nickbuol #148150 09/25/06 09:33 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Generally things that require time and patience:

Building R/C planes.
Barbeque.
Landscaping our yard.
Home improvement.

My wife and I work pretty well as a team on the last two. She is a graphic designer and is super-crafty as women can be. So she has an artists eye. Myself, not so much. But I like doing the grunt work and I've learned to do the handyman/DIY construction thing pretty well. Wish I'd been gifted with my Dad's innate ability to just see how things work. He was one of those guys who, never having seen the insides of (car/boat/house/electrical cabinet/etc) would just say "Looks like we just need to do this here and that there and it should be dandy" and damned if he wasn't right every time. And he was an accountant. On the other hand, I've spent many hours learning wiring schematics and symbols and signal paths etc and still can't get some things to work.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
Re: Other Hobbies
nickbuol #148151 09/25/06 09:41 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Cool thread! I like to:

- collect comic books. 9000 and counting, mostly from the 70s and 80s. A few Silver Age gems in there too, mostly Amazing Spiderman (#4), the Incredible Hulk, and X-Men.

- collect Simpsons memorabilia, especially the Playmates line of action figures with the voice chips in the playsets

- collect animation cels, mainly of the Simpsons

- see every Rush tour since 1986, save for two

- play disc golf

Now I'm settling into Dad mode, with a one-year old. I need to update his web page, work on the yard, and post some pix of the HT on this site. You guys are my new hobby!

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
nickbuol #148152 09/26/06 04:00 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Nowadays, when I have time for myself, I like to:
Play tennis.....tough to do unless you do it regularly.
Golf
Surf
Volleyball

Other than that, it is being involved with the kids and their activities.

curtis #148153 09/26/06 07:56 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In my off-time, I enjoy cycling (light to moderate mtb trail riding), photography (digital, film, processing and printing - had a B&W white darkroom from the time I was 8 years old), sports (currently play recreational sponge hockey and pick up games of soccer and baseball), various motorsports (snowmobiling, quadding, 4x4ing with a buddy, motorcycle cruising when I get the chance), used to play tournament paintball (and was a licensed referee and airsmith), like to get in as much recreational gun use as possible without an FAC (at the farm - I don't have a cache of illegal weapons - this means you, CSIS), also like spending free time out at the farm, I find it somewhat relaxing to work on the machinery out there - everything's built to be fixed... and no small parts!

Bren R.

BrenR #148154 09/26/06 05:32 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Looking after my kids(5 & 2) during the day is my number 1 thing to do right now.

I started running to lose some weight 4yrs ago, dropped 25 lbs that first year. I have now incorpareted weight training again. I may just get back to nearly the same condition I was in when I was 20 years younger.

Watersking was a huge passion for many years but no boats available for the last few years.

Building and rebuilding computers.

Would very much like to get a kit car, AC Cobra replica to build up sometime in the future

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #148155 09/26/06 08:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I am a member of the Canadian Ski Patrol, promoting safe sliding and providing EMS on the hills to unfortunate sliders. This is my major winter hobby, as I am lucky enough to travel North America skiing for free.

Recently my son introduced me to geology, and I have spent many days in abandon mines, quarries, and such, digging up rocks, minerals, fossils, etc. I took him - he is 11 years old - on a trip to Bancroft Ontario, and was amazed at how much I enjoyed myself!!!

I also golf, play basketball, and generally spend most of my time with my son, as he has just come to live with me.

BBIBH #148156 09/26/06 08:33 PM
aficionado
aficionado
This was an interesting idea, Nick....

When not watching TV or listening to music, i'm usually trying to get a game of golf, baseball or hockey in, depending on the season. If drinking and socializing count as hobbies then you can mark me down for both of those as well. There are plenty of other activities i enjoy, but i can't profess to doing them often enough to consider them a hobby. (Peter, you may take that out of context any way you wish )

"Chickens don't clap."
nickbuol #148157 09/26/06 10:20 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Other things I do.... a good bit of reading fiction and non, lots of moves/films to watch, urban hiking (walking around SF never gets boring), indoor climbing (I enjoy climbing on real rocks, but I am at the mercy of my friends wanting to), PC gaming (World of Warcraft is a life suck), occasional console gaming (Guitar Hero is fried chicken flavored crack- do not ever play this game or you will become jobless trying to complete expert). There is more, but that's topping the list lately.

james

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
James_T #148158 09/26/06 11:27 PM
Let's see... well, there's the scifi/(some) fantasy reading, PC gaming (WoW for me, too...), computer tinkering, very occasional woodworking, and less and less SCA.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #148159 09/26/06 11:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
- Computer crap on my Macs
- Home Theatre (of course)
- My 2nd job of clearing out my HD Tivo shows (you Tivo users know what I mean)
- Vball league
- Running
- Cyclocross racing (though I'm not ready for the new
season)
- Road cycling (I'm no lance though)
- Adventure racing (just did a sprint and it was a blast. Kayak/Run/moutain biking)
- Keeping my 17 mo old from putting toys into my Hsu VTF2
- Gaming (mostly my DS Lite but can't wait for the Wii)
- Snowboarding
- Considering rock crawling as I just bought a 2007 FJ Cruiser. Looking for a lift kit and some armor before I head out.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters