Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Who Says Vinyl Is Dead
BrenR #141574 06/13/06 10:50 PM
shareholder in the making
Centrifugal (centripetal) forces on the stylus?? Come now, let's be realistic. As far as the stylus is concerned, it's tracking a straight line that just happens to slowly move about 4 inches from right to left.

The rest of what you said is accurate, though.

LT61 #141575 06/13/06 11:25 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Quote:

Not too long ago, I got out my Jimi Hendrix: "Electric Ladyland" L.P., and the current re-mastered cd version.

I play cds only these days, but every once in a while, just to see, I compare cd digital sound, to the analog vinyl.

Jimi's guitar on the L.P., (the 1983.....a merman, epic track) sounds like an electric violin....what tone!
However, on the cd, "the warm tone" just isn't there...(just one example).

This is a nice, simple test anyone (that has the discs) can try themselves.

Also, I forgot to say in my other post,.....vinyl did not "die".....but rather, was a victim of attempted "murder".
(by the recording industry....the guys putting out these cds, without ALL the 1's and 0's).

LT61, believe it or not people are repressing vinyl. I just purchased this set and it sounds fantastic.

Hendrix Voodoo Child Box Set

Again, I ask you this question. What table, what cart and what phono pre did you use? If you played it on an old Technics, Denon or low-end MMF or Project table with a sub-par cart I would expect the sound quality to be less than desirable.

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 #141576 06/13/06 11:35 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Here is another interesting link written by Christine Tham. She compared CD, remastered CD, DVDA and lp versions and included data to show the differences between them.

Spectral and Dynamics Comparisons of LPs vs Digital formats

BTW, my point in posting the original link was not to start a digital vs. analog argument. As a lover of music, it was to show that music is alive and well in the Ipod age. True, I believe CD to be an inferior format, but I do own several SACD's and DVDA's and enjoy them sound wise.

My system, if anyone is interested:

Turntable: Rega P5
Cartridge: Dynavector 10X5
Phono Pre: Monolithic PS-1/HC-1
Integrated: NAD C352

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 #141577 06/13/06 11:56 PM
That's an interesting article. I like how the author presented data and made speculations, but noted that there was nothing in his data to supports one format as being conclusively better than the other. Again, it seems to come down to the recording and mastering process.

JohnK #141578 06/14/06 02:20 AM
This is basic audio technology, not anything coming out of personal preference and certainly not related to specific equipment owned. Some of the discussion appears to reflect a misunderstanding of digital sampling technology. A properly sampled analog waveform(i.e. if at least two samples at the frequency in question are taken)is reproduced exactly as a result of the digital sampling process; no approximation or missing information exists. The distortion and other inaccuracies inherent in even the best examples of old technology, such as LP records, are absent. The quality of the original material can be duplicated with complete fidelity; if that material is of terrible quality it will be reproduced just as is. Enthusiasm for obsolescent technologies on the basis of nostalgia or collecting interest is all very well, but claims as to having competitive quality have no factual basis.

A study of Dr. Lesurf's explanation of digital samping in the material originally prepared as an introduction for his electronics and physics students is worthwhile in gaining an understanding that what comes out of the process is exactly what went in.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

pmbuko #141579 06/14/06 04:00 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

Centrifugal forces on the stylus?? Come now, let's be realistic.

You never cleaned vinyl with rubbing alcohol, did you? Put on a record, pour a quarter sized pool of it and it'll crawl to the outside of the disc... now think about that force being applied to a stylus riding in a groove with the tiny little surface area afforded by the tip of the stylus as friction against the force.

And as we learned about simple machines... speed is greatest at the outside edge of the wheel, torque is greatest near the axle.

Bren R.

BrenR #141580 06/14/06 04:38 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Physics rocks! (in this case )

Seriously thou, if "you" believe vinyl sounds better to "you" more power to ya. If "you" don't think there is a difference between vinyl and digital recordings, well thats fine too. It's almost the same arguement of solid state vs tubes and its a pretty pointless arguement because each side will have an army of people making their points but will be unable to sway the other side. It's like liberals vs conservatives. Good luck with that.

INANE #141581 06/14/06 04:52 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I'm all for people enjoying their audio system of choice. That's what this stuff is all about.

How about Fur? Fur's Dead, right?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
pmbuko #141582 06/14/06 04:54 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Quote:

That's an interesting article. I like how the author presented data and made speculations, but noted that there was nothing in his data to supports one format as being conclusively better than the other. Again, it seems to come down to the recording and mastering process.

It comes down to personal preference, like so much in the audio world. I happen to prefer vinyl to cd. As I've said before, I thought the original story was cool because it discussed kids getting back into an old music format. Didn't realize so many people would have problems with a format they haven't listened to in 20 years. I hear so much about listening with your ears on this site, but when it goes against the norm all the same old people jump out and dismiss it.

tomtuttle #141583 06/14/06 04:56 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Quote:

I'm all for people enjoying their audio system of choice. That's what this stuff is all about.

How about Fur? Fur's Dead, right?

You've got it Tom. Enjoy the music in whatever format you choose.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters