Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: M22 Question
Hutzal #147905 09/22/06 05:09 AM
shareholder in the making
Robb, the point is to have the sound from the mains and the center reach the listener at the same instant. If this is done from positioning alone, the center speaker should actually be slightly farther back in order to be the same distance as the mains, but one doesn't have to rely on positioning alone; the receiver has distance settings for setting up the speakers which can adjust for a center speaker which is closer by delaying it slightly. So, this isn't a reason not to have the center speaker slightly overhanging the edge of whatever supports it.

Again, my preference is for the wider and smoother horizontal dispersion of a vertical center speaker, as compared with most(all?)horizontal configurations. I'd use M22s all across the front and put the rack wherever else was convenient.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #147906 09/22/06 06:55 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
JohnK - you find a vertically oriented centre to be superior in horizontal dispersion? Really?

I did some testing with an M22 and an M3 against my VP150 and found the dialog sweet spot a LOT wider with the Vocal Point.

Bren R.

JohnK #147907 09/22/06 02:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Robb, the point is to have the sound from the mains and the center reach the listener at the same instant. If this is done from positioning alone, the center speaker should actually be slightly farther back in order to be the same distance as the mains, but one doesn't have to rely on positioning alone; the receiver has distance settings for setting up the speakers which can adjust for a center speaker which is closer by delaying it slightly. So, this isn't a reason not to have the center speaker slightly overhanging the edge of whatever supports it.

Again, my preference is for the wider and smoother horizontal dispersion of a vertical center speaker, as compared with most(all?)horizontal configurations. I'd use M22s all across the front and put the rack wherever else was convenient.

Do you use 2 M22s for the centre channel? I looked at my diagram and figured out that I can put the AV rack in the corner in front of the sub (if the sub goes in that corner) because the sub will be facing the wall anyway so I can have access to the controls.

I'll make it a 20" x 20" rack as high as I need it. So its all good.

-Hutz

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #147908 09/23/06 08:21 AM
No need for two center M22s, Robb; one does the job.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JasonEuc #147909 09/23/06 02:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
JasonEuc,

Your understanding is way off. Loudness, as measured in dB SPL (Sound Pressure Level) and our subjective perception of what constitutes "somewhat louder," "clearly louder," and "twice as loud" is complicated and is not calculated by simply multiplying the decibels arithmetically.

A 3-dB increase in loudness most listeners describe as "somewhat (or a bit) louder"; a 6-dB increase as "clearly louder"; and roughly a 10-dB increase as "twice as loud".

Wall-mounting the M22s increases their lower bass output below 100 Hz by as much as 9 dB, according to Ian's measurements. That is heard subjectively (and I heard it in the blind tests) as the lower bass in the 40 Hz to 80 Hz range sounding about twice as loud, especially in the lower octaves where the M22s on stands normally roll off (gradually decline in output).

The decibel is a source of great confusion because everyone at first assumes there is an arithmetic relationship between power in watts and a speaker's sound output in decibels. I've written about this at greater length in the Axiom newsletter archives.

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 226 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup