Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Yeh I know but please give recvr advice anyway ;-)
laurien #148084 09/23/06 07:43 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Laurie, welcome. The choice between using bipolar or mosfet output transistors is relevant to the engineers designing receivers, but should be a non-issue to the user. Units in all price ranges use either type with essentially equal end results. Tubes represent an obsolescent technology and aren't competitive on a price/quality scale.

As far as the receivers that you're considering, any would serve you well. Since you apparently would like something specific, I'll suggest the Yamaha 2600(or the new 2700)as being possibly a bit more user-friendly(at least the manual is).

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

laurien #148085 09/23/06 02:23 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Welcome Laurie,

Excellent choices for home entertainment.

Many good choices for receiver. All of the above are good.

I wouldn't worry about the "user-friendly" part of picking one. There are plenty of friendly users here to help out.

The Denon 3806 or the 2807 are nice fits.

WhatFurrer #148086 09/23/06 03:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
WhatFurrer,

Thanks for your commments, Tom Tuttles, and everyone's contributions.
The Sherwood Newcastle receivers have excellent amplifier sections. We have several different models at the Axiom plant and even the least expensive (an AV model combined with a DVD player; no longer in the line, if I recall) will drive the 4-ohm M80s with no problems.

I'll preface my general comments on "ease of use" by saying that no particular brand--Denon, Yamaha, H/K, Onkyo, Pioneer-- is easy to use without consulting the manual. But certainly some brands seem to be a bit more intuitive, or the remote has more clearly labeled buttons, or there are dedicated buttons on the front panel that are easy to find, not hidden behind a little panel with labels impossible to read without a flashlight.

I have not had experience with the Denon 3806, but a more junior model (a 1704, perhaps) belonging to a friend's son I was able to get operating and switching different surround modes without consulting the manual.

My visits to the Axiom listening room usually involve 2 to 5 days, but I found trying to switch the Sherwood to the stereo mode extremely frustrating. I had to bring in a couple of my colleagues who were able to help because they'd used it more than I had. I did not look at the owner's manual until later.

By contrast, the remote control for my H/K has a dedicated button labeled "Stereo" that switches off all the surround modes and goes to stereo. Simple.

In my experience, Yamaha menus are fairly complicated as well. No matter which brand you get, Laurie, I recommend you take some time and read the manual, but there are guidelines that will help: Are the remote's buttons too small and hard to read? The remote must have a backlight button. Can you read the front-panel display from 10 feet away, which will let you change modes, functions or sources without turning on the video display, if you are just listening to music, for example?

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
laurien #148087 09/23/06 04:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Let me be the first to say that's one nice looking hooker.

I'll admit that I honestly believe ECs are the spawn of the devil, but that is one fine looking piece of furniture

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s
Re: Yeh I know but please give recvr advice anyway
tomtuttle #148088 09/24/06 03:49 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Our good forum friend dllewel lives somewhere in Utah. I like Dave's setup very much. He seems satisfied with his Lexicon receiver, in case you were not confused enough.

Yes, I'm in the south end of the valley (So. Jordan). Welcome Laurie! And thank you Tom for pointing out to me the location. I had failed to notice that.

Anyway, it may not be the funnest way to spend a Friday night, but to get a feel for which receiver may be more user friendly- the manuals can tell a lot.

You will love the Epic 60 - 500. The finish selection can be a tough choice, but it's nice to have so many options.

You are in good hands here on the forum. I have learned so much here. Isn't it great? You get great speakers, customer service, and all the technical help you need.

Have a great day!

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
dllewel #148089 09/24/06 03:52 PM
L
laurien Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
L
Dave-Nice to meet a fellow Utahn here. I work in South Jordan and live in Sandy. All I can say about your HT is... WOW!

And I definitely plan a drive-by on Halloween-my son is looking forward to it too!

Fordprefect-thank you for saying you like the EC I picked out. I don't think it is much of an exaggeration to say that I looked at every single EC and plasma stand in the known universe over the last month. But I think I did end up with something that fits the room and the future system really well. It doesn't arrive for another 2 weeks yet, so the jury is out still and I am anxious to see it in the room. I do believe in function over form, but only when you absolutely can't get both!

That is why I was so happy to find Axiom as every indication is that I will get great function and form combined with stellar customer service-all anybody wants-right? Even if I end up ordering 4 or 5 more finish samples.

Now if I could only pick a #!#!# receiver. I did read several manuals and then went back and read the owners forums and saw over and over again that lots of things are left out of the manuals-even if they are readable. I am afraid it is going to come down to flipping a coin and then I will just have to come back here for help on setting the darn thing up so I can get proper bass and sound regardless of audio or video format. I don't suppose there is some preferred wiring or setup guide somewhere on this forum that I haven't found yet, is there? Right now I am pretty much thinking the Yamaha 2600 but I read of some issues with it and the Denon 2910 DVD player-so I am back to looking at recommended DVD players.

And I get it that I need to buy a universal remote. One more thing to research...

My husband is starting to think that this whole purchase is just a disguised attempt to sit on my butt for hours on end typing on my computer.

Thanks for all your input guys!

-Laurie

laurien #148090 09/24/06 06:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
One reason it's so hard to make a receiver decision is that there isn't anywhere near as much difference between receivers as there is between speakers or even between players. Speakers are "more different" partly because they have a more difficult job to do, and partly because each company has a slightly different view of "what makes a good speaker".

Everyone agrees on "what makes a good receiver". You could buy any of the recommended units and be real happy with it.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
laurien #148091 09/28/06 11:23 PM
P
P
If you truly want a quality receiver that will match the quality of Axiom speakers find a NAD dealer and audition one of their receivers...It may not have all the bells and whistles of mass-market receivers, but in terms of sound it will blow all the aforementioned brands out of the water any day of the week. Cambridge Audio receivers aren't bad either.

ppaul #148092 10/02/06 09:33 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
ppaul, welcome. With all due respect...
Quote:

in terms of sound it will blow all the aforementioned brands out of the water any day of the week

You must know that this is debatable, at best. May we know upon what experience or criteria you base such an assertion?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #148093 10/04/06 09:55 PM
S
S
Let me jump in here with yet another brand. After years of JVC's and Yammy's I jumped up a bit to Arcam. Mind blowing! Give this stuff a listen. Seems to love the M80's. Very easy to set-up, less useless features more of the important stuff. My $.02

M-80's VP-150 QS-8's EP350 Arcam AVR 350 Arcam DV 137 Samsung HL-S 5087
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020