Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS DEBATE QUESTION
#138716 05/19/06 01:34 PM
R
old hand
old hand
R
We are all in agreement something needs to be done. I would love to see a Madmax/Road warrior type tribe with armoured vehicles patrol the border. The government wouldn't even need to be involved. Just a bunch of good 'ol boys in their toys. Sign me up!!!!

".....We don't need no thought control..." Axiom M60's CSW m60's HK avr 240
#138717 05/19/06 01:41 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I just love these political threads………..not. I just new I shouldn’t have opened it.

I’ll keep it short.

I agree with Teddy. I reckon I’m just an archaic redneck. Where’d I put that duct tape anyway?? Or better yet, maybe we should speak several different languages, fly numerous flags, and while were at it, lets just re-write the F-ing constitution. Why not? Who in the hell follows it anymore anyways.

Whoever tried to lump Teddy in with racist pigs is a tool.

#138718 05/19/06 01:45 PM
shareholder in the making
In reply to:

Just make a stand on something, right or wrong

In the words of the immortal Steven Colbert,

"The greatest thing about [President Bush] is he's steady. You know where he stands. He believes the same thing Wednesday that he believed on Monday, no matter what happened Tuesday. Events can change; this man's beliefs never will."

#138719 05/19/06 01:48 PM
Hey, man. Alaska's barely even a state. It's closer to being a Russian or Canadian territory than anything else...

You know I'm kidding, right?

#138720 05/19/06 01:50 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

This is because of the huge, aging baby boomers withdrawing their spending power from the economic marketplace.

Don’t you think globalization would compensate for a shrinking US economic base?

In reply to:

we'll need all the (legal) immigrants we can get to expand the economic base. It’s unlikely the population will expand sufficiently to prevent the depression, though.

I wouldn’t be so sure; Central Americans do know how to multiply quickly...

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
#138721 05/19/06 04:23 PM
old hand
old hand
The replies to my last post have gone way far beyond my wildest imagination! I haven't had so much fun stirring up a bee's nest in a long time...

I doesn't look like many of the respondants took much time to inform themselves about what Mr Dent has to say, or what he uses to base his economic forecasts. He's done a LOT of research, and I am personally aquainted with several millionares who have made several of their millions using his economic model. He can't be too far off with that kind of loyalty and performance.

In a nutshell, he has gone back several thousands of years in history, and can show where predictable economic highs and lows will arrive, and why. Spend a few hours reading up on his Key Concepts area and you will find it worth the time, if only for a better understanding of our economic world.

Some may have confused my comments on immigrants with agreeing to a free and open border; nothing could be further from my personal views. I had a strong european influence in my upbringing, and have lived there for several years. They had in the past very tight borders that you simply didn't cross without very serious consequences. There are longer borders there where you died trying to cross illegally. It can be done. I'm not sure we are willing to pay the cost for such vigil, nor do I think that we should go to that extreme. I like very much the quote from Theodore Roosevelt on immigration. I don't have a quick answer to the border problem, but I think we need to take it a lot more seriously than the media suggest we are doing.

One final dig: regardless of the immigrant question, we are going to need a lot more people spending and working to avoid / lessen the coming depression. Read up on the Key Concepts at the Harry Dent web site.

Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion: you must set yourself on fire!
#138722 05/19/06 04:33 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

First,it seems you didn't bother reading the posts. Then, you do a "drive by".........throwing abstract, negative references, against the wall, to see if anything sticks.

Alright then, won't let a sleeping dog lie - then once more into the breach... I did read the posts. If I have mischaracterized anyone's post, perhaps it's the fault of the poster for being vague on their opinion and reason for posting. As for a drive-by, I'll just remind you you brought the subject up originally, then drew first blood with your characterization of me as "over the top", all I did was pointed out that others with a different take on the subject had done the same, but left things ohh, just open enough to interpretation as to leave some doubt about what they were saying so as not to be called on it. Pardon me for being clear.

In reply to:

And, when that fails to ruin the thread, you blame the author.

Tell me, Larry... who tried to shut down debate on this? The thread didn't go in the direction you hoped - a mass of bobbleheads nodding in approval.

In reply to:

The old "flame, and blame".......hmmmmm, where have I seen that tactic before?

Ah, yes, the ol' "I couldn't stand the heat, I got out of the kitchen and now I'm pointing to anyone else I can as the arsonist"... try this sometime - stand up tall, take an arrow yourself... shifting blame to me is easy, I'm a bit of a conduit for it.

In reply to:

Oh yes, and thank you for adding the "redneck" stuff.....your rants are now complete!

I just give the audience what it wants. You asked, you got it. As for ranting, I think all that followed my post falls more into that category. It suddenly got 90% more "yeehaw!" in here.

Bren R.

#138723 05/19/06 04:34 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Ya, I figured you were kidding. Funny thing about being an Alaskan, whenever I travel abroad, folks think I’m either Canadian or an “Alaskan” as if we were our own country. They know I’m a “yank” right off the bat, and usually hate me for it……then they find out I’m from Alaska and want to buy me a beer and talk about Eskimos, polar bears and 24 hour days.

That aside, I was born in Arizona. My mom’s mom was a Cherokee girl born and raised on a reservation. Died young then my grandfather (who came over to the states from Cork County, Ireland) married a Mexican woman They had a few more kids after my mom and a couple others (my cousins are and I together are quite a sight). Half my family is Catholic, the other is Mormon, and two of my five sisters are atheist lesbians. I’m currently non-denomination and detest religion in general, but am studying Zen. I have no allegiance to any political party, none….zip. Did I miss anything?

No wonder I’m so F-ed up.

#138724 05/19/06 04:39 PM
That's quite a family you have there. Mine feels so... white bread in comparison. Thanks for sharing.

#138725 05/19/06 04:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I imagine 24-hour days would be a lot of fun. 24-hour nights, on the other hand ... [shudder]

Let's just say that I see plenty of people in Virginia with Seasonal Affective Disorder. Can't imagine what that'd be like in AK. Therapy lights for everybody! 10,000 lux, stat!
---

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,046 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup