Rating: 4
Page 66 of 260 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 259 260
Re: beer thread
#14086 11/23/04 05:55 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Bend = Mecca. Peter, the only solace I can find is that you're now in Yakima which, besides the hop fields, is barely civilization. Be sure to go to Grant's while you're there. Get a Scotch Egg.

Sorry you could not make it over during your trip.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#14087 11/23/04 05:59 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Ken, my wife has allowed me to share this with you.

2 C half and half
2 C heavy cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 C sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
3/4 C canned pumpkin
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves

Combine half and half, cream, sugar and brown sugar. Heat until sugar dissolves. Cool to room temperature. Add vanilla. Combine pumpkin and spices. Chill both mixtures overnight. Combine mixtures and freeze in ice cream maker.

Enjoy.

Now let's hear it for Doc Gibbs and the band!

#14088 11/23/04 02:46 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
UUMMMMM.. ice cream.....

OK, back to beer.. i had said that my next beer review would be the italian 'Peroni', but that is not so. my wife surprised me on sunday afternoon by going to the grocery store, so she picked out a sixer for me. she decided to go a little off the beaten path, and got me some 'Saint Arnold Amber Ale', made and bottled at a micro-brewery in houston.

my first impression while pouring into the glass was that it was gonna be very strong, cause it had a very 'full' aroma. the color was a dark, almost cloudy, orangy-brown(if thats a word?).. it had a very small head, and was lightly carbonated. upon first taste, i realized the aroma gave me the wrong impression. dont get me wrong, it had good flavor, but not as strong as the smell would indicate. the flavor was mildly malty, but not overbearing. it had an almost creamy texture, but i contributed that to the low carbonation. the flavor was rich and sweet, and lasted in the mouth for a few good seconds after swallowing, with just the slight hint of bitter at the end. an overall above average beer, that was extremely drinkable, and enjoyable.

i would give it a 7.5.. that particular microbrewery(Saint Arnold), has several different holiday and seasonal beer that they produce. the amber ale definitely has me wanting to try other flavors from them. hopefully, our grocery store will get their winter stock, and i can give that a good taste test.

til next time, stay drunk, and pee away from the campfire.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#14089 11/23/04 04:33 PM
shareholder in the making
Right on! Thanks! It sounds fantastic.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#14090 11/23/04 08:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Right on, bigjohn! Sounds like you're heading in the right direction.
I, OTOH, due to self-imposed budget constraints, recently brought home 2 cases of Old Milwaukee in cans. Actually, I like the stuff alot - especially out of a high quality crystal pilsener glass.

I also brought home a bottle of Old Whiskey River - the bourbon that Willie Nelson markets. Super smooth, but ridiculously sweet, simple, almost bland. Nice stuff, but nothing to write home about.

It came with a free concert CD (good performance, so-so recording), so overall... not bad for $20.

#14091 11/23/04 08:48 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

bottle of Old Whiskey River

i have tried this also. i was drinking some 'Knob Creek' whiskey at the time, and a friend suggested for me to try the willie brand, and said it was similar to 'the knob'. i really didnt think so. old whiskey river isnt bad by any means, but it doesnt have the warm bite of the knob, and the knob has a great maple flavor that lingers well after you have swallowed it. not very comparible at all in my opinion.

i have recently been drinking some Ron Anejo Aniversario rum. it is not too expensive, and comes in a nifty little leather pouch. definitely a nice change of pace from your normal capt morgan or bacardi.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#14092 11/24/04 10:00 PM
Tom, Grant's went out of business. Sad, according to my sis-in-law, who got free beer from there. Maybe there's a connection???

Anyway, the place to go now is Bob's Keg and Cork, across the street from where Grant's used to be. I went there last night and had cask-conditioned Mirror Pond, then a cask-conditioned ESB that started with a B, then a Black Butte, and then a Guinness. It was a good night.

#14093 11/29/04 10:04 PM
I got back from Yakima, Washington safely yesterday. I drank a lot and ate a lot -- which translated into good times and lots of fun.

We went wine tasting along I-82 the day after T-Day and hit about 8 wineries. The Yakima Valley wine growers have a yearly event the weekend following Thanksgiving where they serve food either made with or specifically paired with their wines. Yum!

We came home with 1 bottle of Gewürztraminer, 2 bottles of red wine, 3 bottles of port, and 1 bottle of ice wine. A good haul, overall. Oh, and I stopped at the Deschutes brewery in Bend on the way back, as well.

#14094 11/29/04 10:20 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I'm glad you had a good trip, Peter. Hope to see you next time you come north.

There ARE good wines from Eastern Washington. Glad you found a few.

I had an 2004 Anchor Old Foghorn yesterday. Someday, maybe I'll have the discipline to cellar some barleywine. Probably not. It was quite sweet, but really nicely balanced and very clean. I would have anticipated a bit more hop nose, but it was highly drinkable. Delicious American barleywine.

I also had a Scuttlebutt Old No. 1 barleywine from Everett, WA. MUCH more alcoholic than the Foghorn (12.9% abv!), and not nearly as smooth and balanced. A well-crafted beer, clearly within the parameters of the style, but a little rough around the edges. I found the alcohol bite to be a little distracting.

Gotta love those winter beers.

#14095 12/02/04 04:30 AM
aficionado
aficionado
has anyone here ever tried Dogfish Head's 120 minute IPA? It's something like an ungodly 23percent ABV! DON'T DRINK IT ON EMPTY STOMACH, like I did... unless you wanna be useless for an hour or two!

Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?
Page 66 of 260 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 259 260

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters