, perhaps I should ask your brother to fess up himself.

I regret I can't help you much with the receivers. I've not heard the HK or the BA, but I believe several members are successfully using the HK with M80s (Mdrew?).

I do have an older Onkyo (TX-DS797) which I've thoroughly enjoyed, and used with the Axioms without incident. However, I used it with the 8 ohm M60s, rather than the 4 ohm M80s. Regardless, I suspect the Onkyo would serve you well.

As for the older woman living below you, your biggest problem will be the bass from the subwoofer. However, my experience with older people leads me to believe that she will be unhappy if she can hear anything at all, even your breathing. this means that if you're really concerned, you shouldn't have any speakers at all and should use headphones at all times.

Again, you are most welcome here.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#132978 03/23/06 12:14 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Oh, I have a feeling most people are going to recommend the HK 7300. That would definitely be my choice as well. I would be hesitant on the Boston Acoustics although I know nothing about it. Heck, I didn't even know they made AVR's!

No one is going to disagree with your speaker selection, that's for sure! There would be no reason for you not to get the entire set as long as your not playing them at loud levels.

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
#132979 03/23/06 12:14 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
yeah...the woman downstairs complains too much...even though aren't that loud at 2 P.M. !!!
As for my brother, I will let him fess up, if he wishes...that's his choice.

The struggle with the receiver continues...and so does the one with speakers. I know for here, 2 M80's and 1 VP150 would be fine for now...and I can always add the rears, and subs when I have the home I am dreaming about.

Thanks again...and let the search continue...that's how I see it.

#132980 03/23/06 01:01 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Welcome to the party!

Take a look at the HK website, they sell refurb gear there. Also, I didn't see Denon in your short list. The 2106, 2807 and 3806 are pretty good units.

#132981 03/23/06 01:10 AM
aficionado
aficionado
One thing to note is you receive an additional 5% if you order 5 items at once from axiom.

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
#132982 03/23/06 01:17 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I personally would go with the HK. JMHO
As far as the speakers go get the whole set up so that you get the discount and just don't set up the sub until you get into the new place. Keep the volumes low after hours. I have a grandson living with me so music after 8:30 is kind of difficult. I forced myself to be good and you know what? I have been blown away by how good these speakers sound at low volume. Something I had never experienced before the Axioms.

disclaimer: I have the 60's but I'm sure the 80's will offer just more of what I experience with mine. The 80's go a lot louder and a little deeper so you might have to watch the LF's for the old lady. You have a great system picked out. Just be patient until you can utilize it to it's fullest.
oz

"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" John Lennon
#132983 03/23/06 01:19 AM
aficionado
aficionado
By the way welcome to the boards!
oz

"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" John Lennon
#132984 03/23/06 01:38 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Thanks for the welcome...much appreciated oz.

I am fairly patient about the system...maybe I should just wait to get it...but I would like to have some surround back. At least it will be a start. The discount I will be receiving, already, for 5 pcs...so that isn't what's bothering me.

Darn...I would have liked to have had a smoother transaction...with moving/packing/buying new stuff, to replace it, whilst I live here. I guess I will start off small, w/ 3 speakers 2 Fronts, 1 Center...and possibly 2 rears. Then, wait for the sub...till later...and keep the rears packaged...till the move is done.

Boy...so many decisions to make.

Thanks again for the warm welcome...and advice.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters