Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Maximum usable dB for each speaker model?
#133910 04/03/06 04:07 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

You just push Bren off to the side a bit more is all.

Ever tried pushing a solid, if gangly, Irishman?

This is turning into a speaker shootout?

Bren R.

#133911 04/03/06 04:31 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
In reply to:

Ever tried pushing a solid, if gangly, Irishman?

No need to push. Just line up shots of whiskey on the floor in the direction you need him to move.

I've now fulfilled my daily sterotype quota.

#133912 04/03/06 02:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

This is turning into a speaker shootout

Apparently it is quite possible with the number of units we can bring together.
Bruce really has me excited about hearing these GR60s esp. in comparison to the Axioims in an A/B blind fashion.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#133913 04/03/06 03:43 PM
BruceH Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
This is going to be interesting for me since I have not had any time to listen to the GR60s. I listened to the GR10s at Creative Audio prior to picking these up so I should have a fairly unbiased opinion.

The only other speakers that I had listened to extensively were Mirage M3si and 895i speakers (my former front and rear speakers) Polk Monitor bookshelves and a few select other high-end speakers at Creative Audio (Hale Audio - no longer in business, Martin Logan - really wanted these but they were waaaay too big, Paradigm Reference, etc. etc.)

#133914 04/03/06 04:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Bruce, when exactly did you buy the GR60s?
They are quite a nice speaker It is the only brand that i can honestly say so far i've heard in a store that has really impressed me. I was surprised and unimpressed by the size of the smaller Silver S6s i auditioned. In comparitive price, the M60s are a much larger, sturdier built unit. Since i could not audition them in my home, i'm unsure of the difference these two models would have on filling a room with sound. By physics alone i would expect the M60 to fare better in this comparison, but the GR60s are the larger models of the MA lineup.
It would truly be an interesting pairing with the Axioms, let alone with my even larger Tannoy D700s

, and .

Some fellow posted pretty reasonable thoughts here, although i've never found mine to be bright.

I think a test of the Tannoy Revolution Ones with Bren's M3s would also be very interesting to hear. Too bad we don't have a local pair of M22 to throw into that mix, although we could use the M60s by turning off the lower end below 80Hz or so. It migtht come close to emulating the M22 sound.

#133915 04/03/06 08:16 PM
BruceH Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I bought the GR-60s over a year ago. Just after moving in to our new house. Long story I won't go into here.

I agree about the sound. I was not impressed by the bronze or silver series. I had a reference point in my former M3si as to the quality I was looking for. In down-sizing I was tempted by the other Mirage omni speakers but wanted the precision of direct radiating.

I was always concerned about the ability of the smaller speakers to properly handle the dynamics and hence shifted to larger speakers. Technology has come a long way since then and hence the original question in this thread.

Those Tannoys are really nice (from Stefanko?). Concentric tweeters! I notice the acoustically isolating carpet under the speaker . I had soft packing foam under my 895i speakers for a while .

Alan did say that the power handling of the European speakers were not up to the Axioms. I think I had confirmed from the manufacturer's ratings that this was true.

#133916 04/03/06 08:40 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

Those Tannoys are really nice (from Stefanko?)

Nope, used.
I did look at getting new units from there, but the cost was silly. There was also no guarantee of getting what i wanted since the Definition line was cancelled several months before i was going to purchase. Stock was low.

In reply to:

Concentric tweeters!

Yes, an interesting design idea which i think works quite well. The dispersion of sound is very smooth, broad.
In reply to:

I notice the acoustically isolating carpet under the speaker

If that's what you call it. I just didn't have any feet for the speakers and didn't want to do any scratching of either surface, speaker or floor.
In reply to:

Alan did say that the power handling of the European speakers were not up to the Axioms. I think I had confirmed from the manufacturer's ratings that this was true.

Not sure where this came up or in what context. The Tannoys handle alot more power than my Axioms. They can present a heavier load, but if i recall, the smaller models, D500 and D300 were both 8ohm, around 90-91dB/W/m sensitivity (but anechoic or not, i don't know). I've never had my Onkyo receiver shut down while driving the Tannoys at reasonable volumes.

#133917 04/03/06 10:13 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Is Tannoy the brown one on the left or the black one in the middle?

I'm thinking that the black-finished one is a little small to be a floorstander. Breathtaking finish, though.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#133918 04/03/06 11:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Tannoy is the one up top.

#133919 04/03/06 11:53 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

Is Tannoy the brown one on the left or the black one in the middle?

I'm thinking that the black-finished one is a little small to be a floorstander. Breathtaking finish, though.

I personally prefer a vinyl finish rather than fur(it muffles the high end to much) lol

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082