Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What makes one speaker different from another?
#137177 05/03/06 04:48 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Getting back to what you posted about, I think "haters" in general, are THE worst one's to look to for anything....let alone a product review.

Those type of people are usually the one's with the hysterical, negative remarks about almost EVERTHING.

A much more credible poster may say something like: "I tried this product, really like it, and thought you may as well".

Instead of the sour-grapes, flaming, "I HATE this" (BUT I haven't heard, or owned it).

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
#137178 05/06/06 09:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Wow...what an open ended question!!!

Why do people trash one model while supporting another? There are volumes of material written on subjects that would need to be considered - marketing, psyhcology, physics, human nature......

But what makes speakers different? Well, again, there are numerous reasons (some of which I am sure will be left out in this reply), here are a few:
- Price Point
- Materials
- Design Theory
- Designer Approach , Experience, Beliefs
- Testing Methodologies
- Goal of Designs

Any one of these itself can spawn debates within the design community, and very seldom would an absolute be agreed upon. In my career in electronics/electrical engineering, I have had the pleasure (and sometimes the misfortune!!!) of speaking with the people responsible for some of the products - including audio - that we use on a daily basis....some applications are employed by companies that service our daily needs. I can state that certain things are commonly known, but the approaches vary wildly.

Anyway, as mentioned, personal preference and "subjectivity" is alive and well in the world, so enjoy, listen to as broad a selection of audio equipment as you can, and form your opinions.

#137179 05/07/06 12:18 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I did it the goofy way, but it worked.

......just one persons opiniom.

I knew I didn't like dark and muddy, I knew I didn't like bright and piercing, So I started in the middle.

I tried the B&Ms that had a wide selection of poor quality stuff and a switch to go between them in groups.

Not very impressive and too limited. No selection I liked, at all, in the stores.

Bummer.

Hey look! Computers.

What does the great majority say? Uh, About WHAT?

Price? I had a limit, gotta stay within it.

Audio Review? Good starting point, who likes what in my range and in neutral sounding bookshelvs.

Here'e E-pinions, watta they say?

Here's some real "Audiophile" forums, ooooo! what do these "real" experts think?

Wade, wade, wade through dozens of review, hundreds of dozens of reviews.

Let the "hunter/gatherer" in us take over!!

It's the hunt, the hunt, the kill can come later!!

What brand had the greatest number of satisfied customers? And of those models within that brand, what model in particular held the highest number of folks who used "Love" in their statements. "Wow" is cool, "party on dude" is fun, and all the other ways of addressing excitement are wonderfull, but I'm in it for the long term relationship. I want a speaker that lots of people "Love"!!

Then there's the "professional" reviews. They may not be entirely trustworthy, but if you get a few dozen positive review from different publishing groups on various models from a particular manufacturer and the majority of those are aimed at one model, then there's a good chance that that one model may be a winner. And if it gets used as a reference monitor in testing other gear, then that's a plus, too!

Some of the biggie on-line names popped thru. Of those; who had a "Company" that seemed trustworthy and may be around through the next quarter? Was there a group of folks there in the front office whom you felt comfortable with? Where were they made? What about drivers and crossovers? And price. And looks and proportions and finish and all those things that either strike you as cool or a turn off. Always within that price point!

Then, since this is a total commitment, there must be more than just looks and sound!!

Anybody else think these speakers are luvable? Wanna talk about it??!

#137180 05/07/06 02:40 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Good to see you back, Mike.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16