Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: New NASA moon project logo unoficially unveile
BrenR #145436 08/16/06 01:43 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Well and fine. But sometimes you've heard all the arguments over and over and over and over and over and over and over again and you just want to state your opinion and be done with it and not have to hear the same old freaking thing again. As far as the moon landing "hoax," well, there are still people who believe the world is round. Secondly, there has to be a point to faking it. No one ever really states a point. Just try to prove it didn't happen (prove a negative, divide by zero). The closest I've seen is that "they" realized very early on that it would be impossible therefore they started with the whole fake thing. And, by the way, somehow got the Russians to say "uh, yeah, they did it. We tracked them the whole way. Yeah, that's the ticket, we are sure they did it..." To which another tinfoil hat type says "well the Tri-lateral Commission and the Masons along with the Illuminati blah blah blah funded by Dupont and General Dynamics..." AAAAHHHHH!!!!! please....... make the lambs stop screaming.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
LightninJoe #145437 08/16/06 02:00 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Put me down as one of the round earth people

I don't generally put much stock in conspiracy theories. It takes too many people to make them work, and as Mark pointed out, they need to be motivated. Furthermore, I don't really care. Sometimes, the power of a story to heal and inspire doesn't require it to be proven to everyone's satisfaction. You know, I don't want to put the moon landing up there with religion (or even talk about the latter, thank you very much) but it is enough to me that *I* choose to believe.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
BrenR #145438 08/16/06 03:43 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I think faking a moon landing and have almost everyone on earth buying it for more than 36 years is by far a more difficult feast than actually landing on the moon , So congratulations to NASA either way.

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
JaimeG #145439 08/16/06 03:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Good point. Who could keep such a secret? Besides the populace of Roswell, NM, that is...

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
LightninJoe #145440 08/16/06 10:19 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

But sometimes you've heard all the arguments over and over and over and over and over and over and over again and you just want to state your opinion and be done with it and not have to hear the same old freaking thing again.

Everyone's heard all the sides. But as soon as you make a statement, there will be dissenting opinions. Stick a Jesus or Darwin fish on your car, someone will say something.

The only place you're going to not have a debate about any concrete statement is when you're in a place surrounded by like-minded people. Learned that last summer when I walked to my car with the "Union and Proud of It" banner across the back window after a wedding social for some friends of Lisa's that met at a Young Liberals convention. A young pair of grits getting it their car behind yelled out "Hey look, the NDP are here"... bit of jawing back and forth... I got into the car pretty pissed off that they'd felt the need to find offense in it, I didn't spend the whole night pointing out the drawbacks and foibles of all the Lib senators and MPs that were there.

One of the other people in my group put it into perspective, "Bren... at least you know they've evolved and are capable of speech these days"... then seriously she added "you know how hard it is to get two people to agree on dinner, never mind politics?"

Now if someone takes issue with my vehicular statement, I'll engage in debate, and leave their mother's promiscuity with barnyard animals out of the discussion.

Bren R.

medic8r #145441 08/16/06 10:27 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
The secret thing is pretty funny if you think about it. I mean, the NSA thing leaked, the Blue Dress Stain leaked, Watergate, etc, etc. I guess the thing with the moon landings is that the people they trot out as "witnesses" lack any credibility I can detect. They "knew someone who knew a guy" or say "I can't reveal my sources but whoa nelly if you knew who they were your head would explode" or "yeah I was a was a second-tier engineer for Grumman and I got fired because I knew the LM wouldn't work and they said they let me go because I sucked at being an engineer which of course couldn't be the truth."

My favorite is the former Lockheed engineer (dang, what's his name) who never studied astrophysics or particle physics but has "guaranteed" that no one could survive even near-earth orbit much less flying through the Van Allen belt to the moon. He uses as the basis of his blather about the spaceflight hoax the fact that astronauts always say they can't see start most of the time when in near-earth orbit, completely ignoring the effects of atmosphere as a light filter, the lack of such a filter in space, the tremendous glare of the sun and moon and the earth itself which is several orders of magnitude brighter than any other celestial object etc.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
LightninJoe #145442 08/17/06 12:15 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Exactly! Can you imagine the logistics nightmare for NASA/Gov. if in fact the LM was a carefully orchestrated hoax? You can only ‘hush’ so many people, right? IMO, most conspiracy theorists overestimates the US government. The US government is just not that capable and clever... the private sector, maybe, but not the government.

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
medic8r #145443 08/17/06 12:42 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Good point. Who could keep such a secret? Besides the populace of Roswell, NM, that is...

And I'm going to keep right on believing in the Rosswell story until the Govt. finally gives in and shows us the photos to prove to us that it didn't happen.

JaimeG #145444 08/17/06 05:19 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

The US government is just not that capable and clever... the private sector, maybe, but not the government.

Well, we're not talking about recent governments, either. This was back in the LBJ days before Presidents got sidelined by knotted bread and spent second terms negotiating arms deals with jars of jelly beans.

Bren R.

JaimeG #145445 08/17/06 08:56 PM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

The US government is just not that capable and clever... the private sector, maybe, but not the government.

And with that all the conspiracy theorists add to their theory that the moon landing hoax was contracted out to the private sector. Perhaps lockheed martin.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters