Rating: 4
Page 69 of 260 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 259 260
Re: beer thread
#14116 12/05/04 02:34 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
hey, thanks guys for clueing me in!! i will bust 'em open and drink 'em during the football games today. i sure hope that i like them also. i have a fear that i have allowed myself to get too worked up over them, and might be disappointed...? who knows. i will give them a serious taste test, and convey my findings.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#14117 12/06/04 07:11 AM
shareholder in the making
I picked up a sixer of Widmer's Snow Plow winter brew. It's a "Milk Stout" and is very tasty. It's mildy sweet, apparently from the lactose they use during the brewing process. The lactose is how the "milk" style gets its name. It takes the edge off the bitterness often associated with stouts and gives the beer a smooth, creamy mouthfeel. It's not overly complex, but there's enough going on on your palate to intrigue even those who demand to be kicked in the teeth when they drink.

#14118 12/06/04 07:31 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I second that. Not too complicated, not too simple - overall a nice relaxed beer. Good stuff.

#14119 12/06/04 02:18 PM
local
local
john, congrats on the finding a few Belgians. I had a Corsendonk Abbey Pale Ale this weekend and I must say that it's one of my favorites. I've decided that I prefer it to Duvel. I'll also be picking up their Christmas Ale for the holidays soon (gift pack with glass) and I can't wait to try it. Anyway, I really hope that you enjoyed the 'Donk and Chimay (Red).

#14120 12/06/04 03:33 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
OK, heres my reviews or thoughts on the new beers.

first, i tried the Corsendonk Abbey Pale Ale. upon opening, i smelled the cork, and it almost smelled like wine, kinda fruity. i poured it slowely into my wide mouthed beer stein, and immediately noticed the BIG, white head. this beer had a huge head, that was full and soft, almost like a cloud. the beer color was rich golden color, with a tinge of cloudy from the yeast. it had a very rich aroma of fruit. and the taste, was very similar. it was mildly fruity, with a hint of spice. not too bold, but enough to arouse your taste buds. aftertaste was slightly sweet, not bitter at all. which was a surprise, because most other pale ale's i have drank, had a bitter aftertaste. this wasnt the case with the corsendonk. i DID swirl the yeast off the bottom on the last pour, which made it cloudy, but that last glass was a real kicker. almost like a liquid meal, very full, rich, and hearty. i would drink it with a meal, but almost prefer it alone, as to not have anything to interfere with its flavor. overall, i thoroughly enjoyed the corsendonk. 8.5 outta 10.. very good, will drink again.

and then there was the Chimay Premiere Red. i was most looking forward to this beer, cause i have a soft spot for dark, amber beers. i was not disappointed. the Chimay had a good head, and the color was deep amber, beautiful. slightly cloudy from the yeast, but perfectly acceptable. the aroma was even more bold than the corsendonk. strong scent of hops and yeast, with a hint of fruit. flavor and texture were devine. it seemed to swirl around the taste buds, almost creamy. and the flavor was also bold and hoppy, and stayed strong in the mouth. the light fruity flavor would come and go as the creamy, malty texture passed with a hint of bitter at the end. as before, i 'swirled' the yeast in the last cup, and it was supreme. murky and cloudy, bold and strong. very delicious and truly satisfying. i think i can say it was one of, if the THE, best beer i have drank. i was very pleased and ready for another. 9/9.5 outta 10.. very delicious.

and i will say that after these two 750ml bottles, i had a decent little buzz. i had a warmth radiating from my chest to my arms. very filling. these were both spectacular beers, with the Chimay Red getting a slight advantage. at $7.25 a bottle, its not something i would drink every day, but definitely a holiday or special event kinda beers. i now have the 'bug' to wanna go try ALL those different beers that i never tried before. i will be branching out to try an IPA, and the Duval. hopefully, i can get my hands on a Chimay Blue.. thats supposed to be good also.

thanks ya'll for all the help and suggestions. i am looking forward to my future journeys into the unknown.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#14121 12/06/04 03:49 PM
local
local
Since you liked the Red so much, all I have to say is wait until you have the Blue. It sounds like it will be beer heaven for you. Another Trappist to watch for is Rochefort 10. I've found that the Trappistes tend to be very semilar in taste. (Not that it's a bad thing) Although Orval definitely deviates from the Trappist norms and I wish I could get it around here.

HOLY CRAP I bet you did have a buzz. Two 750mL bottles would have me passed out on the floor. I once had 1/2 a bottle of Chimay White and that was enough for me. Now a good IPA to watch for is Fuller's IPA. It's a very nicely balanced brew and I think would be a good start with IPA's. Good to see you enjoying your beer journeys. Cheers!

#14122 12/06/04 06:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks, bigjohn, that was good reading. I'm betting that you'll not like any IPA, so maybe just try one bottle, eh?

Spock, I believe bigjohn is ~300 lbs (like me) - two bottles of chardonnay only get us a mild buzz.

#14123 12/06/04 06:28 PM
That's 'cuz Chardonnay is sissy stuff. Try drinking two bottles of Zinfandel and see if you can say the same.

#14124 12/06/04 09:35 PM
aficionado
aficionado
After reading your reviews, I may have to pick up some Chimay on the way home...

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#14125 12/07/04 01:28 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I still like most Blanc de Niores that I try, but no more pink zin!
It did break-in my wine palette during high school though.

Page 69 of 260 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 259 260

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters