Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 48 of 260 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 259 260
Re: Oktoberfest
#13906 09/17/04 11:39 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Nice....Arrogant Bastard always gets 2 thumbs up from me. As long as I can distinguish up from down anyway.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#13907 09/18/04 02:35 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm highly partial to their pale myself.

I'd suggest that you check your local brewpub for keg prices - you'll likely find a good deal on something. I believe my local brewpub has kegs in the $80 range. The beers can be hit or miss, so it may be wise to sample a few before purchasing.
My buddy recently acquired a kegerator from costco - it's about the only thing he wants to talk about any more (not counting T&A, poker, and trips to the river).

#13908 09/23/04 01:21 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Ok so this thread was almost off page two...needed a bump.

I made a beer for my mother this past weekend, hopefully it'll turn out well and she'll like it. (She's not a beer drinker at all.) I took a risk and decided to make a vanilla milk porter. (Essentially a milk stout with no roasted barley.) I figure, if nothing else it will be unlike any beer she's ever tasted. The desired result is a healthy dose of vanilla underlying a moderately sweet, creamy porter. Something to drink cold with a slice of apple pie at christmas time. She recently got elected as a district justice in my hometown, so the beer is being dubbed "JudgeMental".

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#13909 09/23/04 01:43 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
when i was at the grocery store on tuesday, i noticed they have beefed up their beer section, and enlarged it to include lots of import and microbrew beers. so, i grabbed a six pack, and told my wife i was gonna try a different one each week. i grabbed a sixer of St Pauli's Girl. i know, i know, its kind of common, but i have never had one, and i liked the picture of the girl on the bottle

BTW- i never noticed til tuesday, but the HUGE display of beer at the store is almost like art.. it was a 7ft high, 30ft long mural of colors and textures, and designs. i found it somewhat mesmurizing to look at.

i think next week i will try an italian beer that looked interesting. i have an idea, maybe i need to make a list of hopefuls and post here for ya'll to advise me on. it will at least keep the thread alive on a weekly basis. ?

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#13910 09/23/04 01:50 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I had made a similar "art" observation once regarding beer displays. There's this place called Springfield Beer Distributor in Philadelphia that I used to frequent all the time. It's basically a huge warehouse with pallets of beer. They're arranged in isles and grouped by brewery, and each pallet has a different type of beer. The first time I went in there, I felt like I had entered a beer museum or something. It is a wonderful thing, and I haven't been able to find any store remotely close in size up in Boston.

Beer is Bread
#13911 09/23/04 04:23 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Thanks for the bump, Andrew. And especially for the update on your brewing art. I brew vicariously through you and others now, as I lack the time. So keep those updates coming.

Sounds like you are really out on a limb with the JudgeMental (great name, btw!). I'll look forward to hearing more about it. All-grain or extract? Congratulations to your Mom; that is extraordinary!

I've been saving the six-pack holders from beer for years. I figure someday I'll cut them appropriately and make a collage of some kind in the garage. The art can be wonderful. Much more whimsy in beer than in wine.

ObTastingNote: I had a Three Philosophers belgian from Brewery Ommegang in Cooperstown, NY the other day. They make a beer I really like (Hennepin - a Belgian farmhouse-style ale). The Three Philosophers was billed as quadruple-fermented blend of their Belgian ale with Lindeman's Kriek. Well, it was rich and effervescent, but it did not express the lambic or the fruit with any kind of eloquence. Disappointing.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Re: Beer is Bread
#13912 09/23/04 10:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
bigjohn, I like that ST Pauli's better than Becks. Expresses more of the German malt character that I love. I just picked up a little 5L mini keg of Kulmbacher Pils (no Reichelbrau! ) for this Saturday's games. I'm looking forward to it.

ringmir, that beer is out there, man! Making a good clean simple beer not challenging enough for you?

Tom, got any thoughts on the best methods for dry hopping/aroma hopping? I've tried Hallertau plugs in the secondaries, flash boiled pellets of many varieties in the secondaries (couldn't get up enough nerve to just dump them in there), and HEALTHY quantities of aromatic pellets at the end of the boil. Just never seemed to be able to get the nose I wanted.

#13913 09/23/04 11:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
ringmir, how do you feel about shipping north?

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#13914 09/24/04 12:34 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
LOVE that Kulmbacher! Love the 5L kegs! Fun.

Mark, I don't know what to tell you. I'm not exactly in brewing trim right now; you know I really gave up after my kids started to be interesting. However, I'd offer the following.

I share your concern about sanitation and hop additions in the fermenter. My most successful dry hopping did not involve bottles; I have several corny kegs and only rarely bottled. There is obviously much less chance of anything funky happening if your beer stays refrigerated and is force-carbonated. Bag o' plugs in the keg.

As to variety, I know you don't like the cascade/chinook/columbus varieties because of the citrus flavor, but maybe if you use them just as a dry or finishing hop, you would get the aroma punch you want without the grapefruit you don't. I've never been big on noble hops in homebrew; I always liked to make big-bad ales, and felt I needed either the American C hops or Fuggle derivatives to get what I wanted. YMMV.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#13915 09/24/04 03:44 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
bigwill- i drank 2 of the st paulis girl last night while watching survivor, and liked them very much. there was definitely a 'hearty' touch to it, but it was not at all over-bearing. i was talking to one of my friends, and he said to try it at 'room temp'.. ? ah, no.. i like beer cold.. not real sure why he would even suggest that?

i think next time at the store, i will write down a few of the ones i am interested in, and post on here for suggestions. i really think i will like about 90% of the beers i try, but i would prefer some back-up from ya'll. every once and a while, i get one that is down right bad, and then i get angry for paying $7-$8 bucks for the six pack of beer that i will have to force myself to drink. perfect example, samuel adams.. WAY too hearty and bitter for me.. didnt like that beer at all!!!

i trust in ya'lls beer experience, and hope you can lead me in the right direction. after years of lone-star and shiner blonde, i figure its time to branch out a little.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
Page 48 of 260 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 259 260

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082