Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: De-sensitized zone?
michael_d #139641 05/26/06 04:49 PM
shareholder in the making
BTW, just gonna point this out, but there is (and has been for a long time) a report to moderator button right below every post. I'm pretty sure it's the one with the "No" symbol through it, 3rd from the left. If you mouse over it, you can usually tell which one it is.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
michael_d #139642 05/26/06 04:57 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

Bren made a good point too. He was right on the mark with what he said. I'm still holding a grudge against him for what he said to me months ago.

Funny thing is, I don't remember us having "history", for the most part, I attack the post, not the poster, so except for extreme occasions (a coastal member (Floridian?) that's no long here and the resident tubehead/tuber/tubee-what's the right term?) I don't remember what usernames I'm supposed to hate.

Hell, took me a year and a half to remember SonicFox was female with every one of her posts.

Bren R.

michael_d #139643 05/26/06 04:58 PM
aficionado
aficionado
By the way, welcome back.

I am not sure why this is so difficult.

Let's say everyone here, is standing around a mud puddle.

SOMEONE,......stomps their foot in it.

Guess what?.......the mud splatters on EVERYONE.

The focus Should be on the one who did the deed,.......NOT on the Mud covered, innocent bystanders.

Also, is "Graemlins Canadian for "Gremlins"?

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
michael_d #139644 05/26/06 05:01 PM
Mike:
With all due respect, I disagree with the jist of your post.

You seem to be saying "We're simply not capable of moderating ourselves or watching what we say". You might not be able to, but I am.... and I'll bet 95% of us can and will. If I lived in your world, there would be no coffee or mint chip ice cream available anywhere, because a few don't like it or can't resist it...

I'm not sure what's going on with the I/C references, except that it's hot here and I'm hungry!

There has been an "inform a moderator" button on these boards for as long as I can remember.

Mmmmmmm, ice cream......

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
michael_d #139645 05/26/06 05:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Well, so much for tact. Since you feel it's OK to just say what's on your mind without considering others, you certainly won't mind my doing the same, will you?

Quote:

I’m not much of an example to follow considering my totally ignorant PC way of conversing,...

Well, at least you're aware of it. That's a step in the right direction.

Quote:

I’ve got a temper and I say things off the cuff that just come natural to me. It’s just how I talk. I never was much for chit-chat or taking the time to consider how what I say will be taken by EVERYONE. It’s too damn hard and takes too much work

Well that sorta backs up what I had to say earlier, doesn't it. By all means take the easy way out . However, you have to be willing to bear the consequences of your actions, such consequences being others indulging themselves, just as you do, by saying just what they think.

Quote:

the “posse” mentality around here that has always been a peeve of mine. A posse is nothing more than a mild form of a vigilante squad in my opinion.

No more forum member vigilantly [sic] squads.

As long as we're talking about peeves, I find it quite telling that when a large number of members disagree with you, or find your posting style insulting and call you on it, you instantly classify it as a "posse" or "vigilante" mentality. It's a nice way of making yourself appear to be an innocent victim. In the immortal words of Marshall Shelley,

"Solitary shots should be ignored, but when they come from several directions, it's time to pay attention. As someone once said, 'If one calls you a jackass, ignore him. If two call you a jackass, check for hoof prints, If three call you a jackass, get a saddle.' "

Your unwillingness to even consider the possibility that you're out of line, or strive to do better is quite interesting.

Consider this change for your buck fifty.....

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #139646 05/26/06 06:09 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

"Solitary shots should be ignored, but when they come from several directions, it's time to pay attention. As someone once said, 'If one calls you a jackass, ignore him. If two call you a jackass, check for hoof prints, If three call you a jackass, get a saddle.' "

Never heard that before. Wonder what my colour is... brown or black?

Bren R.

BrenR #139647 05/26/06 06:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
While I agree with the implied meaning of that quote, the fact is, if it took criticism by only three others to classify one as equine, we ALL would be wearing saddles.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
michael_d #139648 05/26/06 06:30 PM
First, I agree with you completely than an ignore option would be a welcome addition. It leaves in each individual poster's hands an additional tool to help them avoid situations that self-control alone could not accomplish.

I'll have to agree with the other responses to your post, however. A posse implies coordination. That's not the case. We don't all PM each other and say "Hey, let's get that guy in check!"

consensus != posse

pmbuko #139649 05/26/06 06:56 PM
Amie Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Okay, we've had a lot of opinions so far. Here's my proposal, which you can comment on but I won't promise to change.

I think that everyone should make an effort to read their own posts over to be sure comments are about the post, not the poster. Maybe the 'submit' button should actually read 'I swear I read this over and I know what I'm doing.'

I think that I will also start posting a 'Take it to PMs' when I think the topic is potentially offending people. Caveat - we're all offended by different things. If I have not posted that phrase and you are offended, either

a) report it by clicking on 'report a post to moderator'
or
b) post 'Take it to PMs' yourself.

Note: posting 'Take it to PMs', accompanied by accusations, judgements, smirk-emoticons or anything else will not achieve the same goal as just putting the text in.

Let's call a truce on accusations. Let's give this tune-up a try for the next few days and see where we're at.

Amie #139650 05/26/06 06:57 PM
devotee
devotee
Sounds reasonable to me!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945