Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Why not?
spiffnme #145380 08/28/06 09:30 PM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

Has anyone had any experience with dbuys.com, ibuydigital.com, or butterflyphoto.com? Or is it worth

Avoid butterflyphoto. They list their items as new but many people complain that they get 'open box' items, sometimes with a completely different product inside than what was ordered (one complaint I read claimed to get a camcorder rather than the digital camera they ordered-another got a broken digital camera with pictures on the memory card). They also won't ship to you until they get the opportunity to try to upsell you over the phone.

DrunkenWolf #145381 08/28/06 09:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you want to go online to order, I've heard good things about tape works texas.

spiffnme #145382 08/28/06 10:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
No experience with any of them, Spiff, but based on what I remember I've heard about Butterfly around the forums ("stay away from vendors from Brooklyn, NY with 'photo' in their name"), and based on what Reseller Ratings has to say about them, I'd avoid them.

Dbuys and IbuyDigital are the same company, in Edison, NJ. From what I find, I might consider going through them, but I'd have to do a LOT more research before I did. Good hunting.

Knowing where you are, may I suggest stopping in at the TVAuthority store in Santa Monica and seeing what kind of deal they could give you. The web page says "Showroom Hours: By Appointment Only" so you might give them a call to set something up. I bought my Samsung from them, and had a basically good experience. Others have had complaints that centered primarily around how long they had to wait for their TVs (it was an AVS powerbuy), and problems with the shipping companies (inaccurate tracking info). If you bought from them, you'd have to pay California state tax, but you'd sure save a lot on shipping.

Here's the TVAuthority internet store web site. I took advantage of their "9 months no interest, no payments (until May 2007)" offer and am paying my set off as I go. I had saved enough to bring the payments down to a manageable level. So far, so good.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #145383 08/29/06 02:16 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I did stop in and visit TVAuthority. They don't really have much of a showroom. Rather disappointing. Basically you can see what's available online, and then stop in the store in person to order if you prefer. They said that would put you at the top of the list as far as wait time, as they said they'd give a local walk-in customer first priority over someone they don't know in Ohio. (Sorry all you folks in Ohio! LOL!) The main focus of their walk-in store is to promote their custom home theatre building business. I think they're only "kinda-sorta" affiliated with TVAuthority.com

Besides that...they don't carry Sony products, and being a California company I'd have to pay the 8.25% tax. On three grand, that's an extra $250! Bleck.

spiffnme #145384 08/29/06 02:33 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Surprising! Judging by the info on the TVAuthority.com web site, you'd think they had heck of a showroom.

Also surprising is that they don't carry Sony. Did they offer an explanation as to why they don't? Have you decided that the Sony is the one you want?

Perfectly understand giving priority to a local buyer. You've taken the time and made the effort to visit in person. That deserves consideration.

Sorry I wasn't more help.

spiffnme #145385 08/29/06 02:43 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Looking again in more detail at the ratings at bizrate.com it seems that onecall.com is the safest online seller with a really good feedback rating.

Forget I even mentioned those other companies...wow. They all have horrible reviews.

spiffnme #145386 08/29/06 02:51 AM
shareholder in the making
I've been pretty happy with OneCall. Got my receiver and my macro lens there. Pretty fast shipping, good prices, yadda yadda. Never had to deal with their customer support or anything though.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
spiffnme #145387 08/29/06 08:50 AM
Yeah Craig, OneCall would probably be the safest bet, although some of the indications about this outfit don't look too bad.

Incidentally, in looking up a CD I ran across this merciless "news release" by David Hurwitz concerning one of our favorite classical compositions as affected by the Pluto de-planetizing, which I thought you might enjoy.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082