Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
SACD vs DVD-A
#144867 08/05/06 09:07 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
What's the preferece? I assume it depends on what's on the disc, but does one or the other have a better catalog? Anyone know of a website that has a comprehensive list of both?

Let's throw a poll in here!

DVD-A, SACD, or Other?
single choice
DVD-A (16%, 6 Votes)
SACD (32%, 12 Votes)
CD forever! (13%, 5 Votes)
Stop mucking with surround formats and convert everything to digital files already! (8%, 3 Votes)
Just buy a damn player already and stop asking about it. (32%, 12 Votes)
Total Votes: 38
Voting on this poll ends: 09/05/06 09:06 PM

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Re: SACD vs DVD-A
Ken.C #144868 08/05/06 11:32 PM
old hand
old hand
I find that classical music is much better represented on SACD while DVD-A has some unique recordings, sometimes mixed in a controversial way. I doubt there is really audible advantage to either technology.

Ken.C #144869 08/05/06 11:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
It's a mixed bag for me. I find myself preferring two-channel to the surround format as a whole. Some of the surround mixes are gimmicky and don't add anything to the musical experience. There are notable exceptions. My favorite so far is the Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots." The songs are given a unique interpretation in the surround format. Yes, it can be gimmicky, but in a good way--highlighting the fun one can have in surround. Other mixes I like are "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" by Elton John, "Sea Change" by Beck, "Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd, and "The Downward Spiral" by NIN. These mixes seem to be done with care creating a nice soundstage and seamless presentation. I don't find myself buying multichannel recordings anymore. Also, I can't stand the faulty hybrid disc format. I have a Ben Folds disc that sounds incredible for the first minute or so in the standard cd format, but then it gets choppy. I listened to it again last week and the multichannel format is just missing something. Maybe it's just me.

Ken, to answer your original question--I can't hear much difference between the two formats. If you want to split hairs I will say I like SACD better because I own a lot more those over the other.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Ken.C #144870 08/06/06 12:13 AM
veteran
veteran
Something tells me that they are both flash in the pan technologies. Copyright holders need to find a way to deal with digital media. There needs to be a compromise between the justified expectation for casual consumers to want to make copies wth with the content providers justified desire to get paid for the products they produce. Until then media with 'extra clarity' probably isn't going to take off. The mass market wants convenience. It doesn't care about a few extra bits in the sound recording. The next big shift will almost certainly be a variation of DRM yet to be invented yet. Content provided digitally will open up a lot of distribution options that I think consumers would appreciate-and in the process the content providers can create something that would make those of us with audio OCD happy for another few years.

St_PatGuy #144871 08/06/06 12:14 AM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah, I probably misphrased. I'm pretty sure that they all sound similar (boy it's weird to type right after playing the piano). It's more of a question of which one has the better recordings, if either.

I was quite enamored of DSOTM (even though I'm not really a Floyd fan) when I heard it on my friend's system.

Ken.C #144872 08/06/06 10:19 AM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
I've got 2, and I repeat 2 SACD's which blown302 bought me as Xmas presents. I've never heard a DVDA, so I don't have a preference.

littleb #144873 08/06/06 05:15 PM
devotee
devotee
I've got a few of each. Sonicly, I consider them interchangable. The multichannel thing is more of a "special treat" than anything else. Someone on this board once made the comment that if you sit down to listen, sacd/dvd-a is worth it. 20 years ago I sat and listened all the time, not so much these days. Which brings me to my little rant.
The one place where I and everyone else sits and listens, almost always with surround speakers already installed, is the car. You cannot get a sacd/dvd-a car player that does multichannel,at any price. You can get a bloddy video setup complete with dd sound and screens all around, but the few that play dvd-a downmix to 2 channel, WTF? Stupid bastards, anyway. DPL2 is a big (and expensive) deal in car audio. Am I the only one who sees the boat being missed here?

duckman #144874 08/06/06 05:27 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
I've always had a hard time seeing how surround could be implemented in a car; I mean, no one's going to be in the sweet spot other than the kid in the middle seat in the back, right?

I see that the item that's currently winning is for me to just buy something already... gimme a week or two, ok, guys?

Ken.C #144875 08/06/06 05:48 PM
devotee
devotee
Quote:

I've always had a hard time seeing how surround could be implemented in a car; I mean, no one's going to be in the sweet spot other than the kid in the middle seat in the back, right?

Well yes and no, the decent aftermarket stuff has time correction just like our home gear. The big boys do pretty well at getting 2 ch right with thoughtfull speaker placement and room treatments (no kidding). Really, with time correction and the ability to calibrate levels- basic features on home gear, I think it could be pretty special.
One of these days I'm gonna hook my sms-1 up to my car system and see what I can do.

Ken.C #144876 08/07/06 06:13 PM
veteran
veteran
If you like rock music - I think you would probably enjoy DVD-A a bit more. It is real hard to find good 5.1 Rock SACDs. There is an Alice In Chains Greatest Hits SACD, but the mixing is poor. The same is true for Oasis - What's the Story Morning Glory. The NIN - Downward Spiral is good, but could be had for a lot cheaper as a DVD-A. The same goes for The Who's Tommy. I own Johnny Cash - Live from Folsom Prison SACD and it is not that spectacular in 5.1. Most of my good rock SACDs (Rolling Stones, Birds) are stereo SACDs. Also, I own both Pink Floyd's DSOTM and Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic and they are great recordings.

I have been more satisfied with DVD-A's rock recordings - especially the REM Double Discs - one redbook CD and one DVD-A (seperate, not Dual Discs). They are must haves for any REM fan. The Foo Fighters and Stone Temple Pilot DVD-As are fun as well. In October, the Doors will be releasing DVD-As of all their studio albums, the crown jewel of all DVD-As in my opinion. On the other hand, Metallica's Black Album is a bit of a dissapointment.

I think SACD classical & jazz selections blow DVD-A out of the water from what I heard. I believe these formats are still thriving on SACD.

EDITED TO ADD (and this is important)- I see by your equipment profile you own the HK 525. The beauty of this receiver is that it CAN do bass management for hi-res. Just use the 6 channel or 8 channel DVD-Audio settings (do not use Direct as that defaults BM to your player. No need to spend lots of dollars on a high-end machine that does BM. I have an HK525 as well and I get really good bass using the 8 Channel DVD-Audio setting. Bass is pretty flat on Direct, though.

Last edited by royce73; 08/07/06 06:20 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters