Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS DEBATE QUESTION
#138686 05/17/06 04:30 PM
LT61 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
This is a question for all the people, (I don't mean on this board) who keep saying:
" illegal immigrants only do jobs americans won't do"

IF illegal immigrants only do jobs americans won't do.......and, we make them all "americans".....THEN, who will do those jobs?

(I saw littleb's reply in the wwyd post, and thought it might be a interesting topic here.)

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
Re: ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS DEBATE QUESTION
#138687 05/17/06 05:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Nice....

I like the comment from a Democrat senator ro congressman or something (sorry for the bad reference), who offered $50 an hour to ANY American that would pick lettuce for an entire season. He said that no American would do it.

Now, I am not using the word "Democrat" negatively, just as a way to try to spark some people's memory as to who that guy was, because I know a lot of people who would jump at the chance to make $50 an hour.

I hope that this thread can stay constructive for everyone, thus the reason I want to say "hey" to my Democrat friends even though I vote and support most Republican ideas. We are all wanting the same end goal, a safe and prosperous USA.

Thanks LT61 for a good question to spark some thoughts..

Farewell - June 4, 2020
#138688 05/17/06 05:50 PM
aficionado
aficionado
What if, God forbids, the US economy sinks into a depression as or worst than the one during the 1930s. It’s probable that a good number of legal unemployed people would set eye on jobs that ‘americans won't do’. What would happen then? What would make an employer hire legal instead of illegal employees if not the government? The illegals have the upper hand since they may work for less than the minimum wage.

Last edited by JaimeG; 05/17/06 05:53 PM.

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
#138689 05/17/06 09:35 PM
aficionado
aficionado
50 bucks an hour to pick lettuce?sign me up and ill get an illegal immigrant to sub out the work from me for 15 bucks an hr.

#138690 05/18/06 12:00 AM
old hand
old hand
Here's some food for thought:

If you check out the site of Harry S. Dent, one of the formost economic forcasters in the US today (check out the Key Concepts section), you'll see that we (US and Canada) are indeed in for a depression in 10 to 15 years. This is because of the huge, aging baby boomers withdrawing their spending power from the economic marketplace. The next two generations are both smaller than the previous one, meaning that the economic base is diminishing, rather than growing. This is the first time in US history that such a generational situation exists. If we want to lessen this economic forecast, we'll need all the (legal) immigrants we can get to expand the economic base. It's unlikely the population will expand sufficently to prevent the depression, though.

PM me if you're seriously interested in what I'm doing to insulate myself from that depression.....

Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion: you must set yourself on fire!
#138691 05/18/06 04:21 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I just want the borders secured... give all who are here already a path to being legal is fine with me (as long as its not a freebie ahead of those trying to come here legally), hell they are virtually American's anyway...

Congress, get this done already geez, it's not rocket science.

A bit OT, it is interesting to me how poorly we are looked at from rest of the world yet so many people want to come here.

#138692 05/18/06 04:28 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

in for a depression in 10 to 15 years. This is because of the huge, aging baby boomers withdrawing their spending power from the economic marketplace.

Now I don't mean to pick on the boomers here, but every article I read names every generation after them... Gen X was the kid of the boomers (now 40s)... then GenY, New Boomers, Zoomers, blah blah, etc... somehow they tie everyone in from the age of 20-45 into a demographic they need to prove a point. (Reader's Digest did it this month in a pandering "oh, these kids entering the workforce now that don't know their place!" article)

All the boomers I know got into sectors that now require 10 years experience and an alphabet soup of letters after someone's name by showing up at the right time and taking down the help wanted sign (usually with barely a high school education)... their companies trained them, they worked up the ranks, then turned around and burned the ladder behind them... busting the Unions that got them there, implementing hiring outside the company, outsourcing to foreign lands, privatizing Crown corporations, and all the other general BS that's propping up their top-heavy posteriors and destroying the economy. Everyone says it's the guy on the floor running a milling machine making $45K a year that's sinking their industry... he's a bum on the rod compared to the bum on the plush in the office pulling his "only" $175K a year, with a few mill in stock options for sweating up his suit collar with grease stains trying to wrap his head around with of these peons to downsize first.

Maybe it's just my personal experience on the planet... but where are these boomers spending their money that is going to cause this depression when they quit spending it? I see them at Wal*Mart and dollar stores... finding any way they can to continue giving back nothing to an economy they've taken so much from, pinching every nickel until it farts pennies to make sure they stay ahead of the next guy.

So stores that sell Elvis busts and garden gnomes as loss-leaders, take heed!

As for the rest of us, maybe the retiring/dying off of the boomers is just one final flush in what they're been squeezing out for the past 30 years.

Bren R.
Any resemblance between Douglas Coupland and the author is strictly coincedental. Never even read one of his books.

#138693 05/18/06 05:08 PM
LT61 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
A few more points to ponder:

I find it hard to believe ANYONE would be in favor of the current, out of control, immigration situation.
That would mean that one would be (in reality) in favor of the exploitation of immigrants by the MANY unscupulous employers, who hire them for "under the table", and low wage jobs.

Another point I don't think people "get", is the fact that if there was another country that offered the same ease of entry, the same opportunities, they would be flooding into that country. (it's NOT for the love of this country)

Lastly, from what I can see, the majority of these 'NEW" immigrants just want to be able to come, and go as they please, and work, and live where they choose....they don't WANT to be citizens of this country. (unless we say they have to leave).
They ARE NOT INTERESTED in our culture, or customs.

IT would be much better if instead of sneeking into the USA, they would stay home, (and protest the corruption that is causing them to leave in droves)....and fix their own countries....instead of running away.

There is much, much, MORE to being an American, than just showing up here.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
#138694 05/18/06 06:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
An intresting quote from 1907.

Theodore Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
#138695 05/18/06 06:47 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
To quote Michael Burkett (aka Fat Mike of NOFX)

No longer svelte, they gotta punch new holes in the Bible belt
They've blown out the fire under the melting pot, the red blood of America is starting to clot
No compromise, no sight thru others' eyes, they're just flies spreading pieces of sh*t
You gotta emigrate, stop living in hate, what makes this country great is dwelling on either side

They don't want visitors in Jesusland
They want life bland and canned in the fatherland

Makes me glad to live in a country with a multicultural society. My neighbours on one side call to each other across the yard in Polish, a language I don't understand, but I can tell the difference between "Why did you leave this in my way" and "These flowers look great here." On the other side, I hear the neighbour and his sister yelling back and forth in machine-gun German too fast for me to comprehend. Two doors down in either way are Herb, another German immigrant and Steve, who was born in Kiev. Strangely enough, even without the pressure to intergrate, assimilate or segregate - all four of them fly the maple leaf somewhere in the yard. I'm the only one born here and I don't.

I'm guessing suppertime here smells a lot better than in Teddy Roosevelt's "One language. One flag. One people" view. Kinda reminds me of another famous political figure with a funny moustache's vision.

Bren R.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 470 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup