Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: DIY Ceiling Texture?
Hutzal #149976 10/23/06 09:25 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Quote:

Do you do a first coat of very fine mud spraying first? Let that dry 100%, then do a larger nozzel on top of the already first layer? I have read this is a good way of doing it...

NO, I haven't and I doubt I ever will. I like to get things done fast so I can move on to the next step. Same with contractors.

And also, i have read that you can just use regular all purpose mud compound and mix it with water to thin it down to a pancake like mix.

Do you HAVE to use the powder mix with water?

No, the powder is just easier to work with. You'll need a 1/2 drill and a power mixer

I would also have to tape/mud/sand all the joints prior to spraying to create an even surface. So either way I'll be taping! I used the mesh tape in the rest of the theatre room, so I am sure it will work great again.

Good luck. You should do the standard three coat mudding. first coat is a 'bead' coat with a 3" trowel. then you go to the second coat with light weight topping compound and a six inch trowel. then go over it again lightly with a 12" trowel. I don't sand between coats, but just scrape with a trowel. Sanding is an art. Don't sand too much or you will have valleys when painted. Just feather sand. I usually paint a light coat of primer over the joints so I can see my screw ups, then i fix them and spray texture. Then I prime the whole thing with a good primer/sealer.

I've also tried the textured paint Peter mentioned. I didn't like it. It may just be the type I used, but this one had a texture like sand paper.

michael_d #149977 10/23/06 09:45 PM
Hutzal Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
First things first, is this your trade? You sound like you have done this mutiple times before...

>>NO, I haven't and I doubt I ever will. I like to get things done fast so I can move on to the next step. Same with contractors.

I am concerned with coverage...Will 1 coat of 1" - 1 1/2" splots cover even the low lying areas on the ceiling?

>>Good luck. You should do the standard three coat mudding.

I am glad you told me this, I was intending to do only 1 if I was texturing figuring the spray on would cover any deficiency's.

>>Then I prime the whole thing with a good primer/sealer.

You prime every time on the texture? Even if the surface will be white? Do you use flat or eggshell for the average ceiling in a hallway for example?

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #149978 10/23/06 11:39 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Quote:

First things first, is this your trade? You sound like you have done this mutiple times before...

No, thank God. I've just built a few homes for myself and friends that can talk me into it. I'm a project manager by trade. Oil and gas and power generation mostly, some buildings.

I am concerned with coverage...Will 1 coat of 1" - 1 1/2" splots cover even the low lying areas on the ceiling? I don't understand this question. Just spray until you've got the coverage you want.

I am glad you told me this, I was intending to do only 1 if I was texturing figuring the spray on would cover any deficiency's. No, sorry. Not unless you want to go with that 70s popcorn crap. Get the joints as good as you can or you'll be sorry.

You prime every time on the texture? Even if the surface will be white? Do you use flat or eggshell for the average ceiling in a hallway for example?

Yes, you should prime the texture too. Just like rock, the paint will bleed through if you don't and then you'll be painting numerous coats to even it out. Then in a year or two, you'll have to paint it again. Use primer, always. If you are gong with a dark paint, use a dark primer. I never use flat. It's too damn hard to keep clean. And when you do clean it, it will rub off to some degree. Egg shell is better if you don't want shinny. Otherwise, I use semi-gloss enamel. I like the kitchen and bath stuff the best. It holds up the best.

michael_d #149979 10/24/06 03:00 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Sounds like a lot of great advice here, so I won't add much to the mix except this. I have done orange peel, knockdown, and larger "blob" type texture. ALL of it is pretty dare easy to do, and it kinda fun (but VERY messy) to do.

You will just have to get up the nerve to do it, and give it a whirl. Just try it out on a scrap piece of drywall if you want to test the texture out before "knocking" it down.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Hutzal #149980 10/24/06 11:18 AM
shareholder in the making
I'll ask my brother (who still lives at the house) to take a pic or two of the ceiling.

michael_d #149981 10/24/06 01:48 PM
Hutzal Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
>>I don't understand this question. Just spray until you've got the coverage you want.

For some reason in my head I am thinking that it will only spray out larger globs, leaving some areas un-sprayed with mud.

But if I only have to do it once, thats awsome!

pmbuko,

That would be great, thanks.

Last edited by Hutzal; 10/24/06 01:49 PM.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #149982 10/24/06 07:18 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Have you ever sprayed paint with a air atomizing or HVLP gun before? If so, it's the same method. You don't ever hold the gun in one place, but sweep back and forth until you gave the coverage you are looking for. With paint, you do this with multiple coats. With texture, it is done in one coat. That one coat however means that you spray an a wall and spray it imediately again if you want more texture on it. You don't wait for it to dry and then spray again like paint. Make sense?

Later........I have to build a DVD rack today.

Hutzal #149983 10/24/06 08:16 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Here are pics of the ceiling Peter did.

A wide shot:

Closer view of the texture:

Hope it's what you're looking for.

AdamP88 #149984 10/24/06 08:45 PM
This is an old picture of my old projector DIY mount, but you can kinda see my texture as well.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #149985 10/24/06 08:58 PM
Hutzal Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks for all the help guys, this truly is an all purpose board!

I will probably be going the route of renting a sprayer and doing the ceilings with the knock down look.

Hopefully will be done within the month, I need to wire the threatre room first though! Sheesh, If i would have known the money and time involved, I would not have started to research speakers prior to finishing the basement, it makes me want them more and more!

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082