Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: new, want views in a few areas, details withi
#133197 03/27/06 06:57 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
again, thanks ALL that have replied

--- KC23 u touched on what I was just gonna ask, if the rx-v2500 [ at 130watts per channel] were enough to properly drive the floorstanders[m60s or m80s]. As I don't want it[power] to be "just enough", but enough power to get the best response from the speaker drivers. So I think u have helped me make to move up to the m60ti towers

--- back to the sub which is still my biggest question mark. the HSU vtf-3 mk2 i can get from their site at 752USD out the door, and with the extra expense of the m60's vice the m22's. not sure I can swing the cost of the ep500 as its a good 400USD more than the HSU sub. I find it sort of odd that i haven't seen any "shootouts" or similar regarding the ep500 and the HSU ? its alwasy the HSU vs the SVS. actually I don't know that its fair to even compare subs of that large a cost difference. but that what I would really like to see. I've not seen a bad word about the HSU I have the most interest in[vtf-3 mk2], and can't really find much in reviewing the ep500 in a vs, or by itself even. I have seen the ep600 but thats a diff creature hehe not to mention price . and if i were to consider the ep500, I'd have to look at the Hsu VTF-3 HO and the SVS PB12-Ultra that are subs in a compareable price bracket. GRRR its a tough row to hoe, all these choices to make with limited knowledge, except for the input from good folks such as those that have helped me out here. I TRULY do VERY MUCH appreciate any and all input. thanks guys for all the wonderful input and patience with a "n00b", such as me.

--- a bit more sub, sorry
I see some mention the space size and the larger ep500 doing better in it than the smaller ep350. so is it safe to assume that its better to get a bigger sub "even if" one has a smaller listening space? simply adjusting down the volume of the sub to blend with the mains.

--- now, crossover, the yammy rx-v2500 to the best of my knowledge only uses ONE across the board, unfortunatly. is that a problem if I get the m60's with the rest of what I am thinking of getting? and would 100 vice 80 take some of the work load off the yammy and put more on the sub amp? and is that a good thing?

--- again all, sorry if my questions and statements sound lame, afterall I am just a n00b , but hungry for knowledge and wanting to get the best "bang for my buck". TIA Peace & God Bless America AND Canada as well

#133198 03/27/06 07:17 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think you will be good to go if you choose the HSU or the SVS and the M60's. If you cross at 80 and set the speakers to small that will take the work off the yammy.
And I believe the v2500 can be crossed at 80. You can check the manual here LINK

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
#133199 03/27/06 09:28 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
HomeDad thx for the link

--- here is what I found from manual:
Bass cross over's are: 40,60,80,90,100,110,120,160,200 Hz respectfully. what I did NOT see was if it would set seperate crossovers for the diff. speakers or one # for all of them. anyway. thanks for the info m8

--- ne1 else? comments? suggestions? so as of this moment hehe here is what i am looking at going with,
m60 mains
vp150 center
qs8 surrounds
vtf-3 mk2 sub
---------------
please give me opinion on my choices as they are at this time. Don't worry I wont be offended in the least if you do not like my choices. as it stands i'm at roughly 2700$, would u get what i have chosen or go with different speakers all together?

--- again it may sound stupid, but being at the reciever is a 7.1 , if running 5.1 can I send the unused [rear speaker] power to , say the mains? or is that not an option? again I appreciate any and all input, TIA Peace

--- those that use the qs8 surrounds, did u buy the stands for them? wall mount them? or what? as i have seen somewhere that it is better to have them[surrounds/rears] at about a 6 ft height. where as the qs8 stands are roughly ear level when seated.

#133200 03/27/06 12:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Stone, trust me, there has been much controversy regarding the Axiom 500 and 600 and the SVS Ultra. The HSU VTF-3 HO Turbo has now been thrown into the mix as well. And, yes, those subs are more of an even match. If you could afford any of those over the VTF-3 MKII, I would recommend going in that direction. But, if you can't, you needn't worry about the HSU VTF-3. It is an excellent product and will do the job just fine.

After a quick look at the Yamaha manual, I believe those crossover choices are "global." That means that whatever crossover point you chose is where ALL the speakers are crossed. I would start with the 80 Hz setting. Feel free to experiment with other settings if you wish, but that setting will work fine with all the Axiom speakers. The higher you move the setting (100, 120, etc.), the greater the risk of the bass being locatable (i.e. sounding like it's coming from the subwoofer, rather than blending with the speakers.

I think your choices are just fine. GO FOR IT!

Not an option to send the "unused power" from the rear speaker amplifiers to the mains. Think of your receiver's amplifier section as 7 distinct individual little amplifiers.

Optimally, the QS8s are placed on the side walls slightly behind the listening area and between 1 to 6 feet above your ears. The Axiom stands are meant as a compromise for those who, for any reason, absolutely cannot mount them on the walls, or suspend them from the ceiling. Using them is less than ideal, but not unsatisfactory.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#133201 03/27/06 02:17 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
thx "again" Ajax for your input

--- I value everyones thoughts, and as such I am gonna axe the qs8 stands from my order, thus freeing up 252USD to add to a sub purchase. [I know my way around a woodshop anyhow] so if need be I can draw up and built 2 nice hardwood stands, I'm sure, for @ 50 USD.

--- so, the bad part for me is,now it makes my sub decision all the more complicated , as i can now budget roughly 1000USD toward the sub. so... I'd love to get input on what u all think would be the best:

- Axiom ep500
- HSU VTF-3 HO
- HSU VTF-3 MKII
- Rocket UFW-12
- SVS PB12+
- SVS 20-39 pc+

any in that range that I have ommited from this short list? please feel free to let me know, thx

-** I MUST add that I care much more about tight accurate musical reproduction of instrument notes then I do loud, window rattling, subsonic growls. I'm far removed from the hipitty hop young music mentality. I'll take QUALITY sub sounds over Quanity sub sounds ANY day. hope this helps in aiding my old silly self. lol Peace

would it make sense to ask for this sub input in a new topic or poll maybe?

- allmost forgot , I'd assume that the m60's are shielded? so i can have them by TV with no ill effects?
thanks again for all the words of wisdom guys, appreciate it all

#133202 03/27/06 04:52 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You're very welcome.

Just my opinion, but I think the UFW-12 would be the most musical. BUT, the Axiom EP500 would be VERY close in musicality, AND, since it reaches a bit lower in the frequency spectrum, it would be better for HT. I think it would provide the best of both worlds (again, I'm biased because I own one, and love it). No offense meant to all you HSU/SVS owners.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#133203 03/27/06 05:18 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
just your opinion? hehe brother that is EXACTLY what I am asking of everyone. no need to apologize. I appreciate the fact that you gave a bit of explaination to your picks as well man. thx

so thats 1 vote - ep500

NEXT! step right up , don't be shy . . .

Please help me out with your picks of a sub everyone, I DO appreciate it, & value everyones opinion.

TIA Peace

#133204 03/27/06 05:32 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
EP500 with no regrets!

#133205 03/27/06 05:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Although I have never heard the HSU or SVS, I would have to go with the EP500 because I know it Rocks

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
#133206 03/27/06 06:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
EP 500 hands down.

I've seen lots of comparisons between subs of similar stature, such as the SVS PB-12 Ultra(closest competetor to the EP500 i think) and mostly the EP500 reigns king.

The PB-12 and EP500 are close in movies, but the EP500 should pull away in music. The other closest competetor I think would be the HSU VTF-3 HO. That is a really new product, so not much is known on how well it performs.

And, the EP500 is the only one of those subs (I believe) that has a DSP chip in it which will not lot the sub be overdriven...ever. Digital technology in your sub!

So...go for the EP500. :-) You will not be dissapointed.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020