Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M22Ti - Should I get another pair or get the M60's ?
#13356 07/11/03 06:27 PM
Mahesh Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I think I'm so spoilt by my first pair of M22Ti's that I'm constantly thinking (day and night) of getting another Axiom (M22Ti or M60Ti) pair for my bedroom.

I need help to decide to go this way or that...

So why do I like my M22Ti's so much that I want to get another pair ? Well here are some of my comments on the M22Ti that I have had in my possession since the last 4-5 weeks only. Some of my comments are copied from other user comments - but they still are what I strongly feel about this incredible instrumusical speaker ...

Wonderfully large spacious sound - incredible soundstage!
I am surprised Axiom doesn't put that as one of the major selling points on their M22Ti page.

Wow. It's so LIVE when you listen to a concert CD, DVD. I cant seem to find that in some of the audiophile speakers that are 5 - 6 times more expensive.

Superb details in the midrange and the highs
Tremendous clarity and smoothness in the midrange and treble. If you love vocals, you will love these speakers.

I simply cannot believe that I lived with those Bose, Samsung and Sony hifi speakers for so many years.

Amazingly instru-musical
I love instrumental music. And I can say this about the M22T's - whatever I throw at them - guitar, drums, piano, sitar, tabla, shehnai, everything sounds so rich and LIVE.

I don't listen to these at very high volumes but even at low volumes, I can hear every note, every string. The clarity is just incredible. All this in stereo 2 channel mode from 2 speakers placed 8 feet apart on a window ledge. The music just floats in front of you.

Tight Bass
I watch a movie or two each week on my HT setup and also love a little bit of the bass action in my living room. Also I love to read about subwoofers but I dont think I am a LFE/bass person in general.

I have read in many posts that M22Ti dont have enough bass. I'm not qualified to oppose that claim. But my personal observation is that it is not so - atleast in my case. I find the bass just right and sometimes a tiny bit extra. I often end up turning the bass knob down a notch or two on my Yamaha 2095 receiver.

Heavy, solid construction, great looks (cherry oak atleast looks gorgeous)
Those new
finishes look even more tempting.

Female vocals just shine through
Laura Fygi, Le-Ann Rimes, Nora Jones, Alka Yagnik & Lata Mangeshkar (Indian singers), and many more. Not that I dont listen to male vocals. But I just enjoy listening to some of my favorite female artists on the M22's.

Having said all this, why am I even thinking of getting the M60Ti when I love the sound of the M22Ti so much ?

Do you think I should stick with the M22's or will I get more pleasure from the M60's ? I dont have the pleasure of re-shipping these back within 30 days as I live in Hong Kong and it would take that much time for the speakers to get to me anyway.

My rectangular living room which has the M22Ti's is 30 feet long, 11 feet wide and has a 9 foot ceiling. I usually sit approx. 10-12 feet away from the speakers.

I have a window (with an excellent seaview) and a ledge on which I have placed my M22Ti's. It is approx. 26 inches high which is perfect as it brings the tweeter just above my ear level when I am seated on my sofa. I swing the windows open to let plenty of air through the vortex port as there is only 2-3 inches between the rear of the speakers and the glass window.

My bedroom is smaller. 13 feet deep X 11 feet wide and 9-feet height.

My living room has a regular TV which is ON every evening and my family loves to watch the soap operas. When I return from work, I basically dont have access to my music / HT system (except once or maybe twice a week) which is why I have decided to setup the B speakers in my bedroom for more 'music' time.

I have 3 options :-
1) Get another pair of M22's for the bedroom
2) Get a pair of M60's for the bedroom
3) Get a pair of M60's for the living room and move the M22's to the bedroom.

So what do you think I should get ?

Thanks for your opinions.

Cheers / Mahesh

Re: M22Ti - Should I get another pair or get the M
#13357 07/11/03 07:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mahesh,

Nice to read another positive report on the M22.

If it were me, I would go get the M60s, and try both the options (2) and (3). In my sense, it would be much more fun to have the DIFFERENT pairs of speakers in the two rooms. Plus, getting the M60 will literally give you more choice now, i.e., only (1) vs. (2) or (3), and in the future when you feel like some change or when you move.

#13358 07/11/03 08:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm with sushi on that one but i have to add, with a room that large (30 feet long) the larger M60s will help to fill in the sound over the smaller M22s.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: M22Ti - Should I get another pair or get the M60's ?
#13359 07/11/03 09:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Mahesh,

Thanks for all your positive comments on the M22ti. Yes, when I respond to personal emails, I often stress the 3-dimensional soundstage possible with the M22ti's. You might really enjoy the M60s in that big living room--they're too large, in my judgment, for the bedroom. I find it more difficult to get the wonderful soundstage from large speakers in a small space.

And is that an armadillo playing a lute or guitar, or a rat with a coat?

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#13360 07/11/03 09:21 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

Yes, when I respond to personal emails, I often stress the 3-dimensional soundstage possible with the M22ti's.

Exactly which set of speakers is providing the Z-axis in that 3D soundstage?

#13361 07/11/03 10:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I love my M22's as well, but just ordered a pair of M60's and am utterly amazed.

Put the M22's in the bedroom, and get a pair of M60's for your living room. You'll not regret it.

#13362 07/12/03 03:51 AM
regular
regular
I use the M22s + a VTF-2 for 2.1 channel television with a digital satellite signal. I have M80s in my bedroom which I use exclusively for 2 channel. I recommend getting the M60s for your stereo listening and adding a subwoofer for your HT system. I didn't think I was an LFE person either until I heard a VTF-2. Dave

#13363 07/12/03 04:44 AM
HGP Offline
old hand
old hand
Having auditioned both in a large space, I recommend going with the M60s in the living room and moving the M22s to the bedroom. With the M60s, you'll get the wonderful performance of the M22s with added bass, and an overall richness, power, and presence not present in the M22s in a large area.

#13364 07/14/03 10:25 AM
Mahesh Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hi All,

Thank you all for your time and comments.

After reading all your recommedations, I am sold on M60's too. I have some furniture re-arrangement to sort out before I order these. Still dont know if these will end up in the living room or the bedroom.

The living room arrangement requires a furniture re-shuffle (maybe). The M22Ti's are perfect for the 9-inch ledge at the window level in my living room. Whereas the M60's are 15-inches deep and also much taller (floorstanders). Which means I have to move them off the ledge and onto the Seating Area (see layout). This would mean making new cushions with cut out sections for the speakers and most importantly it will mean taking away seating for 2 persons.

I will work more on this later as I dont think I have much options if I want to use M60's in the living room.

Is it OK for the M60's to be at 17-inches height from the ground on a wooden cabinet ? The tweeter will end up being slightly higher (2 or 3 inches more) than the current M22Ti position.

The bedroom floor near the TV cabinet is empty so it would be definitely easier to position the M60's there. But that would make my listening area(seat) only 7-1/2 or 8 feet away from the speakers and I may not get that great a soundstage from so close (as Alan has pointed out).

Is anybody using the M60's at such a close range for 2-channel stereo ?

Alan, it is indeed an armadillo (CG). And in the full size version, it does look like a guitar.

Thanks again for your comments.

#13365 07/14/03 02:11 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Unfortunately i cannot help you decide whether to cut your seating in half or not but
In reply to:

But that would make my listening area(seat) only 7-1/2 or 8 feet away from the speakers and I may not get that great a soundstage from so close (as Alan has pointed out).

Is anybody using the M60's at such a close range for 2-channel stereo ?

I do have a smallish sized room right now for my audio equipment and i sit about 8 feet away from my M60s. I can form a decent soundstage but its width is rather limited such that moving a couple of feet in either direction to the left or right removes the stereo image enough to distinguish right and left speakers. If i had even 2 more feet to move our couch backwards, it would help to widen that soundstage to fit the entire width of our couch which is obviously more preferable when there is more than one person watching/listening to the system.
Eight feet is certainly possible but this is most likely the limitation you will run into when setting up the speakers.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020