Print Thread
Rate Thread
Integrated Amp Features
#141353 06/10/06 08:11 PM
LHawes Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I hope this question is appropriate for this forum but I have a technical question about integrated amps. First off I have my eye on the Outlaw RR2150 stereo receiver. The main reasons is I am growing a music only system and the feature set of the RR2150 is pretty astounding for a 2 channel set-up.

I especially like the base/sub management feature that is usually only found on AV multi channel components. Since I added the Mirage Omni S8 to my M22's the sub management is a must have feature.

But I just realized that I NEVER and I mean NEVER listen to the AM/FM receiever on my Onkyo HT R510. I don't even know if it works. I have read a thread eleswhere that pretty much stated that the features in the RR2150 would be near impossible to duplicate in an integrated amp and the cost savings (if any) wouldn't be that great over the RR2150.

What do you guys think? Is there an integrated amp that you know of with the features (mainly sub management) of the RR2150, minus the receiver of course?

Can the sub be managed from its own crossover even if an integrated amp doesn't have a dedicated sub channel? Is there any reason to shop beyond the RR2150? I would like to broaden my horizons and ideas on the subject and any feddback would be greatly appreciated.

Larry

Re: Integrated Amp Features
LHawes #141354 06/11/06 04:45 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Larry, I haven't come across any integrated amp that offers bass management. The Outlaw offers a very simple and convenient way to hook up a sub in a two channel set up. As for the tuner, I don't think I even know where the little antenna wire is for my HK. Like you, I never use it.

Here's a link showing ways of hooking a sub up to different systems.

I like the retro look to the RR2150.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
LHawes #141355 06/11/06 05:02 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Larry, I'm also not aware of any integrated amp with bass management provisions. In my view the two main features of the RR2150 are the high quality FM tuner(which would be an important feature to me because of three full-time classical FM stations in my area)and the bass management. If the tuner isn't significant to your decision, another possibility would be to simply use an inexpensive HT receiver with full bass management for your two-channel plus sub setup. This would also allow for possible future use of surround speakers even for music, since DPLII can significantly improve two-channel material by extracting ambience from the front and sending it to the surrounds where it belongs.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

St_PatGuy #141356 06/11/06 01:45 PM
LHawes Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks for the response PatGuy and John. I really need to do some more research to understand how amps, tuners and pre-amps really work. I've always just had receivers which is what I have now.

What I was contemplating was upgrading the amp section of the receiver to see what more power would afford my system. The problem is, I guess, is I already have a cheap HT receiver and am no where near contemplating a surround set-up but some times I just feel like buying gear, if you know what I mean, even though I may not truly need it.

It looks like there are a couple ways to skin the cat but I need to study those drawngs a bit more to truly grasp the science.

Thanks again

Larry

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020