Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Hey pmbuko!
#137851 05/08/06 03:37 PM
shareholder in the making
This is what I get for not checking the forum first thing in the morning. Clicking on this thread was like opening a precariously overstuffed closet. I'm still digging my way out from underneath your posts.

Thag ya all verr mush.

For my birthday:

- I'm getting a new floor installed today in about 2/3 of the first floor of my house (entry, hallway, kitchen, dining, and 1/2 bath). I was originally going to do the floor myself, but after weighing all the factors decided to go with professional installation. I'll probably feel guilty about it for the first week -- or when the money runs out (see kayak below). But, hey, with 12 months no payments, no interest, it's like we get a free floor!

- My wife finally got her kayak (hey wait, isn't it my birthday??) Happy wife = happy me.

- I've got a couple Amazon gift certificates to spend, thanks to Ken and a cool promotion from my preferred IT training company.

- I get to pick any two photos from my brother's portfolio to have printed and framed.

- Last but not least, I get the satisfaction of finally taming the dishwasher beast and learning that nothing in life is really free -- long story, maybe I'll post about it.

#137852 05/08/06 03:50 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Happy Birthday! Peter.

#137853 05/08/06 03:51 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Well, I'm late to the party, but no less heartfelt than our other friends.

Happy Birthday, Peter. I shall toast you this evening with a Lagunitas Censored Rich Copper Ale. I'd greatly prefer to be in your company.

Hey, I've got a dishwasher beast that needs taming! What did you use? Amulet, crystal, wrench, duct tape, potion, money?

Anyway, enjoy your day, especially the part where the family sings "happy birthday"

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Dammit Jim, I'm a geek, not a plumber!
#137854 05/08/06 04:37 PM
How did I tame the dishwasher beast? Four trips to Home Depot, and probably about $25, counting the items I returned. Kinda hard to return a ruptured hose, otherwise it would've been about $18. Might as well tell the story now.

My wife found a 5 year-old bells and whistles Maytag dishwasher that someone was giving away. After verifying that there was nothing wrong with it -- other than a small puncture in the tub easily remedied by a bit of caulk -- we gladly picked it up to replace our ancient GE dishwasher -- ancient like it has those toggle pushbuttons on the front and a dial that goes ka-chunk ka-chunk when you turn it.

So when I went to hook it up, I realized that I needed some fittings before I coulf get it intalled, and it was too late that night. So the next day, I got the parts I needed, installed them with liberal teflon tape, hooked up the water and electrical, slid the machine into place, turned on the water, tightened the hose clamps some more to stop some drips, checked each end of the hot water supply hose twice more for leaks, then fired it up and ran a couple cycles. At the end of all that, I was satisfied that everything was great, attached the kick plate, and called it done.

About 5 days later, my wife calls me at work and tells me the carpet in the dining room (adjacent the kitchen) is damp. Uh oh. I tell her to turn off the water to the dishwasher and that I'd look into it when I got home. What do I find? Floor under the dishwasher is wet. Luckily, the entire floor is on concrete slab -- slab that isn't entirely level, so the water runs down the slight slope through the underlayment beneath the vinyl tiles in the kitchen, and to the carpet padding in the dining room. Whee fun. For kicks, I turn the water back on to see where the leak is coming from. It's the union between the elbow and the hose barb fitting:

So I disconnect everything, pull the dishwasher out, lay it on its back, pull the fitting off, and apply more teflon tape to the joint, thinking that will solve it. Nope. But by this time, it's too late to go to Home Depot, so I tear out the carpet in the dining room, with my wife's consent. We've been wanting to get rid of it anyway. This is a perfect excuse.

Next day (this would be last Saturday), I stay home to work on it while the wife and kids go to a abirthday party. I go back to Home Depot and get some different parts. These leak in the same place. Damn! Back to Home Depot, this time with a master plan. Get an O-ring and place that between the hose barb and the elbow. While I'm there, I also buy a new hose, because the last thing I want is an old hose bursting. So I get home. attach the new parts, get everything back in place, test for leaks, and the mother-effer is solid. No leaks, nowhere. Sweet. I make myself lunch and go to the living room to listen to some loud music. Just as I'm about to take my first bite, I hear a pop in the kitchen, followed by the sound of gushing water.

Sh*t.

I run in and turn off the water. Verify that yes, indeed, the supply hose ruptured. Grab some bath towels to clean up the approx. 2 gallons of water all over the floor, disconnect everything, slide out washer, sop up the water. Oh look, the drywall got wet, too. Set up a fan in front of the dishwasher spot and turn it on high to dry it out. Finish lunch, drink a beer. Settle nerves.

Go to Home Depot one last time and get a tough, reinforced hose rated for 200psi. Get back home, install it, reconnect everything, push it back in place, test, test, test,. Yay, it works. Now I load the dishwasher with the piles of dishes that have accumulated in the meantime -- really honey, I'll have this thing fixed in no time -- and run a load. Finally, I have the beast licked!

Now, while looking for the above pictures, I find this part on a plumbing site:

If Home Depot carried this, I'da been done the first day. Damn Home Depot. Shoulda tried Lowes.

Next time, I'll know better. Nothing like (bad) experience to teach you, eh?

Re: Dammit Jim, I'm a geek, not a plumber!
#137855 05/09/06 03:02 AM
Well, the floor was completely installed when I got home. All in all they did a pretty good job. The floor itself is very nice -- a (from a distance) convincing representation of natural oak. It's better than we had hoped. My only criticisms are the two or three outside corners where the quarter round trim doesn't meet up nicely -- I know... if you want it done right, do it yourself -- and I had to call them back to re-do the trim beneath the door to the under-stairs storage which they blocked shut. Thankfully, they returned promptly, apologized profusely, and remedied the situation.

#137856 05/09/06 03:16 AM
Happy B'day my Taurus the Bull buddy.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#137857 05/09/06 03:28 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Pics!

#137858 05/09/06 03:37 AM
Oh man, Bruce twisted my arm and Amie is going to be really mad at me if I don't send this prototype back, oh well, Peter the M100's are all yours.

I'll get them shipped out to you Fed Ex tomorrow...

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#137859 05/09/06 03:43 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
No, not those pics...

Pics of Peter's floor. What type of flooring are we talking about, Pmbuko?

Btw Happy B-day.

*Michael*
AV123 Refugee - X-LS Encore, X-Voce, X-Omnis, Elt-Dpa's
Denon AVR-591
Magnavox NB500MGX BDP

#137860 05/09/06 03:52 AM
Pics? OK. Jessica has the camera hidden somewhere, so I took these with the built-in camera on the MacBook.

And this is the dishwasher from HELL! I'm recreating my emotional state after spending far too much time on my belly in front of it.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup