Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Best AVReceiver under 1000$? consideration withn
#134303 04/04/06 06:13 PM
old hand
old hand
This was the same list I was down to a few months back. I finally settled on the Pioneer, I'd like to know when it can be had for under $1000

Overall I love the receiver and all the bells and whistles. I'm also of the mind to avoid AVR video switching if possible. My current TV has 2 HMDI and 2 components so I don't need to use the AVR. Only use the AVR for video switching if you lack enough inputs on your TV.

I especially like the conveinent Ipod interface and MCACC.

I'm currently using it with 2 M60s, a VP150s, 2 QS4s, and an SVS 25-31PCI.

The only download which I think other probably have is the MCACC speakers settings are universal across any memory slot you use. I'd like to have for instance a MCACC 1 for movies with fronts as small, MCACC 2 for 2 channel with fronts large, etc.

Re: Best AVReceiver under 1000$? consideration wit
#134304 04/04/06 08:00 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
firstly thanks to all that have given their input , I do much appreciate it
I have never heard of this place but [ChicagoTC]it had the best price on all the models that I listed, anyone know anything about them? reputable or not?
http://www.drplasma.com/dr/cartid90779-EVEREST-97WAVRC726/ic-VSX74TXVI/itemdesc.html

about using the amp to connect all the video stuff. I had read its not the best way to go and a few of you seem to feel the same way. so the "up-conversion" that at least the yammy's provide is NOT a good thing for HDMI input? or does that go for ALL video input? I am "evaluating" the new JVC HD-56FH96 [just delivered today] and supposedly it scans and converts lesser input signals to 1080p <-- or maybe that should be 1080i. anywho, that was the reasoning for my question about the AVR upconverting input. I'm getting the OPPO DVD player, so its safe to assume the optimum connection would be the DVI out from the Oppo direct to HDMI in on the TV?

again thanks for any and all feedback. so I have a few more AVR's to look over. glad someone , had words about the Pioneer as it looks very good to me. as do the others. but . . . . with advice to NOT connect DVD and [future] satti dish to AVR, has got me wondering if I should worry about getting a different AVR at all. Afterall i have a [new unused] yammy rx-v2500[[it has no HDMI input/output.] so I should connect all video straight to TV and use optical to the AVR for audio?

more thoughts? thanks guys.
Stone__Man

#134305 04/05/06 12:04 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Stoneman - Your stuff is already so much better than mine that I am probably not a credible source.

But, my opinion is, if I were you, I'd just keep the Yamaha, route the digital video directly to the TV, and get a nice, macro-capable Universal Remote (like the MX-700 or a Harmony or something) to make your switching easier. Unless you have I/O shortage problems on your TV or something. Seriously, the Yamaha is a good piece of equipment, and I just don't see how your quality of picture or quality of life is going to be meaningfully improved by the additional expense. You know, there is a difference between "converting" and "scaling", so just be sure you're getting what you think you're getting by spending all that time and money on cables to chase the 1's and 0's around.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#134306 04/05/06 03:08 AM
old hand
old hand
Stone_man,

That is a great deal. When I was looking around a few months ago I couldn't find anything from an "authorized" dealer for under $1499. Luckily, I had a connection at abt electronics and got mine for $1150 out the door.

In regards to my authorized dealer comment from my research I don't think any internet dealers are authorized for Elite model AVRS.

Check this link on Pioneer's authorized dealer policy.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/top/0,,2076_86556318,00.html

Also check this link for authorized AVR dealers
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/two/0,,2076_83644739_277297187,00.html

I don't see Dr. Plasma on the list. Take the authorized dealer as you will, but I don't think Pioneer will honor service w/o a fight if you buy unauthorized.

Be sure to note the difference between upconversion and upscaling. Upconversion will take component, hdmi, dvi, etc and output them all out a single hdmi.

Upscaling will take say a 480p signal and output it 1080i out via hdmi. I know the Yammy 2600 and the new Denon 2807 will do this. Neither the Pioneer you mentioned or Yammy 2500 can upscale.

Again, I didn't really need this feature as my Oppo, Xbox 360, and HD satellite are all connected via HDMI or component and my TV upscales everything to 1080p anyhow.

#134307 04/05/06 11:29 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have my OPPO's video connected directly to my Sony HDTV with the supplied DVI/HDMI cable. I don't know which TV you have, but all that I am aware of do their internal upconversion to whatever format they need. Once again, doing upconversion in an audio receiver makes no sense for me with any of the newer HDTVs.

The Rat. M80s, VP-150, QS8s, SVS PC 20-39+, OPPO, Onkyo 703s, Harmony 880 Sony 60" SXRD HDTV
#134308 04/05/06 01:23 PM
L
regular
regular
L
Stone Man,
You may want to log on to Audioholics.com and read a post on the forum with regards to the RX-V2600.There seems to be a problem with many HD cable boxes that DO NOT send the signal thru the rec. This is NOT a problem with the rec.,but with the cable box. I just put a system together for a friend using the 2600 and I must say it is a very nice piece of equipment.I am running all the video to the HDTV so the switching issue is not a problem.Hope this helps.

#134309 04/05/06 04:11 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
interesting replies. thanks SO MUCH peeps

I THINK I have this straight , but still one thing eludes me wee brain hehe.

up-converting is basically taking all video input of whatever source and outputting it via [1]HDMI to TV ( or component if that is the "best" out connection the receiver has?) like the v2500 has no HDMI so it would take all connections and output to TV via ONE component connect?

upscaling is the receiver changing the input to a higher standard? say 480p to 1080P? I assume that this is where the problems lie with connecting video sources via AVR? that the AVR just does not do a good job of it?

sorry for still wanting to be clear but...

I guess my next question would be why on earth would I want to upgrade to ANY of the AVR's I have listed? After reading these replies...what would be my gain? as the v2500 from what I have read is a solid AVR, AND it already paid for lol ....and the OPPO [presumably does a good job upscaling of the source to 1080i]

if a A.S.S.U.M.E. correctly , who are these AVR makers targeting to "upgrade" to their products with the HDMI in/out puts? especially when they don't appear to do a good job of it.

again I thank u all that have replied and that will reply.
Peace,
Stone__Man

#134310 04/05/06 04:24 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

if a A.S.S.U.M.E. correctly , who are these AVR makers targeting to "upgrade" to their products with the HDMI in/out puts? especially when they don't appear to do a good job of it.

Easy. People with upgraditis. There are a lot of people that automatically think that newer = better. I don't buy into the hype of DVI and HDMI. I still think that component video is the best way to go (especially with front mounted projectors). If you have your DVD player sitting under your big-screen TV and the HDMI or DVI cable only has to travel a few feet then it will provide for a cleaner install but I don't think it necessarily provides better quality.

I like the idea of those who say, let the receiver handle audio switching and let the video equipment handle video switching. I think it cleans up the signals and the electronic topologies.

#134311 04/05/06 04:50 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
thanks for reply BruceH, so i ASSUME that u think I should stay with the v2500? lol

may i ask how on earth do u do the [in reply to:] stuff? I have used other kinds of forums that have a "quote" tab to hit to do that, but for the life of me I can't figure it out on this forum. [using Firefox btw] thanks

#134312 04/05/06 05:15 PM
old hand
old hand
I think you've answered your own questions. If you have v2500 and don't need the video switching I don't think there is any reason to upgrade.

You have it right with the upconversion/upscaling thing. But I think the issue is more with HDMI versions and handshakes between the devices. Whether you're upconverting or upscaling I believe the same issues are present.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters