Rate Thread
Balancing the Centre Channel
#141501 06/12/06 05:03 AM
jmone Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Hi,
I've balanced all the speakers with the AVIA test disk and the SPL meter but find that I am adjusting the sound all the time during DVD playback. For instance we are watching LOTR ExtEd at present and during dialogue my wife wants the Vol higher but during the action scenes she wants it turned down. It just seems that the dialogue passages are “relatively” quite in comparison.

I've just turned the Centre up +3DB (to+4.5 from +1.5) on the Yami to see how this goes (the Fronts are +5.5) for the next disk (and when I get around to it I’ll recheck with the SPL meter). Any other thoughts / idea (or am I hearing things?)

Thanks
Nathan

HT:M80,VP150,QS8,EP500 Outside:4xM3 Office:AudioBytes, Rumpus: M60,VP150,M22 Portable:2 x Airs
Re: Balancing the Centre Channel
jmone #141502 06/12/06 05:22 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
How did the fronts end up at 5.5 db each?

Usually, they are left at 0 as a "reference point" at the main db level. Adjust the center and surrounds, and sub accordingly.

Try putting your fronts at 0, then your center at +1 db. Nudge it up a little if you feel the need. Having the center up a couple Db's from the mains will help with the quiet scenes, but won't really make the action scenes as loud, that is what you want.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
jmone #141503 06/12/06 05:23 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Nathan, often center channels are placement sensitive. Do you have the speaker in an entertainment center? If so, try pulling out so it's flush with the edge, or even past it a bit.

Besides that, some movies are just mixed poorly--meaning the dialogue will sound kinda bad regardless of speaker issues.

Also, try to get the speaker pointed at you. What center are you using?

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
danmagicman7 #141504 06/12/06 08:49 AM
jmone Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Quote:

As per the instuctions on the AVIA disk, that was the setting to get 85DB on the SPL meter when the Yami is at "0".

I could play with the centre position (it is on top of the entertainment centre) but this TV will be going in a couple of months in favour of a 1080p set when they get out here.

Also while I have not put it over the SPL again, bumping it up 3DB seems to have a better balance between the scenes (at least on THIS disk). Will have to wait and see on others.

Last edited by jmone; 06/12/06 08:55 AM.

HT:M80,VP150,QS8,EP500 Outside:4xM3 Office:AudioBytes, Rumpus: M60,VP150,M22 Portable:2 x Airs
jmone #141505 06/12/06 12:54 PM
shareholder in the making
Beyond the other advice, I'll simply add that a fair number of people (myself included) have their center channel bumped up a few dBs to improve dialog intelligibility....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
jmone #141506 06/12/06 01:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Also Nathan, what you are experiencing, regarding the dialog being a bit on the quiet side while the action scenes are a bit too loud is not unusual, particularly for those of us who aren't striving for window rattling volume.

One thing you can try, when watching DVDs or anything with a Dolby Digital or DTS signal, is going into your Yammi's menu and adjusting the dynamic range of the the audio. Doing so makes the loud passages not so loud, and the quiet passages not so quiet.

I'm not sure what Yamaha calls this adjustment (on the 2600, they call it the "Dynamic Range" setting - page 84 in the manual). Some manufacturers call it "Night Mode," or something like that. If your Yammi has the "Dynamic Range" setting, setting it to the minimum may help.

Also, if you prefer the center channel bumped up a little bit to help clarify the dialog, that's fine. Calibrated settings are not chiseled in stone. Whatever works for you is the right setting.

As mentioned, position of the center channel, can be critical. If at all possible, aim it directly at your ear level, and try to place it in such a way as to eliminate any reflections from surrounding horizontal or vertical surfaces. I have my center channel extending beyond the edge of the shelf on which it is placed by about an inch, or so.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
danmagicman7 #141507 06/12/06 02:07 PM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

Usually, they are left at 0 as a "reference point" at the main db level. Adjust the center and surrounds, and sub accordingly.

Try putting your fronts at 0, then your center at +1 db. Nudge it up a little if you feel the need. Having the center up a couple Db's from the mains will help with the quiet scenes, but won't really make the action scenes as loud, that is what you want.

Just to clarify, are you not supposed to put just the Left Front to 0 @ 75 or 85db and then calibrate the rest of the system from that reference level?

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
HAY #141508 06/13/06 12:39 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It all comes down to personal preference.

Some places will tell you to calibrate your speakers to the main "0db" as reference (85db). I personally leave mains at 0 and adjust everything else. That way, I can easily say "oh, well since I'm closer to my mains now, my surrounds should be a couple db's higher." Easier to calibrate, I think. Once you start messing with the front channel levels so they aren't 0 anymore, then you have to start doing math in your head while watching a movie "lets see, I want the center channel a couple db's higher...so this minus this is this and therefore it is the right level!" Sometimes you can forget what level the mains were set, etc.

Also, setting the mains at 0 to me makes it seem everything must be adjusted around them, so you at least have one setting that remains constant as the reference. For instance, if you decided to drop your mains level a little bit, then your sub is really no longer calibrated to them, so that has to be re calibrated, and so forth with your surrounds and center. Just my opinion. Just seems more "messy" to me.

In the end, if you can run through a test CD and everything turns out alright, it doesn't matter what everything is set at.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
HAY #141509 06/13/06 02:48 AM
Hay,

I think it depends on the AVR your using. My friend has an older Pioneer and does it just like you said by placing the left main at 0dB and adjusting the main volume until he reaches 75dB. Then he cycles through the rest of the speakers and adjusts those.

I don't believe I'm able to calibrate in this same way with my Denon as the test tones are locked at a certain volume level. I can either run the built in setup with microphone, or use an SPL meter and cycle through each speaker and manually set them to 75dB's or whatever. Sometimes I do both. I have found the built in setup does a very good job.

You are correct though, as many people follow your method if possible. This is explained on many reputable AV websites.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

danmagicman7 #141510 06/13/06 05:20 PM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
Not to beat this to death, but I thought balancing/calibrating the speakers was having to do with your room acoustics and the effect on the speakers. So your 2 fronts are going to provide different levels, especially depending on placement/walls/furniture. Thus using the spl meter and setting all speakers to be equal to the original starting point/speaker.

Both my receivers had the option to increase volume while test tones were playing. I used the auto set up on the 4600 but went back and changed settings using the SPL meter and S&V disc.

I've mentioned before that while calibrating at 75db the test tones or pink noise? were very loud, louder than I would play a movie at. So I just want to make sure I'm on track with how I'm doing it.

Thanks

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 664 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup