Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: New Home Theater Progress
CV #146477 02/13/07 02:06 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Wow....nice woodwork. Is that bird's eye maple? Sure does look mighty purty, whatever it is.

For your imprisoned speakers, I'd build a sliding shelf that would pull out when you open the doors. Similar to kitchen cabinets with roll out shelves for heavy things.

It would be real easy to do. That would help big time. Keeping the speakers in the cabinet will be a big time bummer. I know, I had them like that before and when I pulled them out, I realized how bad they sounded in the cabinet. So if you plan to keep them in the cabinet, don't EVER pull them out or you will realize what you've missed.

Wid #146478 02/13/07 06:13 PM
M
buff
OP Offline
buff
M
Quote:

I'm curious if you read this article by Alan on How Speakers Radiate Sound: Why Wall Units are the Enemy.

Oh, yeah.. I'm fully aware of the evils of cabinet-izing your speakers. The Audio Gods are surely frowning upon me right now... Unfortunately, wifey went unhinged when I proposed a more open cabinet setup like below.

Quote:

I hung a 58" Panny (the 600U) on the wall last month and I am thrilled with it.

I would (and have) wholeheartedly recommend the Panasonic plasmas. Like Pioneer, they excellent PQ. However, Pioneer's shiny black sets didn't seem worth the extra couple $1000 to me for what you get with Panasonic.

Quote:

I'd also worry a little bit about your other compenents in that AV rack. I know a few audiophile buddies are very picky about extraneous vibration in gear rack, and I wonder how much reverberation you'll get in the AV cabinet during bass heavy music from the M60's?

Hopefully, sending most of the LFE to the sub will help with some of that. That, and I tend not to crank up the volume too high (we'll see if that still applies once I get the Axioms).

Quote:

Yeah, my TV has the optical out as well, but it only sends audio from digital stations over it, so I would still need an another cable for the analog stations...

Good to know. Luckily, I don't watch any of the analog channels, either.

Quote:

Wow....nice woodwork. Is that bird's eye maple?

Close. It's actually "poor-man's maple" (a.k.a. birch), stained to match our alder (a.k.a. "poor man's cherry") furniture. Maybe if I wasn't such a technology geek, I wouldn't be so poor. Truthfully, the photos don't do the woodwork justice. For some reason, it looks really blotchy in the photos, and that isn't really the case in real life.

Anyhoo, I think I'm going to stick to the M60s, as they'll have a bit more breathing room than the 80s would. The sliding platform mentioned a few times sounds like a really good idea to keep in mind.

Luckily, we still have a nice, big room in the basement to be finished yet. Once that materializes, I may move the M60s downstairs so they can be out in the open where they belong. Or, I may just buy some M80s.

millerbrad #146479 02/21/07 06:38 AM
M
buff
OP Offline
buff
M
Well, for what it's worth, I got my email from Noreen on Monday saying that my VP-150 & pair of M60s had shipped. I'm anxious for them to show up, and DHL's lack of tracking info isn't helping me out much.

I also ordered a VTF2 MK3 from Hsu, and will be making a trip to Circuit City for a Denon AVR987 (aka 2807).

The Hsu is slated to get here on Friday. Hopefully the Axioms are soon to follow. Heck, maybe they'll even get here first, since Ontario is just across the Lake from me. No telling if they'll get bogged down in customs or something silly.

millerbrad #146480 02/21/07 07:37 AM
M
buff
OP Offline
buff
M
Quote:

I'm anxious for them to show up, and DHL's lack of tracking info isn't helping me out much.

I spoke too soon. Tracking info finally popped up, and my Axioms are also due on Friday. It's gonna be a fun weekend...

millerbrad #146481 02/21/07 04:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Axiom's shipping is usually pretty quick. Congrats on the order. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Your cabinet turned out beautiful.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617