Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Winnipeg gathering (Tannoy & MonitorAudio & Ax
#135970 04/19/06 03:35 AM
old hand
old hand
Cab it up to Regina and we can make a road trip of it out to Winnipeg. Make sure to pick up a Roughriders jersey while you're here, they'll appreciate it very much in the peg.

M3's(LCR), Onix X-Sub, Marantz SR5200
#135971 04/19/06 04:56 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I think with the amount I'd spend on a cab, I'd be able to purchase my own speakers for a comparison.

It does sound like a very nice GTG with a chance to listen to some excellent speakers. I own the mini version of the MA GR60s (GR10) and the medium (?) version of the M60s {M40), but haven't heard any Tannoys.

Lest I forget, it would also be a chance to meet some forum members. Speaking of which, I hope Axiom offers another BBQ/GTG. I'll start saving my money for the plane ticket!

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
#135972 04/19/06 06:27 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Make sure to pick up a Roughriders jersey while you're here, they'll appreciate it very much in the peg.

Hey, I've got a Riders hat... did some consulting work for them before last season. They've got a much better front office than we do here.

I sure really put that in the back window of my car, piss a few people off.

Bren R.

#135973 04/19/06 06:28 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

In Ste Anne's? We almost bought a house there last year.

Yeah, friends of ours are the chiropractor there. Kind of a get together and "while you're here, we want to insulate our crawlspace" thing.

In reply to:

So in your absence, all you have to do, before you go out to Ste Anne's, is drop off your M3s and Hsu sub

(radio edit)

Bren R.

#135974 04/19/06 02:01 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
In reply to:

I own the mini version of the MA GR60s (GR10) and the medium (?) version of the M60s {M40), but haven't heard any Tannoys.

Well i can't speak for the differences in the GR series, but i have A/B'd the M40s with the M60s. There was no comparison IMO. Although the M40s made for a good price point for a floorstanding speaker, the M60 had distinctly more clarity and resolution. That seperate midrange driver makes a world of difference.
I will be curious to hear what others have to say about the Axiom and Tannoy comparison.

In reply to:

Lest I forget, it would also be a chance to meet some forum members. Speaking of which, I hope Axiom offers another BBQ/GTG. I'll start saving my money for the plane ticket!

The next time we head back down to our favorite spa, we would like to plan another Axiom tour of the new sections. This time i will write down my questions before i go and pay more attention to my camera settings.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#135975 04/19/06 02:15 PM
devotee
devotee
And here I thought that two weeks would be plenty of time to arrange schedules .

I am usually flexible for Saturdays. My preference would be to wait until we can get everyone together as one of my objectives was to be able to listen to the M3ti speakers. I know I could always pop over to Bren's place some other time but if it means putting it off for one more week, that would be acceptable to me.

As far as I can tell, the long term forecast is calling for rain on that Saturday . Not ideal speaker transporting weather.

What do you think Chesseroo? Just go ahead or wait? And that being said, would even the following week be open for Bren?

#135976 04/20/06 03:18 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I recently spent some time looking over the Tannoy web sight. Damn they have some speakers!! I’m particularly interested in the line with the electronics. Their funky driver configuration is quite amazing if it actually works. Just out of curiosity Chess, what do the Tannoy lines run?? They look mighty spendy.

Too bad you’re so far away. I’d be tempted to box up the Opus 2’s and throw them in the mix.

#135977 04/20/06 03:51 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
The following week (Saturday May 6th) might work for me. There is a street wide garage sale on that day though so parking might be a bit fudgy depending on how many people come by. Considering our area of town though, we might see a fair bit of traffic. We are going to try and toss our fridge into the sale (the only item we have) so we could get ppl coming by our place as well.
Secondly, that Saturday is also the day of the wine festival. My wife and i have tickets. The event doesn't start until 7 but we would need to eat early.
If auditioning in the early afternoon, things would still work time wise.

I'll let Bren weigh in on things before we decide, but i'm good to go either way. With only an M3 to disconnect, Bren can travel wherever quite easily. If he brings that Hsu sub to pair against our EP350 though....
Oh what fun.

#135978 04/20/06 04:06 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
mdrew,
The only Wharfedale speakers i heard were at an audio shop about 4 years ago just before i went searching for speakers seriously. I don't recall the model but they sounded very overdone, bassy, heavy and not what i was looking for.
I know for sure they were not the Opus 2s. They were not that expensive.

Tannoy sells a wide range of priced speakers. Unfortunately it seems they've really gone from hard core selling their dual concentric drivers (rather unique and well refined) to making more standard speaker and generic HT audio for the masses stuff. I own a pair of the Revolutions. They are not that exciting.
The Definition line was one of the last models they made that fell into a price range for the "not too expensive" elite category. The small D300 was about $2500 for the pair Cdn, new. The D500s went for $4k new, retail and my D700s for about $6k Cdn. I got mine used at $4k after shipping from the States! At 90lbs a piece, 180 lbs of speaker travelling over 2000 km can cost a small bundle but otherwise the price was about 50% of new. The lesser models, similar drivers, called the Saturn models are also no longer being sold. Those paired nicely against the Axioms in A/B trials, but they did not have the build quality and were more costly yet NOT wrapped in wood veneer!
The Tannoy Prestige and Kingdom lineups still have the age old Tannoy design and models and those are rather pricey. I love the sound though, but do not find they have the clear resolution of a speaker with a dedicated midrange driver.
Damn big units.

#135979 04/20/06 02:56 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
From what I’ve heard, the Opus line is quite a bit different from the other lines. All the drivers are made out of different materials as well as the cabinet and crossover. Plus the mid range is a 3” dome. Their tweeters reach quite a bit higher as well. I’m happy with them, but it would be cool to get different opinions just to see where my opinion lands in comparison to folks who actually know what the hell to listen for.

If you guys need a set of M3’s and Bren can’t make it, I have a set in Boston Cherry collecting dust that you’re welcome to use. Shipping costs back and forth may be pretty high though. International air can get expensive. I was going to use them for surround backs, but I’m probably going to get another set of QS-8’s for that as the M3’s don’t fit very well where I have to mount them.

Thanks for the Tannoy info.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020